Thread: 2016 Mustang GT Twin Turbo Idle problems

Tuner in Training

2016 Mustang GT Twin Turbo Idle problems

Guys I have been fighting a Idle surge for about a week now. I have Twin Turbo on the car. I also have a BOSS 302 intake. I have tried all the things I know how to fix it. I also should add I have ID1050X injectors and a Fore twin pump fuel system. I just cant seem to get it figured out. When you start the car. Any ideas???
    Attached Files Attached Files

I noticed it idles in and out of MP2 and MP 15. I'd try and set the distance tables to keep the car in MP0 during idle.

Senior Tuner
    Put the 1 values for the 850rpm column back in the stability distance tables. This should get the idle more stable with a better intake base position.

Or if you want to run 30* retard on the intake at idle, change MP2 to have more retard on the exhaust. something more than 20 should make a difference. max phasing limit for the exhaust table would need to bumped up for the lower rpms
    Last edited by murfie; 06-17-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the advice. It did help the idle.
    I am new to the HP tuners. So MP2 for retard on the exhaust is located where? Maybe you could screen shot what you talking about? Thanks so much in advance

Senior Tuner

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Put the 1 values for the 850rpm column back in the stability distance tables. This should get the idle more stable with a better intake base position.

Or if you want to run 30* retard on the intake at idle, change MP2 to have more retard on the exhaust. something more than 20 should make a difference. max phasing limit for the exhaust table would need to bumped up for the lower rpms
    Murf, say you are running a Boss intake (no IMRC) on an S550.......Do you use Map-1 for idle, or close off all maps from 0-13 and use Map 15 for idle? If you use Map 15 the intake needs to change from 30 to 20 degrees. This helped a lot on mine but still has some idle surging but not as bad as before. On my setup I only run maps 14+, but I haven't tried to turn on Map 1 for idling for optimum stability only. It might be map-1 runs better because it has different speed density values, etc. I will give it a shot and see how it does. Your thoughts on this?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by R8Bill View Post
    Murf, say you are running a Boss intake (no IMRC) on an S550.......Do you use Map-1 for idle, or close off all maps from 0-13 and use Map 15 for idle? If you use Map 15 the intake needs to change from 30 to 20 degrees. This helped a lot on mine but still has some idle surging but not as bad as before. On my setup I only run maps 14+, but I haven't tried to turn on Map 1 for idling for optimum stability only. It might be map-1 runs better because it has different speed density values, etc. I will give it a shot and see how it does. Your thoughts on this?
    When you get rid of the IMRC on an s550 you should try to set it up much more like a s197 where the Intake cam stays retarded and the exhaust cam is retarded for the lower loads. There is no need to have them slightly advanced then retard, and then advance as the IMRC opens. The S550 can retard the intake cams more than the s197 so 20-30 is good and you shouldn't need the cams to the max 40.

You will probably have better initial results by using the higher MPs. The lower MPs are not setup to have the Exhaust cams advance in the higher loads. Either way you go the Exhaust cams for part throttle need to be reworked to improve drivability.

Its good to look at Whipple or Roush setups for inspiration.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinhen View Post
    Guys I have been fighting a Idle surge for about a week now. I have Twin Turbo on the car. I also have a BOSS 302 intake. I have tried all the things I know how to fix it. I also should add I have ID1050X injectors and a Fore twin pump fuel system. I just cant seem to get it figured out. When you start the car. Any ideas???
    Did you ever get things sorted? I noticed your injector data might be wrong, and your fuel rail pressure isn't set right in the tune for a return pump system
    Last edited by R8Bill; 12-15-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Tuner in Training
    R8Bill
    I was able to get this sorted out. It wound up being the torque inverse numbers. I just logged what mapped point it was using in the idle. Mapped point 1 and 0. I changed the Inverse numbers for that rpm. It cleared up and idled perfect.