Thread: E82 ecu

Potential Tuner

E82 ecu

Does anyone know anything about this computer being "hacked" for a flex fuel sensor addition? I'm wanting to add flex fuel to my 16' v6 camaro but there's no word on anyone getting into this computer to unlock this yet. Thanks in advance for the help!

Advanced Tuner
    From the factory GM has Flex Fuel enabled but using a virtual sensor. So it is basing it off of calculations to assume alcohol levels.

So it is very possible to install a flex fuel sensor in line of your fuel system, and then find the pin location on the PCM for flex fuel sensor input. And then go into the tune and select Sensor instead of Virtual.

The PCM is not locked. Simply just have to purchase credits to license the PCM then tune away.

I wouldn't use the word "hack" as that is very ignorant.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    From the factory GM has Flex Fuel enabled but using a virtual sensor. So it is basing it off of calculations to assume alcohol levels.

So it is very possible to install a flex fuel sensor in line of your fuel system, and then find the pin location on the PCM for flex fuel sensor input. And then go into the tune and select Sensor instead of Virtual.

The PCM is not locked. Simply just have to purchase credits to license the PCM then tune away.

I wouldn't use the word "hack" as that is very ignorant.
    From my understanding someone has already tried to use the pin out that's the same one on the e92 ecu. They were getting the sensor to read the alcohol content etc. but the sensor would work on and off randomly. So I'm guessing it wasn't the correct pin out? How would I be able to find the correct pin out? My computer is already unlocked also.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like a error in the wiring to the PCM or the sensor itself, to intermittently work.

But you would need to get a hold of a wiring diagram for your specific vehicle. They would have a PCM connector pin out view as a available diagram.

You might try asking here on the forum/other forums to see if someone can get you that such data.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    Sounds like a error in the wiring to the PCM or the sensor itself, to intermittently work.

But you would need to get a hold of a wiring diagram for your specific vehicle. They would have a PCM connector pin out view as a available diagram.

You might try asking here on the forum/other forums to see if someone can get you that such data.
    I'll probably give my local chevy dealer a call and see if I can get something like that from them. Thanks for your help!

Advanced Tuner
    The E82 and E92 pinouts are totally different, in fact totally different ECU, totally different CPU even. Good luck with the dealer, they have access to wiring diagrams, but as far as I know, there's never been a vehicle produced with a discrete flex fuel sensor using an E82 ECM. You're left with trial and error: applying a proper frequency signal to every unused pin on the ECU, while monitoring the ethanol content data stream, with a flash in it that has the flex fuel sensor properly enabled.

Let us know if you find out, though!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    The E82 and E92 pinouts are totally different, in fact totally different ECU, totally different CPU even. Good luck with the dealer, they have access to wiring diagrams, but as far as I know, there's never been a vehicle produced with a discrete flex fuel sensor using an E82 ECM. You're left with trial and error: applying a proper frequency signal to every unused pin on the ECU, while monitoring the ethanol content data stream, with a flash in it that has the flex fuel sensor properly enabled.

Let us know if you find out, though!
    I'm gonna physically send my ecu to someone to find the flex fuel pinout for me (it's a little pricy). Hopefully it works out! I'll keep you guys updated.

Has anybody figured out which is the correct pin for adding a flex fuel sensor for the E82 ecu? Thx

Advanced Tuner
    There isn't one, unfortunately. I probed every single pin marked "unused" in the service manuals. It would seem that GM didn't include the circuitry in the E82 for a flex sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    There isn't one, unfortunately. I probed every single pin marked "unused" in the service manuals. It would seem that GM didn't include the circuitry in the E82 for a flex sensor.
    Thanks for the reply... I was considering adding a flex sensor to my 2017 Acadia that has the E82 with LGX. I looked at the tune and it has all the flex fuel tables populated and sensor set to virtual. I have read that a lot of people have had issues trying to run E85 off virtual calculations. Just boggles my mind that GM would have all the tables populated to run E then not have a pin out on the ECU to run a sensor.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1scls1z View Post
    Thanks for the reply... I was considering adding a flex sensor to my 2017 Acadia that has the E82 with LGX. I looked at the tune and it has all the flex fuel tables populated and sensor set to virtual. I have read that a lot of people have had issues trying to run E85 off virtual calculations. Just boggles my mind that GM would have all the tables populated to run E then not have a pin out on the ECU to run a sensor.
    GM uses a common code base (and calibration tables) for all of their gas engine controllers, regardless of the hardware configuration. One analogy might be that Windows operating system has built in support for IEEE-1394 controllers (e.g. the code is always available), regardless of whether the PC its running on has the actual controller, or not.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for putting in the effort where did you get the schematics if you don't mind me asking ? or maybe you wouldn't mind sharing.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
    Thanks for putting in the effort where did you get the schematics if you don't mind me asking ? or maybe you wouldn't mind sharing.
    I doubt anybody outside GM or its suppliers has the schematics (and if they did, it'd be risky to share them on a public forum). I simply made a list of all pins at the ECM that were listed as "unused" from the factory service manuals and probed each one looking for a change in the reported ethanol pct (none had any effect).