Thread: 05 VZ ss e38 no start first crank

Tuner

05 VZ ss e38 no start first crank

Hi all,
    have been looking at a mates ute with first crank start issue for sometime now. every man and his dog has had a go at this vehicle and i am now the last to have a shot at it.
    the vehicle is 2005 VZ ss commodore ute 6LT auto.
    mods are....
    -forged pistons 11.7 compression
    - cam 226/238 610' 113lsa
    - ls7 lifters1 7/8 extractors into twin 3" system
    - stainless valves
    - walbro 400lph pump
    - 3300-3500rpm stall
    - OTR intake Mafless.
    - running on 98 pump fuel
    i have looked at this 3 times on and off now over the last 6 months in between dyno tuning from other tuners for this start issue. First key turn will crank but will not start, wont even try to fire just turns over like its out of fuel . on the second crank will start 100% of the time smelling pig rich most likely from first crank attempt. Temperature does not seem to make any difference to the issue. Turning key back and forth to prime pump seems to make no difference as well, and pump is working.
    i have tried all base and crank air flow tables with no avail, as well as cranking VE, disable VATS and timing, i have lost count of other tables now.
    i have attached tune file to see if anyone can tell me there is anything i have missed.
    next port of call is a mechanical issue (fuel pump/MRI) issue.
    i have told the tuner to get a gauge onto it first start to check this week.
    i do apologize in advance as i don't have a log of it cranking so i may be asking for a bit much but thought it may be a shot.
    thanks in advance guys.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tris909; 06-04-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Senior Tuner
    IRF is flat for where u are using it and also the offsets are too unless u have a vac ref reg..? cranking VE baro try set to 1.0, try lowering cranking spark around the 100-150rpm to like 3-5 see how it goes or try higher also, whats with your throttle follower torque [12123]..? never seen that before it may be killing torque to control idle try back at stock settings, try [13337] eoit ect try to all 110 and zero out the rpm table, your not set up mafless yet so that can kill idle, need to max out the enable/disable and set the DTC's error on first ect p101,102,103 and frequency fail high and low set to 2 and 1 hz, just a few observations to try...
    Last edited by 07GTS; 06-04-2017 at 06:54 AM.

Tuner
    thanks mate will have a play end of this week and keep you updated .

Tuner
    so i have been unsuccessful with getting this no start issue first crank sorted.
    I have attached a log of the vehicle doing this no start first crank as well as the PCM file.
    I did notice that on every failed attempt at starting that the ignition timing is set in the negative, yet on the successful start ignition timing is being fed in.
    I have been over all spark tables to check and couldnt see anything standing out.
    Vehicle is 2006 VZ thunder ute gen4 auto, other mods include raised compression, exhaust system, OTR.
    Vehicle runs great otherwise, its only this random no start that has me stumped.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

crank no start.hplmichael vz current MOD ThroFol.hpt

Senior Tuner
    if ur running mafless its not failing to SD properly so that could be the issue with the first start, change maf fail high 2 fail low 1, count thresh both 1, test rpm 0, also dynamic airflow high 8100 low 8000, and set DTC P101 102 103 to fail on first error and un tick the ses light