Thread: What causes rich detonation?

Advanced Tuner

What causes rich detonation?

I've read multiple times that you can get rich detonation. I however cannot find a technical explanation as to WHY this occurs.

I understand why lean mixtures detonate as they are typically hotter. Richer mixtures tend to cool the cylinder bore/piston top due to excess fuel transferring heat out of the cylinder, same concept as water/meth injection.

How does a richer mixture again cause detonation? I understand a rich misfire, but I do not understand rich detonation.

Does anyone have an explanation?

edit: My hypothesis is as follows.

Excess fuel (eg running 12:1) causes a drop in temperature allowing more timing to be run, eg it decreases detonation.

Absurd amounts of fuel (eg running 10:1) whilst it drops the cylinder temp, it increases exhaust backpressure and exhaust temp (due to it burning there) which overwhelms any cooling ability the extra fuel brought along.

Thoughts?

Senior Tuner
    I think a rich mixture allows "clumping" of fuel in the chamber. This leads to a slow broken flame front. Tuners some times increase fuel a little to run more ignition advance. The increase in fuel slows the flame front, but go to far and you get poor distribution.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    I think a rich mixture allows "clumping" of fuel in the chamber. This leads to a slow broken flame front. Tuners some times increase fuel a little to run more ignition advance. The increase in fuel slows the flame front, but go to far and you get poor distribution.
    I can see how it would kill power though how does clumping cause detonation?

Senior Tuner
    The cylinder pressure raising faster than the flame front can propagate through the cylinder. The "clumps" ignite from the increased pressure and explode instead of a nice smooth flame front causing a knock sound. Lean condition is the same but the flame front goes out from gaps in fuel.

The cylinder pressure would be higher with considerably more fuel jammed in.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelinls1 View Post
    The cylinder pressure would be higher with considerably more fuel jammed in.
    Perhaps this is the cause as the example I was giving was a ~900 hp E85 engine that was having dramas with the mixture too rich. The volume of fuel would be immense.

Thats been my feeling. If a top fueler missfires it hydraulics.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rolls View Post
    Perhaps this is the cause as the example I was giving was a ~900 hp E85 engine that was having dramas with the mixture too rich. The volume of fuel would be immense.
    How big of an engine and what CR?
    Last edited by murfie; 06-05-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I've heard they start dieseling half way down the track. Not a very reliable source and I have no direct experience with them.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    How big of an engine and what CR?
    Aussie XR6T so a 6 cyl 4L 8.7:1 compression