Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylair WOT Cylair Max

Tuner in Training

Cylair WOT Cylair Max

1 When is Clyair WOT multiplier active? IE load, RPM, TP, ETC
    2 When is Clyair Max multiplier active? IE load, RPM, TP, ETC
    3 What toggles need to be enabled or disabled for these to be used?
    4 Are these multipliers MAF * multiplier?
    Thank you

Tuner in Training
    Any help? An old post to look at? My search just came back to crank it up.

Senior Tuner
    The computer uses the MAF value to get an air mass value.

The Cylair filter enables fords speed density values to compare to the MAF value. Fords speed density works off a statistical model. The quad, slope, and offset are parts of a regression line that is most probable value of MAP and air mass for given RPM. The Cylair max multiplier is the maximum value applied to the MAF calculated airmass value to balance the regression equations for calculated MAP.

The Cylair anticipation takes it a step further and calculates the airmass that is in the cylinder when the intake valve closes.

Cylair WOT is active when pedal position is WOT and cylair filter is enabled
    Cylair max is active when Cylair filter is enabled and pedal is not WOT.
    If cylair anticipation is enabled final airmass is no longer directly from MAF or the statistical model filtered MAF. With out it fuel will be based off MAF/model and not what ecu calculates will be going into cylinder.
    Multipliers are applied to airmass calculated from MAF to match model. It can be anywhere from 0 to max value. The stock model is good until the calculated MAP max.

I suggest setting WOT multiplier to the max load you see plus 5% and setting the max no more than 1.05 unless partial throttle some how exceeds 100% engine load.
    If you are boosted and don't want to recalculate speed density model then disable filter.
    I would suggest leaving anticipation on NA or FI to get a more accurate airmass ether from just MAF or MAF/model.

When dialing in a MAF curve using fuel trims/ lambda error I would suggest disabling the filter unless you are fairly close to stock.
    The speed density model couldn't be recalculated until the MAF curve is accurate.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post

The Cylair filter enables fords speed density values to compare to the MAF value. Fords speed density works off a statistical model. The quad, slope, and offset are parts of a regression line that is most probable value of MAP and air mass for given RPM. The Cylair max multiplier is the maximum value applied to the MAF calculated airmass value to balance the regression equations for calculated MAP.

The Cylair anticipation takes it a step further and calculates the airmass that is in the cylinder when the intake valve closes.

If cylair anticipation is enabled final airmass is no longer directly from MAF or the statistical model filtered MAF. With out it fuel will be based off MAF/model and not what ecu calculates will be going into cylinder.
    Multipliers are applied to airmass calculated from MAF to match model. It can be anywhere from 0 to max value. The stock model is good until the calculated MAP max.

I suggest setting WOT multiplier to the max load you see plus 5% and setting the max no more than 1.05 unless partial throttle some how exceeds 100% engine load.
    If you are boosted and don't want to recalculate speed density model then disable filter.
    I would suggest leaving anticipation on NA or FI to get a more accurate airmass ether from just MAF or MAF/model.

When dialing in a MAF curve using fuel trims/ lambda error I would suggest disabling the filter unless you are fairly close to stock.
    The speed density model couldn't be recalculated until the MAF curve is accurate.
    Thanks. That was pretty well written. Was that something you just wrote or was that a quote from somewhere? If so, where?

Senior Tuner
    Just wrote it. There are no resources that go in to depth of how it all works. Patents and and understanding of high level math is about all you get.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Murfie
    The car (CV 2011) is boosted. I can't control AFR in boost. I keep adding to the MAF table until maxed and still lean. Next I max out the cylair ( both max and WOT) went so rich it would hardly run. I am thinking I should increase the cylair WOT only and then readjust MAF table. Does this sound like a good plan?

Always great info. I've been playing with this on my S550 with longtube headers and a cobra jet intake. Trims seem to be a little more consistent, and OL trims are still 0-2%. I would think that the SD would be dramatically changed by the cobra jet, but maybe not?

I've been really hammering myself on trying to get a grip on tuning the SD portion before I start digging into it. My displayed air load is also more consistent with the cylair turned on. I'm still seeing overall pretty low air load, which is disappointing, but I have good MAF data (supplied by PMAS), and finally have good injector data. I still wonder if there is something I am missing, but I'm seeing 49-50lbs/min.

Senior Tuner
    Interesting I am seeing 48-49lb/min with Gt350r setup

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Interesting I am seeing 48-49lb/min with Gt350r setup
    Yea, they shouldn't be too far off from each other. Also figure differences in DA. I've been playing with other stuff, so I haven't done much with the VCT. I've made a few obvious tweaks but it needs more work on a dyno.

Senior Tuner
    So here the thing about comparing MAF to a regression line SD. You will always have high and low out lying data. This will be multiplied accordingly and hopefully over the long run average out to the regression line. It works on stock and near stock applications.

Now lets think about modifications like intake manifolds and throttle bodies that really increase the mass air flow values. When being compared to the SD high outlying data will be more prevalent. Keep in mind the airmass has increased but maximum MAP is still atmospheric pressure as this is a NA application we are thinking about. The cylair multiplier will be working toward pulling these mass values down. This in turn makes the injectors inject to little fuel and fuel trims read lean. This error is applied to the MAF curve most of the time and eventually over the long run average airmass comes out higher than the regression line. As you can see your MAF values may get a little inflated when tuning them with the SD modifying the value.

Now lets think about airmass and MAP in a FI application. When the manifold is at a pressure greater than atmospheric, air mass will also be increasing as the engine is taking in more air than it normally would and pressure in the manifold is still building. This may cause the mass value to calculate to a lower MAP pressure based on the stock regression line for the calculated MAP. Stock it was only calculated up to MAP of 31.88 inHg, but the line can still apply to higher calculated MAP values. In this case low outlying data will be prevalent and if the multiplier is high enough the air mass will be pulled up and fuel will be increased. If the engine was more efficient it would ingest all the air and not choke on it causing the pressure. Theoretically if the engine could ingest the extra air mass and keep MAP at atmospheric pressure the multiplier would pull the value down just as it would when air flow is increased NA.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwiles View Post
    Thank you Murfie
    The car (CV 2011) is boosted. I can't control AFR in boost. I keep adding to the MAF table until maxed and still lean. Next I max out the cylair ( both max and WOT) went so rich it would hardly run. I am thinking I should increase the cylair WOT only and then readjust MAF table. Does this sound like a good plan?
    Raise Calculated MAP Max under the Speed Density tab if you're planning on keeping Cylair Anticipation on but I would just disable it if I were you.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Raise Calculated MAP Max under the Speed Density tab if you're planning on keeping Cylair Anticipation on but I would just disable it if I were you.
    I have raised MAF as high as it will go, and I am still lean. I need more range. Is Cylair WOT the way to get this? At what PSI is the MAP sensor toped out?

Senior Tuner
    If it's blending with Speed Density and your MAP Max is too low it will not calculate that you are making more boost for the Speed Density side to know to give more fuel and will stay lean even if you continue to add to the MAF.

I haven't gotten that into how it uses both combined to know what airflow is but I know leaving Cylair Anticipation on and having things like that off in the Speed Density section will cause it to be lean and unreasonably high MAF values or not get richer as you add to the MAF.

Senior Tuner
    .Just to make sure... You have an adequate fuel system for your power levels right? I thought I should at least ask before telling you things to try in the tune to get more fuel.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    .Just to make sure... You have an adequate fuel system for your power levels right? I thought I should at least ask before telling you things to try in the tune to get more fuel.
    Yes fuel system is adequate.

Advanced Tuner
    Now dial the MAF back and you will be good.

You were tuning against a limiter, then you unleashed that limiter.

Ted.

Murfie, wouldn't you want to disable anticipation as well, when dialing in you MAF curve? It seems that if your SD settings are out of whack, the anticipation will introduce fueling artifacts that would end up getting swallowed by the MAF table.

Senior Tuner
    No anticipation is mainly adjustments for flow rate differences through the manifold as the Throttle blade moves positions. When dialing in the MAF, you are usually filtering out parts of the log where throttle blade and airflow(relative to engine RPM) is steady to make corrections.

No anticipation is mainly adjustments for flow rate differences through the manifold as the Throttle blade moves positions. When dialing in the MAF, you are usually filtering out parts of the log where throttle blade and airflow(relative to engine RPM) is steady to make corrections.

Awesome, thank you for the clarification!

It is trying to handle the transient response to rapid airflow changes when the ETC moves. Things that happen before the MAF sensor can respond, yes?

How does this relate to (or replace?) the "tip-in airmass %" and "manifold volume"?

This Ford Racing strategy I am using has stock 2012 GT values for all the speed density tables. (with modifications to the MAP Max and Max Aircharge values). With an M122 blower strapped on, I'm imagining that these SD values are pretty far out of whack. For some reason they leave Cylair Anticipation on though (at least in the file I was given). Should I just turn it off for now while I chase down transient fueling swings and work on throttle response tuning, maybe coming back to it later?

I definitely prefer the throttle response with Cylair Anticipation on.

I'm going to test with Cylair Filter off to see the result.

I'm still curious about the "Tip-in airmass %" parameter and how it is used.