Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 F150 w/ Whipple tune, trying to read it

Advanced Tuner

2017 F150 w/ Whipple tune, trying to read it

We put a small Whipple on a 17 F150. Sent the PCM to Whipple to be flashed(this was the only way they would do it) I tried to read the Whipple tune and of course the OS is different. I selected the TC-1791 option. It allowed me to save the file but won't let me look at it.

I emailed support last night.

Is there anyway around this at the moment? It's suppose to have 9psi and I have 14. It's pulling about 12 degrees of timing out up top. I don't know if it's in the tune or if it's knocking. I am unable to log the knock sensors in the Scanner so I have no way of knowing.

Thanks for any input.

Some of those calibrations are encoded. Have you tried using the Beta version?
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 15PSI View Post
    Some of those calibrations are encoded. Have you tried using the Beta version?
    Yes I tried with BETA last night. It couldn't identify the controller so I selected TC-1791(which is what the stock tune read as)it saved it but the definition is different now, which I expected.

Most of these cals do not broadcast an ID, so you have to manually select the controller.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Most of these cals do not broadcast an ID, so you have to manually select the controller.
    I selected the TC-1791 and it would read it. It gave me a checksum error but gave me the option to save it which I did.

I downloaded the new version of BETA this morning. The interesting thing is I tried to read it again, it didn't give me a checksum error or the option to save it. Instead I got his message. I clicked OK and it said Data Integrity Check failed. It's strange it let me read/save the tune last night but not today.

whipple1.pngwhipple2.jpg

I am new to this however I was planning on buying a Whipple setup with their cal for my gt350 and was planning on running their cal until I had enough cash to go e85. Does this mean that as long as I am running their cal I wont even be able to connect and log correctly? Would this include both the mpvi interface and or a NGuage? sorry to thread jack but the limitations of their cal interests me greatly.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by superman07 View Post
    I am new to this however I was planning on buying a Whipple setup with their cal for my gt350 and was planning on running their cal until I had enough cash to go e85. Does this mean that as long as I am running their cal I wont even be able to connect and log correctly? Would this include both the mpvi interface and or a NGuage? sorry to thread jack but the limitations of their cal interests me greatly.
    You can log it but you are limited to what you can see. One important thing being MAF period. The OS was unlocked by HPT.

Also if you change anything from Whipple's kit, they wont support you in tuning it. Boost, fuel type, etc. What I mean is they won't make the changes for you. So at the point you will have to tune it yourself or have it done.

I would "guess" if you wanted to tune it you would have to flash it back to stock and start over with HPT. I don't know if writing a HPT tune, a different cal/OS would somehow unlock the data stream or not.

Advanced Tuner
    Why is the data stream restricted? I ran into this issue last night.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by reubone View Post
    Why is the data stream restricted? I ran into this issue last night.
    because that's Whipples way to prevent from people from trying to retune their stuff would be my guess. Lund does something similar with his stuff but restricts a lot more.

Advanced Tuner
    What I would like to know is, if you read the Whipple tune, save it in HPT. If you reflash it will you be able to see everything in the data stream.

Tuning Addict
    Reflash the same whipple cal back in - no still can't see the data / only way to my knowledge is to reflash with Ford... I'm personally getting tired of this whipple and other like bull... Whipple at one time was setting up their F150's to where ALL data would disappear to the OBD network above a set rpm... It's not like their tunes are special or anything - it's just the background OS stuff that we don't have access to that makes keeping and using them worth having... EVERY whipple kit we've put on and not tuned - the customer has complained and complained about problems with drivability and engine issues... I think the Ford calibrator coming up with their cals needs to spend some more R&D time on the road testing and tweaking their setups...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Reflash the same whipple cal back in - no still can't see the data / only way to my knowledge is to reflash with Ford... I'm personally getting tired of this whipple and other like bull... Whipple at one time was setting up their F150's to where ALL data would disappear to the OBD network above a set rpm... It's not like their tunes are special or anything - it's just the background OS stuff that we don't have access to that makes keeping and using them worth having... EVERY whipple kit we've put on and not tuned - the customer has complained and complained about problems with drivability and engine issues... I think the Ford calibrator coming up with their cals needs to spend some more R&D time on the road testing and tweaking their setups...
    From what I was told they have a new Ford calibrator, I think he came from SCT. The tune up on this truck actually wasn't too bad.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, my 2014 GT500 had a lund tune, Ford dealer couldn't flash back to stock, so I had to buy a new ecu & start over. Lund wants $150 to set original ecu back to stock, I can buy a new ecu for $250. no need in putting it back stock, with ecu's that cheap. But either way, if you have lund tune it, you need to figure adding another $250 to the cost of the tune, since the ecu is effectively useless after they get done with it.

Forum post on Mustang6g there are folks with 5.0 mustangs with Whipple Cal that were able to download and modify. I wonder if this is new.

HPT has support for Ford Racing cals. After speaking to Ford calibration guy he mentioned that the Whipple kit is most likely using a Ford Racing calibration. This calibration is unique in that there are countermeasures in place to make it extremely difficult for aftermarket tuning company to disassemble the calibration and make sense of it. Also mentioned there are OBD2 countermeasures in place that allow required normal bus traffic and required monitors to run, but then ?fall offline? at a certain threshold. I verified this with Whipple for the Shelby F150 done by Tuscany.

Hey, I lived in Bozeman as a child, left in 8th / 9th grade. Awesome place.

Tuning Addict
    I was told by whipple that the OBD shutdown of the datastream was supposed to be done away with in all of the recent updates - I thought that was illegal anyway, but don't know the specifics of the laws to know for sure... If you have one shutting down the datastream, your supposed to be able to call whipple up and get the latest greatest cal that should fix this... It also makes for installing those fancy OBD boost and sensor readouts impossible for anyone thinking of doing that or wondering why they shut down at certain rpms before the update is done...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I was told by whipple that the OBD shutdown of the datastream was supposed to be done away with in all of the recent updates - I thought that was illegal anyway, but don't know the specifics of the laws to know for sure... If you have one shutting down the datastream, your supposed to be able to call whipple up and get the latest greatest cal that should fix this... It also makes for installing those fancy OBD boost and sensor readouts impossible for anyone thinking of doing that or wondering why they shut down at certain rpms before the update is done...
    I had not considered shutting down the data stream being illegal. I Lund doesn't shut his down, but it is veeerry limited.

Tuning Addict
    I don't know how it would apply to any of this, but I know vehicles in general can't be sold in the US unless they at least provide your usual SAE specific pids so anyone would be able to see them... That's government mandated... Now does this apply or transfer to the aftermarket - I personally think it should, but don't know?

I do know that according to whipple - they did this in an attempt to keep anyone from remapping their tunes - most importantly remapping their transmission side since supposedly no one had been able to get the transmissions right accept for them????? That's at least what they told me...
    Last edited by GHuggins; 01-10-2018 at 06:15 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

I am able to read my Whipple tune in HPTuners. Log it, and adjust it.