Thread: 2008 Cobalt 2.4 tuning questions

2008 Cobalt 2.4 tuning questions

EDIT: It's actually a 2007

Can someone tell me how much can be gained with tuning one of these? 2007 Cobalt SS 2.4 Auto, stock with a cold air intake. I've been watching The Tuning Schools GenIII/Gen IV videos and it seems a lot applies to these also. I think I unnderstand the torque management tables changes but I'm mostly wondering if any gains can be had with timing adjustements and what to change in the trans.
    Thanks
    Last edited by jr2185; 10-25-2017 at 03:06 PM.

I don't think it's worth it unless you plan to throw a turbo on...then you'll actually notice the power increase. You could probably make an extra 25 hp but that would be in the high rpm ranges.
    Silver 2007 Ion Redline w/comp. package, K04 Turbo, forged 9.5:1 pistons

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    depends on the work you put into it. ~15-25
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    I run na because of rules. (Circle track car) so 25 hp would be a significant improvement. Car will be running in 5000-7000 rpm range. Looking for a tune to get the extra hp?

Quote Originally Posted by jr2185 View Post
    EDIT: It's actually a 2007

Can someone tell me how much can be gained with tuning one of these? 2007 Cobalt SS 2.4 Auto, stock with a cold air intake. I've been watching The Tuning Schools GenIII/Gen IV videos and it seems a lot applies to these also. I think I unnderstand the torque management tables changes but I'm mostly wondering if any gains can be had with timing adjustements and what to change in the trans.
    Thanks
    Playing with the timing is something you can do at your own risk and if you don't know what knock sounds then you're playing with fire in a bomb factory. I have a 2006 LE5 (stock forged crank/rods) and get false knock, so I took the risk to detune the sensors to gain notable power, then again I am running a turbo at ~18psi with a big meth jet. Maybe run 93 octane only and force High Octane timing by copying it into the Low Octane table.

If you plan to leave everything as-is, you can get a large incremental improvement with a good value hp-per-dollar gain by converting to E85 + big injectors or just installing a meth injection kit. With E85 and meth injection you'll gain torque/power by advancing timing even more to overcome the heat generating/air density killing supercharger.
    E67 - 2006 LE5 2.4 Turbo, 444 whp
    E78 - 2013 LUV 1.4T