Thread: measuring acceleration

Senior Tuner

measuring acceleration

for anyone that wants to see if they make any improvements with mods without a dyno i found a simple way to measure acceleration, what i done was made up a graph using "engine run time" as the parameter and then just used "undriven wheel speed" (so u dont get slip) then the table in increments of 10kph (can use mph or kph or any interval u want just keep it linear ) set engine run time to hours and use 4-5 decimal places if u want to see a difference between cells.

now the main one i done was to set it to show "counts" so between each 10kph cell u get say 8 counts the faster u go thru that cell the lower the number and the count rate is about every 0.04 sec or so so any small increase/decrease in acceleration u will see a change in the number in the cell count, can help if ur at the 1/4 mile to see if u are loosing accel as speed gets higher or still constant increase, also best to use view zoom data only so u dont double up in the same cells
    Last edited by 07GTS; 12-08-2017 at 05:12 AM.

Thanks, I want to try this and confirm findings with virtual dyno. Problem is virtual dyno keeps disproving things I think are adding power, they appear to add power, but once corrected for intake air temp before and after end up being exactly the same. Except for E85 I can see about 19HP peak at the wheels, but virtual dyno seems to give bad results under 4000rpm, maybe because of TC not locking.

Anyway thanks for this, ill have to try it when the weather gets better, but ill probably need new tires as well, traction is non-existent even sometimes in third gear.