Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.6 tuning question

Tuner in Training

3.6 tuning question

I have a 2008 Pontiac Torrent GPX with the 3.6vvt and 6l70. I did a log and noticed the stock file is seeing 3-6kr from 25-100% tps (plus sometimes just cruising). LTFT and STFT are within normal range. I wanted to pull 1* timing out but I'm not familiar with the timing tables in this type on setup and how or where do I pull timing out? Or am I safe just taking 1* out of the entire table on all 4?

All maintenance has been done to the motor about 4 months ago tuneup wise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1970 Monte Carlo L96/4l80 swap
    2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 3.6vvt/6l70

Might want to make sure the car is going into PE where u are seeing the KR. I noticed i had to lower my Pedal PE table to 30% to get it to come in sooner to help with KR.

Tuner in Training
    TheTPS isnt even over 15% and I get KR from 3-4*. I get kr steady at a steady cruise speed to so no not a PE enable issue. If I jump into it the kr isn't as bad. Are these 3.6's just too heavy from the factory with timing?

Quote Originally Posted by monte0 View Post
    TheTPS isnt even over 15% and I get KR from 3-4*. I get kr steady at a steady cruise speed to so no not a PE enable issue. If I jump into it the kr isn't as bad. Are these 3.6's just too heavy from the factory with timing?
    Mine was way too sensitive...Don't get KR at WOT, but cruising, especially 70+ mph it was bad. Finally i desensitized my sensors some. I compared my tune to my buddy who has the same mods and he doesn't get KR. Pulling timing didn't help me that's why i am thinking it is False knock. I even went a step further and pulled my KR off and wrapped the bolt with teflon tape and now between the tuning and the tape i have removed close to 90% of the KR.

Potential Tuner
    Mine shows almost a constant 3-4 degrees of knock retard at cruising too. I've learned to ignore it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by benf View Post
    Mine was way too sensitive...Don't get KR at WOT, but cruising, especially 70+ mph it was bad. Finally i desensitized my sensors some. I compared my tune to my buddy who has the same mods and he doesn't get KR. Pulling timing didn't help me that's why i am thinking it is False knock. I even went a step further and pulled my KR off and wrapped the bolt with teflon tape and now between the tuning and the tape i have removed close to 90% of the KR.

Good to know Im not the only one seeing stupid high kr stock I'll look into it more on the sensors. How do you go about disabling burst kr on these?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by fishyducky View Post
    Mine shows almost a constant 3-4 degrees of knock retard at cruising too. I've learned to ignore it.
    Not easy to ignore when it affects mpg and makes the car feel sluggish

Tuner in Training
    I posted a log of what Im seeing. LTFT and STFT are not bad at all just high kr
    Attached Files Attached Files

I posted a log of what Im seeing. LTFT and STFT are not bad at all just high kr
    My LTFT typically run +- 4% but still I had lots of kr til i worked on the sensors.

Potential Tuner
    Not easy to ignore when it affects mpg and makes the car feel sluggish
    I made mine go away by reducing the humidity modifier in the areas that I was seeing KR, but saw a decrease in MPG so I put it back and let it manage it itself. It doesn't really bother me as it doesn't feel sluggish to me while cruising as it disappears once I start accelerating.

i have a 2010 Camaro LLT Supercharged and am having the same problem.. any pointers ?

Tuner in Training
    I ran a tank of 87 and a tank of 93 and saw maybe a tad less KR but still their making me believe its mainly real KR (or torque management looking like KR). Funny thing is I see more KR from 20-70% tps at a highest amount of 7kr then any other range. WOT is only 1-3
    I changed my PE and still their. Really not realistic having PE enable any lower the 35-40% to cover an issue.

well i managed to get rid of 90% of mine my leaning out the tune

Tuner in Training
    I pulled another few degrees out and I'm still seeing kr so I'm at a loss. Mined if you send me or post your tune so I can see how much more your leaned out?

my Stft are +8-10% across the board not typical practices but seems to be the trick with these motors i feel it runs alot smoother and responsive as well

Tuner in Training
    Mine runs smooth just see's KR. Do these 3.6's require premium cause can't find it anywhere in the manual or car? I've got a funny feeling these do

Tuner in Training
    Maybe you can shoot me an e-mail @gmail. monte i saw you post a few times. I email cp and should have something nice for the cars soon. Just working out some shifting bugs. Raising timing some and adjusting cams. These cars are one of the trickier ones ive played with.

Leaning out the tune won't make the kr go away. Richening it... The cars seem like they have a lot of false kr from the factory. I use 93 for sake of tuning. I always copy the high octane to low map and lower pe threshold and go from there. If it still knocks then its probably fake. They put those maps there for a reason because they're safe. Doubt they would roll out with knock, but i've seen worse.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
    I always copy the high octane to low map and lower pe threshold and go from there.
    There is no High Octane and Low Octane tables to copy and paste on these cars. There is no PE Threshold to lower on these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
    If it still knocks then its probably fake. They put those maps there for a reason because they're safe.
    What maps are you referring to here?

nexus the Ecu Monty is runnign is the E69 by bosch very different from GM code does not have half the table to edit as the delphi

Tuner in Training
    I see that now, something was wrong with my browser settings I couldn't see any pics or files. I had no idea they had different ECUs being so similar, I'll check it out when I get home.