Thread: Questions

Potential Tuner

Questions

I have a few questions about hp tuners

1, If I open a pcm for a 99 camaro, does it use 2 credits each time i go into it or is it open for good?

2, If I find out it was locked by a previous tuner, how do you get it unlocked?

3, Is it better to tune on the track/street or the dyno?

4, Is it fairly easy to use and is there a place where I can learn what each function does?

1. You can open and view any tune file for free, so long as it was not a locked tune file. It only costs you 2 credits in your case (99 camaro) to license the tune to then be able to edit it. It costs you nothing after that and you can change the tune an unlimited amount of times once you license it. Some vehicles costs 4 credits to license but any of those older V8 controllers in 2 credits.

2. If it was locked, it must be unlocked by the person that locked it. That or buy a a different computer.

3. Either, it doesn't matter. I've street tuned everything, as do like 90% of the people that buy this product. Owning a shop or dyno for that matter is not something most have.

4. It's easy to use and learn if you want it to be, not everything learns and understands at the same speed. Buy a book or two, sign up for a class if you want to gain knowledge. Greg Banish sells a engine management advanced tuning book to help new learners understand what the engine is doing, it's not a step by step tuning book. A member on here by the name of Mowton sells a course you can take to learn the software, it's a pretty great bargin. Past that you need to do lots of reading, play with the HP Tuners software to get yourself used to it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    1. You can open and view any tune file for free, so long as it was not a locked tune file. It only costs you 2 credits in your case (99 camaro) to license the tune to then be able to edit it. It costs you nothing after that and you can change the tune an unlimited amount of times once you license it. Some vehicles costs 4 credits to license but any of those older V8 controllers in 2 credits.

2. If it was locked, it must be unlocked by the person that locked it. That or buy a a different computer.

3. Either, it doesn't matter. I've street tuned everything, as do like 90% of the people that buy this product. Owning a shop or dyno for that matter is not something most have.

4. It's easy to use and learn if you want it to be, not everything learns and understands at the same speed. Buy a book or two, sign up for a class if you want to gain knowledge. Greg Banish sells a engine management advanced tuning book to help new learners understand what the engine is doing, it's not a step by step tuning book. A member on here by the name of Mowton sells a course you can take to learn the software, it's a pretty great bargin. Past that you need to do lots of reading, play with the HP Tuners software to get yourself used to it.
    thank you sir.