Thread: Swapped 2013 5.3 problems

Tuner in Training

Swapped 2013 5.3 problems

Swapped a 2013 5.3 with the 6L8oe trans into a 1963 chevy panel truck, well i couldnt get it started so i dragged it to a tuning shop. Short story the PCM/TCM didnt match so a different tune from a different year was up loaded, they kept the truck for days and here are the issues thus far..

truck weighs 4800 pounds
    3.73 gears
    235/70/15
    dyno 281hp and 301fp

WOT she wont shift from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th i have to let off the throttle for it to shift
    during hot start the valves clatter
    down shifting from 4th and 5th valves clatter, have to hit the gas hard and it down shifts 2 gears
    when the mass air flow is hooked up and the truck surges/varied RPM so ive been running with it unhooked
    Panel truck tune 1.hpt

I feel like you left some information out here.

Is the motor completely stock down to manifolds and sensors?

Did you change the size of the air intake?

Aside from that I see lots of problems within the tune file. You say the motor is from a 2013 but they inputted a tune file from a 2008 6.0 motor, so tons of parameters are likely to be incorrect. The MAF curve and VVE tables are still setup for the 6.0. Like the VVE tables are not even close to what a 5.3 runs from the factory.

The VVT settings for the cam are still setup for the 6.0 and not the 5.3 though that's not a huge deal.

That timing curve is one of the worst I've seen, they had no idea what they are doing there. They took away all the possible fuel economy and possible mid range torque out of by sloping the timing like they did and keep it exactly the same number throughout. Compare it with a stock timing curve and you'd see how different it was.

I wouldn't have maxed out the knock retard decay tables because now it's useless, put that back to stock.

You say you are running 3.73 gears and smaller tires but the tune is still set for 3.42 gears and 31in tires under the gear tire wizard in the edit tab.

So many little things are just wrong.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    This straight from the tuners, stock 5.3 with mid length headers and cold air intaketemp1 108.jpg

Tuner in Training
    currently going line by line returning the tune to stock parameters and then see what happens

Tuner in Training
    Spent the evening line by line changing everything back to stock so now i have to do a real tune, any advice?