Thread: l96 swap help

Tuner in Training

l96 swap help

Been fighting this tune for some time and making a lot of headway but still having issues. Little history first, It's a L96 6.0/4l80 DBW swapped into my 70 Monte Carlo. The L96 originally came with a 6l90 but went for the 4l80 so had to use a 08 GMC Savana E38/T42 matching ecm/tcm combo to get things working.

Mods on motor are LS9 cam/springs, LS7 card style maf and 1 7/8" headers

I'm having issue's getting my stft to stabilize enough to get it 5 to -5 (which means I cannot get my ltft in line either). I get a lot of timing fluctuation at idle from 10-18 Degrees. I also get idle surging when coming to a light. On top of that i can't get a case learn done cause even though the limiter is set stock to 4k for P/N, it goes right past doing a case learn. Also if you manually shift the gears the limiter is set to 6300 but it goes right past that too so none of my set limits work. I'm still fairly new at LS tuning (way different from 3800 tuning) I'm pretty sure my min final airflow table is off too which isn't helping

Any help or pointers would be great
    1970 Monte Carlo L96/4l80 swap
    2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 3.6vvt/6l70

Post the tune and logs.
    No one can see what is wrong.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, though I did. Here's the tune, Ill get an updated log tonight as i made some changes to the idle timing and coast tables
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by monte0; 06-16-2017 at 05:15 AM.

Case learns on all the cars I've done them to are suppose to go straight past the park rev limiter. You are suppose to rev it to redline and let it fall back to idle and that's when the crank and cam sensors sync up.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok well it went past the rpm limit too at 6200 so IDK. I know on the older GM's I used to do the case learn would hit the p/n limit
    Last edited by monte0; 06-16-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for the wait, here's the log
    Attached Files Attached Files

Maybe you don't have the e-brake hooked up to the ECM? I don't think it will actuate case learn without the e-brake and brake applied.

It seems like one of those things you should not need to do on a swap but.....

Tuner in Training
    Brake and ebrake are not tied into the ecm, so I'm not sure if that's something that's needed to be done or not. Can anyone give a definite answer if it's needed for a case learn? I think some of my issues would be fixed if i could get a case learn done since I did do a cam swap

With a Tech2, e-brake, brake, and normal temperature are required for the system to be willing to run a case re-learn. I have done them with my HPTuner as well but I don't recall if it gives the confirmation that it worked. Either way, the fact that yours revs right past the area which it should automatically cut back......it is not entering case re-learn.

Tuner in Training
    I've done relearns on tech2 and its worked fine on other vehicles that are not swapped. I did use a tech2 on this car and it didn't work either along with HP. One other thing though that makes me think it's not a ebrake thing or brake is the fact when I was on the dyno the car was doing a pull and went right past the rpm limit in gear....Kinda dangerous

FYI the brake switch is tied into the TCC circuit on the ecm so maybe I do have the brake tied in thinking about it now.

Tuner in Training
    No one had issues with limiters not activating??

Not if it actually enters into case learn.

I just ran the case-learn on my Tahoe with HPTuners to make sure it is the same as a Tech2. I brought it up to temp then turned off everything electrical then held the brake and hit the button. When it gave the order I revved it straight to red-line. I then shut it down and started the process over. This time I engaged the e-brake then held the brake and hit the button. When it gave the order I revved it up to the 3500 or 4000 shut-off and it let off as soon as it shut me down. I shut it off and repeated the process 2 more times to be 100% sure that even with HPTuners.....if there is no e-brake engaged signal.....no case-learn. And to be sure that when you have actually entered into the case relearn function, it will shut you off around 4000 RPM.

Tuner in Training
    Ok so that must be my issue then cause my swap is in a 70 monte carlo and I have no ebrake hooked to the ecm. Do you or anyone know off hand what wire/wires are used for the ebrake on a e38 ecm?