Thread: P01 Speed Density - 3 bar OS

Advanced Tuner

P01 Speed Density - 3 bar OS

Hello,

Looking for advice on getting a Speed Density - 3 bar OS in a P01 PCM.

I have a 1999 Silverado 1500 4.8L P01 PCM that does NOT have 3 bar OS as an option. (4.8L V8, 4L60E)
    I also have a 2000 Silverado 2500 6.0L P01 PCM that does have 3 bar OS as an option. (6.0L V8, 4L80E)
    Both vehicles are licensed already from previous tuning.

I am doing a twin turbo setup on the 1999 truck, almost ready for start up time. I am looking to find out what will be the best thing to do to get a 3 bar operating system into that truck.

1) Is there a way to do any kind of segment swap? (segment swap function is grayed out when I compare the 4l80 tune to my 4l60 tune)
    2) Can I swap the computers between the 2 trucks and have everything work properly? (if this, is any wiring or segment swaps needed)
    3) Do I need to find another P01 PCM that supports 3 bar operating system? (if this, what all vehicles used a P01 with 3 bar OS)

To add as a note to make everything more clear.

The 1999 Silverado no longer is running a 4L60E, it is a race truck with non-electronic automatic transmission. No other modules in the truck that the PCM will be trying to communicate with.

The 2000 Silverado is still a daily driver so would need all functions to work properly (if i was to do the PCM swaps between the vehicles, if that is even possible)

Attached are the tune files from both trucks.

1999 Silverado 1500 4.8L V8 - 4L60E.hpt
    2000 Silverado 2500 6.0L V8 - 4L80E.hpt

You can either flash the 2000 6.0L tune to the 4.8 PCM or swap computers, it doesn't matter.
    The only problem is going to be the VIN, HPT won't allow a VIN from a different year/model PCM. The segment swap isn't possible if the OS are different.
    If VIN is not an issue, you can swap PCMs or files. No wiring changes needed.
    All P01 PCMS are practically the same and you can flash any operating system to them without issues. So, you only need to find a tune file with 3 Bar support and everything you need to flash it to your existing PCM.
    The lack of 3 Bar support is not due to the PCM hardware but the OS present in it. I have flashed a lot of PCMs without 3 Bar support with a different OS and they worked good.

My advice would be to leave the 2000 alone and flash the 99 with another OS to have 3 Bar. I have a lot of files, let me check if I have one that suits your needs.

Regards.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you for the quick response.

So I could simply just write my 2000 6.0L tune into my 1999 4.8L PCM and tune off of that? (perform a write entire?)

And if I do that, then I will have the VIN from my 2000 6.0L in my 1999 4.8L PCM then (would think it is a 2000 6.0L PCM)? If that is the case and doesn't cause any issues with the engine side, then I am fine with that.

Advanced Tuner
    When I go to write the tune from my 2000 6.0L 4L80E P01 PCM into my 1999 4.8L 4L60E P01 PCM, do I need to perform a write entire?

Yes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you 5FDP.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Mark
    remember that a calibration only write will only change data fields that are changed under the currently installed OS. If you change OS on an ecu you have to perform the write entire in order to get the new OS to transfer. Once the OS transfer is done you can calibrate only as you start tuning again.
    writing calibration only from an alternate OS is a easy way to brick an ecu.

Yes was the short answer but your a guy that would want to know why.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    cobaltssoverbooster thank you very much for the detailed explaination.

Thank you

Potential Tuner
    Hello everyone,

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I currently have a p01 ECU (out of a 01 4.8l Silverado that only has the 2 bar OS option). I have a p01 tune file from a different vehicle/ECU that HAS the 3 bar OS. I already licensed my current ECU. If I want to flash the tune file that I have, would it only cost me two credits? also If I do this, would I then have the 3bar OS? Lastly, would I be able to make changes to the tune file after licensing it?
    Last edited by Project_Fox; 03-26-2022 at 03:46 PM.