Thread: 32lbs/min stock(?) LS2 injector scaling

Tuner in Training

32lbs/min stock(?) LS2 injector scaling

Hi,

I recently discovered that my ls1 appears to have ls2 injectors (and an ls2 intake manifold). The injectors have black bodies with blue bands at the top, and they have a USCAR style ovaled plug.

Assuming I'm right, does anyone have scaling information for these injecctors?

Do you have a vacuum regulator or you are running a fixed 58 psi of fuel pressure?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I'm running a fixed 58psi at the rail.

I found repositories online, so I copied and pasted the stock "Flow Rate vs KPA" numbers from a 2006 GTO to a stock 2004 GTO ROM. Hopefully that does it, but it's just a guess.

I'm also running a 92mm throttle body, but I'm not sure how to tune that in HPT.

I haven't tested it with the new injector config, but it felt like it was making about 100hp. It feels like it's running a little lean, and the plugs have no burned fuel on them, despite the fact that if I'm running a larger injector, it should be running rich without a tune.

There aren't settings for a 92mm throttle body, it's a cable throttle body and not a drive by wire unit that you'd have to adjust the throttle scaler settings.

All the tuning for that would be done with idle airflow and your VE and MAF tuning if using a MAF.

You should be able to set the flow rate to 32lb/hr if the pressure never changes.

You need a wideband on there to really tell how it's running. O2 sensor data can only give you so much. Don't forget that you change more than just injectors so running rich because the injectors are larger is likely to not be the case. A larger throttle body, larger intake, different exhaust can all lead to it being lean.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    There aren't settings for a 92mm throttle body, it's a cable throttle body and not a drive by wire unit that you'd have to adjust the throttle scaler settings.
    I couldn't find tha throttle scaler settings anywhere.

You should be able to set the flow rate to 32lb/hr if the pressure never changes.
    So just enter all 32s in the "Flow Rate vs KPA" map? Why are they varied from the factory ROMs? Do they not have steady pressure at the rail?

You need a wideband on there to really tell how it's running. O2 sensor data can only give you so much. Don't forget that you change more than just injectors so running rich because the injectors are larger is likely to not be the case. A larger throttle body, larger intake, different exhaust can all lead to it being lean.
    Well, I don't have any O2 or wideband data yet since it's running open headers. I still have to make an exhaust for it with some O2 bungs.

Just for grins I took a log of WOT in first gear. This thing is dirt slow, but if you don't mind, take a look and see if something is way off.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re-read what I typed, cable throttle body cars DO NOT have a throttle table to mess with, that is why you do not need to see it.

If you had a vacuum regulator, the pressure would change from idle to WOT. Some cars even have the regulator in the fuel pump, it will change in pressure that way too. If your fuel pressure is going to a constant 58psi, the flow rate can be a constant 32lb/hr because the pressure is not changing.

http://injectordynamics.com/articles...ure-explained/

What puzzles me so much is why would someone go full throttle in a untuned vehicle? It's just asking for a failure or problem.

It's dirt slow because it needs a ton of tuning. Look at the timing drop to negative numbers when you can it, look at how low the timing advance is even when it comes back around. 12 degrees of timing at WOT is at least 12-14 degrees less timing than it should be running at full throttle on a NA motor.

If the tune is wrong, bad airflow and fueling tables. Tables not setup correctly for speed density, for open loop without o2 sensors, for a tune that you have no idea what the actually fueling in real time is like then yeah it's going to be slow or worse become damaged. Also if that was pedal to the floor, you need to adjust the cable or TPS sensor as you only saw 93.3% on the blade.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 07-29-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, if i put the log and the specs of the car (1700lbs) into Virtual Dyno, it's telling me that it has about 60hp and 77 tq.

This thing is slower than dirt. Something is really off. This motor in this car should be terrifying.

Finish the exhaust, install the o2 sensors and a wideband.

Then you can fully tune everything in and get it running up to snuff.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    What puzzles me so much is why would someone go full throttle in a untuned vehicle? It's just asking for a failure or problem.
    A first gear WOT pull on a 1700lb car for a few seconds isn't going to blow the thing up. At worst it would knock if the tune was too aggressive, and i'd get off the throttle. With timing so low that it's in the negatives at idle, that's not much of a worry.

Moreover, this isn't some crazy motor. It's a stock LS1 with shorty headers and some LS2 OEM parts bolted to it. I'm not running a turbo setup without a tune.

Also if that was pedal to the floor, you need to adjust the cable or TPS sensor as you only saw 93.3% on the blade.
    Yeah, it hit 100 the other day, but the cable must have moved or stretched. I'll tinker with it.