Thread: Running an Ecotec standalone with no cam position sensor?

Potential Tuner

Running an Ecotec standalone with no cam position sensor?

I'm in the process of swapping a 2.0 Ecotec into a RWD application. I already have a B207R from an 05 Saab 9-3, and plan on using an engine harness/ECU from an LSJ Cobalt, making it standalone.

My problem is that the Saab engine does not have a cam position sensor, and instead used an ionization module off the back of the head. I would prefer to delete that if possible, as it takes up precious space towards the firewall.

Is is possible to run the engine without either the CPS or the ionization module?

Tuner in Training
    We have run the saab motor w/o the cam or ionization module, but went with the gm mefi controller in the race car application. Steve

Just fit an LSJ cam sensor at the exhaust position on your Saab B207R. Most likely you have a vacuum pump connected there now?
    Only issue is that you probably need to run an LSJ exhaust cam where the hexagon drive is correctly timed for the sensor... (or correctly time the Saab hex drive)
    LSJ cams have more lift than the B207R turbo cams anyway.

Turbo or SC? Running a B207R myself with LSJ ecu + Harrop etc.

Potential Tuner
    I was hoping to avoid having either of the modules sticking out of the back of the head. Worse case scenario, I'd have to trim the firewall.

I plan on running a Borg Warner S252.

Ah, it's a space issue... I once had to move a distributor to the front of the engine for that same reason. European 4 cil turbo C20LET engine. Maybe that is an idea for the cam sensor, but lots of fabrication...

Before I simply fitted the LSJ head + cam sensor in my rear engined car (Originally an L61/Z22SEe ngine), I had thought of putting the cam position wheel directly on the cam, inside the cam cover, and mount the sensor somewhere inside the engine. Or make that positioning profile onto a cam sprocket and mount the sensor there...