Thread: False KR? Or need to install valve springs?

Potential Tuner

False KR? Or need to install valve springs?

Heres my story:

I have a 2006 hhr 2.4, installed a turbo from a saab 9-3. Ran that for a couple years at 10 psi, no issues. My maf recently pooped out on me, and I've been running a sd tune now. Now about 2 months ago, I decided I'll run a compound turbo setup with a .50 turbo a buddy had laying around. I have messed with the setup about a hundred times now, exhaust, etc. And recently I've been getting kr around 10 to 15 psi. Had no issues running up to 20 psi for a while. I'm on stock everything internal. I have valve springs, valves, cams, head studs, and neutral balance shafts ready to go in - just waiting on time to do so.

Anyone wanna peek at the following log and see if they think this is false kr or if it's something going poop on me?

Other than that, I'm excited to make my hhr do naughty things in the near future, and hpt has been my baby.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    send your tune file. Do you have the red HHR in MN?

Potential Tuner
    I'll upload one when I get a chance. Yes I do have a red hhr in duluth, mn. It's not pretty, but it's pretty fast.

Pro-tip I learned is fill up with high octane fuel, so probably search Sunoco website for local unleaded race fuels in your area. If the knocking stops you know it is real, if it is still present with high octane, the knock is probably false. I think you can also work the other way, back off timing and if knock is still present at the same spot even with timing pulled it may be false...for example one turbo engine (LUV ecotec) I tuned would get KR at about 5k rpm it would totally kill performance. No matter how much timing I pulled, this spot still knocked. I de-sensitized the knock sensors and it solved this issue, pulls through this area now instead of falling on it's face. I still needed to clean up the timing, as I heard some real knocking at lower RPMs under WOT.

With my LE5 today, I have de-sensed and added 3 degrees and everything is great; with 9.5" wide wheels and 275 V12s, I now have traction problems again in 1st and 2nd, but not as bad as stock size. However big caveat is, I am running an AEM meth system with the large 1000 jet, so I was for sure getting false knock because I was adding larger jets trying to counter-act the KR, but it was fake. I confirmed this because the tuner who helped me do some power pulls suggested since my 2006 LE5 has a forged bottom end, generally this can cause false knock.
    E67 - 2006 LE5 2.4 Turbo, 444 whp
    E78 - 2013 LUV 1.4T

Potential Tuner
    4 bar stable test fuel.hpt
    This is my current tune, playing with vve a little.

Your false kr story sounds kind of like what I may have going on. Mine's right around 4k rpms. The 10-15 psi depends on how hard I'm on the throttle, so I can see 4k rpms being the number. I'm running e85, and have tried playing with timing and fueling to make the kr move, but it doesn't move. So false kr sounds realistic to me. I'll continue with my mods, and desensitize the knock sensors. Can't wait to see what it's like with solid motor mounts, no balance shafts, and cams. It'll feel a little more personal I'm sure.

I have now:
    3 bar map
    e85
    60 lb injectors bosch green giant
    td04l turbo from saab 9-3
    .50 a/r turbo
    2.5" custom exhaust all the way back, just a resonator and a single chamber muffler

Coming up:
    returnless fuel system (8 gal fuel cell, inline fuel pump and filter)
    80 lb injectors deka iv or whatever they are
    2.2 fuel rail/boost referenced fuel pressure regulator
    2.0 intake manifold, clipping the top bolt holes to fit, and porting
    porting head
    porting exhaust manifold
    porting turbine housings
    porting le5 throttle body
    zzp/comp le5 cams
    zzp valve springs 80lb?
    new valves
    zzp valve guides
    arp head studs

I'm sure the list will go on. I have it all waiting at home for me to put it in Doing returnless system, and everything fuel related this weekend. Then I'll tear everything else down when I have a more open schedule.

Maybe im looking at the log wrong but your o2 sensor is seeing varying voltage and your stft are still enabled under that boost. What afr was your wideband reading? Also your injector pulseewidth seems high and out of a safe area imo, IDCs over 100s at 4800rpm