Thread: 2003 Yukon 5.3L SLT better MPG

Potential Tuner

2003 Yukon 5.3L SLT better MPG

I don't have the experience of tuning but would like to have my ECU tuned for better MPG. does anyone know where I could send my ecu to. to have it reprogrammed for an MPG increase ?
    I'm just starting to understand fuel trims in general but still not enough to do a reprogram if I were to purchase the tool. thanks

To be honest with you, you are barely going to gain anything from just a tune.

If your logs show that your fuel trims are within 3-4% of zero just about all the time, it's doing the best is can to keep fueling good. Minimal increase in timing at cruise speedsand getting the VE and MAF curve slightly better could help but we are talking 1mpg here. A mail order tune could not do those for you, that would take lots of data logging to dial in those tables.

Removing weight, quality tires that aren't over sized, driving habits will have a better change on MPG. Certain mods could maybe net you a mpg here or a mpg there but there is no magic tune that could be a sure bet of MPG gain.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for your help, guess it would be a while at 1 MPG before I would see any pay back with what I would have to spend on a tune. I'll keep my eyes on the fuel trims.

Lots of people try to do a lean cruise, where it leans out during hwy driving. Its been reported to me that lots of time stock tunes keep you at 13 AFR while cruising. Newer cars run much leaner this this under low load situations. By bringing that up to mid 15s AFR on the highway they claim mpg has gone up by 2 to 3. So its possible, but thats something you want to do with a wideband and a tuner sitting in your truck with you as you drive.
    -------------------------------------
    01 SS Red A4 #4987

Targeting 1.06 lambda which is 6 percent less fuel as well as adding a few degrees timing at highway light load. I can see 22 - 23 mpg avg on trips with my 2004 Yukon SLT.

Keep in mind I'm using a brand new ls9 camshaft, new ls7 lifters, pac 1218 springs. While the engine and transmission is only at 260,000 miles. It'll be ready for a turbo once it gets to 280,000 or so.

I wouldn't recommend swapping to ls9 cam, I did so because I got the entire swap kit for $150 with it all new, then added $100 lifters and got the springs new in box for $40 on craigslist. An the reason for the swap being that I got the truck from original owner for $1500 with a chewed up lifter and cam.
    Persistence is the key to success