Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tuning advice, boosted ls1

Tuner in Training

tuning advice, boosted ls1

hey everyone new tuner here, recently fell into a boosted Camaro Z28 M6 , and kind of fell in love with it, so decided to dive back into this car stuff, so a little about the car....98 ls1 with stock ecm, 317 heads, btr .660 springs, ticks turbo cam, bbk intake, 76mm on 3 kit, currently running 5lbs, stock bottom end , deka 60 injectors, racetronix kit and a wal 255 pump holds steady at 62psi, might be missing a few items but that's most of it... oh yeah its running an SD tune

so anyways looking for any and all tuning help and suggestions , ive done quite a bit of reading before and after purchasing my hptuners pro, but would love to hear anyones input on how to make things easier or what to look for in my tune, Ive only logged some LTFT and made small adjustments after seeing that the map was around 8-10 percent lean in the cruising areas, i've smoothed the VE and spark maps , I also pulled 4 Degrees of timing from most of the map until VE was adjusted.

overall the car runs well, the only issues being small spikes of knock mostly at 2,800 rpm which I'm pretty sure is some kind of harmonics , the exhaust dumps from the turbo next to the transmission on passenger side and you can def hear that's where the engine exhaust starts changing notes, and knock under WOT shifts, mostly 3rd to 4th gear.

aside from the knock, the only other issues this far is when the car is in warm up mode after a cold start (90 degrees ambient) the best I can describe it would be when the car is switching over from cold start to operating temp, it will fall on its face from what the wideband says is a lean condition during a shift, and will spudder for a sec before coming back

Again thank you in advance for any advice
    98 camaro - ls1, turbo , t56, 9" rear, viking coilovers, umi tubular components, weld wheels
    54 chevy 3100 - 5.3, 10bolt, 4 link, coilover setup, custom tubular frame members
    92 miata death cart

Post the tune and logs.

Only real way for us to see what's going on.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    ok, might sounds silly but how do I upload them?
    98 camaro - ls1, turbo , t56, 9" rear, viking coilovers, umi tubular components, weld wheels
    54 chevy 3100 - 5.3, 10bolt, 4 link, coilover setup, custom tubular frame members
    92 miata death cart

Use the advanced reply and use the attachment icon to post the tune/logs.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training

most recent tune

did this work ?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    92 miata death cart

Tuner in Training
    random knock in this log
    Attached Files Attached Files
    92 miata death cart

Tuner in Training
    so after downloading 2 boosted files , I'm really curious to see how yall review mine, to me (obviously rookie tuner) but geez did they look horrible, maps had deep drops and raises all over the place
    92 miata death cart

Tuner in Training
    5fdp , was you able to view My tune posted ?
    92 miata death cart

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Looks like your trying to compensate for pump gas that is labeled as 10% ethanol content. If your doing this leave it at 14.68 because the e10 is more like e5 when you separation test it at the pump and its not worth calculating for. i would start accounting for ethanol content at e47 which is roughly 15% more fuel required and comes to a gas equivalent stoich of 12.05. E47 is popular because its ~50/50 blend. equal parts of e85 and e10 (pump 91) in full strength comes to e47.5 but factoring travel time and moisture collection in the well you can easily drop that to e46.

SD tune sets maf priority higher than target zone which you have not done.
    Maf is enabled at 4 rpm yet set to fail at 0 hz. counter intuitive. if you want to SD tune raise enable rpm to max value otherwise leave maf enable alone set maf fail hz to max value so that it doesnt immediately fail out. the second half of that will give you a maf only tune. if you decide to run maf mode only then enable the p0101/102/103 ses check box. if your maf fails electronically this is what turns the light on. if its unchecked the code will pop but the light wont turn on. (ses = service engine soon)

defco is enabled which will cause lean read errors on deceleration. you can turn it off by raising enable temp to max value.
    its possible to filter that data out but i turn it off when i do it.

your cold pe tps setting is super low. your pe is going to come on in cruise/acceleration
    pe and be enrichment values look fine considering your stoich afr value. if you change stoich you have to go back and change the enrichment values.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 07-25-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    colbaltss : thank you sir, this is the kind of stuff I need to learn, and I appreciate all the input, I may of not mentioned but I don't not have a maf sensor installed, so anything that has to do with that I def want to be turned off, also if I set stoichmetric to 14.68 from the 14.3 its set at now, will this cause a lean/rich condition to any of my maps?
    92 miata death cart

Tuner in Training
    set tps cold pe to 70 across the board?
    92 miata death cart

Tuner in Training
    ttt
    92 miata death cart

70 will be a good start. I use a dyno to verify crossover tps but if your not going to use one for now that will be safe.
    by setting it back to 14.68 it might change ve and maf settings as its commanding a leaner value which means your logs would be a little bit rich if you tuned on them when it was set at 14.3. (rough vcm value if tuned dead on at 14.3 should report back -2.5% when commanding 14.68)

Tuner in Training
    ok thank you! one thing I was not able to located what you meant by the MAF priority, where do I find that the MAF is enabled at 4 rpm ? I think I was able to cure my cold to operating temp stumble or lean condition by raising dfco enable temp, does this sound correct as well?

Is there any way for me to set commanded afr to my charts and graphs? thanks again for all the help
    92 miata death cart

Tuner in Training
    I feel like I keep having more and more questions, but looking at my VE map, is it true that the richest part of each map(kpa) column should be around 4,800 rpm and then slightly taper or hold fairly steady , or is this going to be strictly based off my WOT test pulls
    92 miata death cart

ve and maf tables are airflow tables. everyone says they are fuel tables but these tables are for airflow modeling.
    if you increase a cell the ecu thinks that cell requires more airflow thus spraying more fuel.
    if that makes sense then its easy to understand why the ve table produces a hump that tapers off. the high spot in the hump is where the engine is producing maximum efficiency and as you exceed the efficiency range of the engine the ve will taper back off as its not capable of moving that amount of air anymore. Racing manifolds still have the hump but when designed for high rpm ranges the hump just moves further up in the rpm range.

the 4 rpm threshold can be found under 'Airflow-Dynamic-High RPM Disable' if you roll the mouse over the blue highlighted name you can read the description per hpt at the bottom of that window which reads...."[ECM] 3003 - Dynamic Airflow High RPM Disable: Above this RPM use filtered MAF airmass for airmass prediction calculations."
    easier definition..."when above this rpm, maf sensor will be used instead of ve"

you could but it wont really do you any tuning good. i would log your standard ve using ltft+stft and use a filer that states commanded afr must be equal to 14.68 or whatever you target stoich value in the tune file is set to. as the O2 sensors dont work in wot anyways, this filter will remove the PE values.
    anything lower than the commanded value you will use afr error which is a math function that compares the commanded ecu afr to the afr logged by the scanners I/O ports.

This would be an example histogram for tuning the VE off fuel trims:
    Trim Error.png

This would be an example histogram for tuning WOT VE via AFR Error:
    WOT Error.png

Tuner in Training
    ahh ok, so this would disable maf completely ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    92 miata death cart

Tuner in Training
    also I made this histogram chart, but I don't believe I have the necessary channels set , I believe that's why I get the red outline around the small icon?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    92 miata death cart

Red outline indicates a filter is enabled on that channel.
    Setting up a histogram doesn't mean the maf is disabled, you still have to do that in the editor.