Thread: Tuning for auxiliary fuel sources

Tuner in Training

Tuning for auxiliary fuel sources

I've been tuning on my 2016 3.5 ecoboost F150 for a while now. One issue I keep running into is the injector limit. After advancing SOI 35 degrees, max inj DC at 1.1, fuel pressure at 2800psi it was still hitting the injector limit. This whole time I've been running water-meth on 87 octane. Someone suggested removing the water-meth and going to 93 octane. That isn't going to happen. I drive 600-800 miles a week in it and the water-meth was an expensive investment I plan to keep using. Bagasu explained to me that the injector limit is based on how much fuel the PCM thinks it can inject within it's injection window. My short terms were -15 to -20. I'm assuming because of the water-meth. This has me thinking that the fuel trims are further shortening the injection window and therefore making the PCM think it could inject even less fuel. I've increased the injector slope to the point that the fuel trims are around -3 at WOT. That might not be the right way to do it but I wanted to see if that could get me around the injector limit. How are you guys with water-meth or some other auxiliary fuel sources compensating for it in the tune and allowing you to get around the injector limit?

Did you figure out how to compensate for it? I have played around with different methods on my 2013 and it works up to a certain point. With a 15gph nozzle and 50/50 I have it pretty dam good. But if I run 100% meth, the computer does not like whats happening and gets pissed. I already modeled manifold spacers for auxiliary injectors, but I am not sure how to get the tune to play nice with all the extra fuel without shutting down. It seems like the O2 sensors do not like the relationship between the measured lambda and the delivered fuel via the DI fuel injectors. I have considered going open loop at WOT to get around this, but CL WOT is awesome and I want it.

Tuner in Training
    No but it sounds like my injector limit issue is being caused by my lift pump voltages. That table is not yet available in the editor for my 2016. Your 2013 should have it though.