Thread: Gen4 Camaro V6 MAF calibration

Potential Tuner

Gen4 Camaro V6 MAF calibration

Newb here asking for some assistance with MAF calibration.
    I have read Russ K's thread about how it is done numerous times but I don't think I have things setup properly.

Attached are a couple files for anyone willing to help a greenhorn
    Thank you in advance

MAF Cal #1.hplDad's (1999)02 Camaro USE FOR PART THROTTLE TUNING ONLY.hpt
    Last edited by certifiable; 09-24-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: file attachment

Advanced Tuner
    You did not attach your graph setup, to see if you had it setup correctly or not.

So I attached my graphs that will work for your car.

You need to just make sure that you have RPM, Spark Advance, Knock Retard, Cylinder Airmass, MAF, MAF (frequency), MAP, LTFT, STFT and wideband AFR (if you have a wideband) added to your channels list to make my graphs work properly for you.

Also to note something, do you have a check engine light on? The fuel system status was OL - Fault. Which means that it was in open loop because a fault code. So you will need to fix your issue for the engine to kick into closed loop, which enables the fuel trims to work. Which then gives you the data that you will need to get your MAF Calibration table dialed in.

Note, for dialing in WOT on the MAF Calibration table, you will need a wideband. As the fuel trims will be disable during power enrichment. Then that is when you use the MAF AFR Err graph to properly calibrate the MAF Calibration table. You use the MAF Calibration graph for anything where the fuel trims are enable (idle, part throttle and cruising)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the reply.

The engine was in OL because running in OL was part of Russ K's procedure for part throttle MAF calibration as well as using a WB to get the EQ error.
    The issue I am having is that I do not believe I am getting the proper information from my MAF Error graph as the values display as rather larger number rather than a percentage.
    My apologies for possibly using incorrect terminology.

The only channel you mentioned that I do not have is Cylinder Airmass which I believe is not an option for my particular application but I will double check to be sure I didn't just miss it.
    I will also give your graph setup a try and see how that goes.

Thank you again

Advanced Tuner
    Okay, I overlooked your channel setup. I did not see your wideband listed. I see it now. ( do you have it installed into a o2 sensor bung located in the downpipe/midpipe? or installed in the exhaust tailpipe with a sniffer? )

So you will want to setup the wideband in you channel list to log in units of AFR, as you are logging Air-Fuel Ratio Commanded. That way it can calculate the error ratio correctly in the graph.

And as for the cylinder airmass pid, if it is not available in your channel. Then you will need to change the column axis parameter for Spark Advance and Spark Retard graphs to Maths>Cylinder Airmass>MAF Cylinder Airmass (6 cyl).

And then also, once your collect your data on the graph, you Copy from the scanner and then Paste Special into the MAF Calibration Table (which then you can Multiply by % or Multiply by % - Half)

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    Okay, I overlooked your channel setup. I did not see your wideband listed. I see it now. ( do you have it installed into a o2 sensor bung located in the downpipe/midpipe? or installed in the exhaust tailpipe with a sniffer? )
    Wideband is located in the y pipe just ahead of the CC

So you will want to setup the wideband in you channel list to log in units of AFR, as you are logging Air-Fuel Ratio Commanded. That way it can calculate the error ratio correctly in the graph.
    That may have been my problem as I was logging Lambda

And as for the cylinder airmass pid, if it is not available in your channel. Then you will need to change the column axis parameter for Spark Advance and Spark Retard graphs to Maths>Cylinder Airmass>MAF Cylinder Airmass (6 cyl).
    Why change the column axis parameter to cylinder airmass (6 cyl)?
    Is the row axis parameter left as Mass Airflow or do you change it to RPM?
    I would assume RPM

And then also, once your collect your data on the graph, you Copy from the scanner and then Paste Special into the MAF Calibration Table (which then you can Multiply by % or Multiply by % - Half)
    I will give that a try.
    Thank you again for your help