Thread: 1997 c1500 6.0l swap

Tuner in Training

1997 c1500 6.0l swap

needing some help still very new to hp tuners ! Just completed a 6.0l swap into my 1997 c1500 and also swapped in a 4l80 both came out of 2002 chevy 3500 I made my own harness and deleted the factory harness from the original 305. I tried to program the computer that came with the engine and not sure what happened all I tried to change was turning off rear o2 sensors deleted egr and turned off the security pats system and tried to rewrite file to ecm and now the ecm will not communicate so I went and got another ecm and hooked it up and this one will communicate again but I licenced my first ecm do I have to spend the credits again or is there a way to force a rewrite to my original ecm so I don't have to spend more credits ? any help would be great

You would have to spend two more credits to use the new computer.

Did you have a power interruption when writing the file? Can you even read the computer with either high speed mode or high speed switched off?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I didn't have a power interruption but my screen saver kicked in ? and I never tried to switch the high speed off I will try that in the morning when I get into the shop. I did try hooking up my snap on scanner to it but it wouldn't communicate either.

Okay, it might be bricked but it's hard to say why.

If you did a write entire for turning off the VATS and it completed and now won't do anything, I don't have much of a guess as to why it won't do anything now.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    not sure what you mean by bricked ? I'm guessing it means f@cked

Advanced Tuner
    Yes that's what bricked means its possibly a paper weight now, but before you give up hope drain ALL power. And attempt a write entire.

Yep. Like Oleblu said. Maybe you have already tried this but it is worth a go. Some just unhook them for 30 minutes but you can make sure to drain it by shorting the + and - battery cables and even turning on the ignition. It makes me nervous but sometimes it works. Good luck

Advanced Tuner
    Just curious why you did a rewrite. Just do a write calibration next time.

Tuner in Training
    do you still need credits to calibrate then ?

Tuner in Training
    to follow up my first question I had asked, I hooked my old ecm up again and turned off high speed connection and it took the file rewrite after a few ignition cycles truck started right up and ran good once I got the file to write. So on to my next problem and question the hp will communicate and seems to work good until I start the truck and then everything goes dead and no communication with ecm and as soon as you shut the truck off everything works again but I can't get running data ? any Ideas ? I don't understand why I lose communication when running ? and also is there somewhere I can get a tune to wake this stock 6.0l up a bit no engine mods.

Advanced Tuner
    I would make sure all your wiring is correct.

Tuner in Training
    ok so another question still cant get the ecm to communicate when running but last night I noticed when I finally got to take it on a road test that as soon as I got above 2200-2400 rpm it would start logging data and as well when I stepped on the brake pedal it would start logging as well ? any ideas I've doubled checked all grounds and everything seems to check out ?

Check for correct wiring at the ALDL plug.