Thread: Low MPH for my setup, is it my tune?

Tuner in Training

Low MPH for my setup, is it my tune?

So I went to the track last night and got the best time for my setup with a 12.177 at 114.75. To me that mph seems low for my mods even with the bad air we were having last night (around 2000 DA). I have a H/C/I ls2 with the mods in my sig. I've been on this forum for a while absorbing information and it's helped me a lot with idle and startup issues I was having, but I figured I would make up a post on here finally. With the mods done to my car I figured I would be at around a 118-120 mph trap speed because when I was cam only with a torquer v2 I was trapping the same time and mph. The car runs like a champ but was dyno'd at 451/387 to the wheels before the fast went on and that seemed low to me too given what I've seen other ls2 gtos go for. Since I'm obviously tuning it myself, I was wondering if any of the experts out there could give me some pointers if it's somewhere in my tune, or if it's potentially in my setup. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2006 BOM GTO/Black/M6/17's H/C/I Car
    Thompson Motorsports Forged Aluminum LS2 Short Block
    Tick Polluter 239/244 .635?/.610? LSA111+2
    Patriot Performance Stage 3 Heads
    Fast 102 LSXR
    DMH Electric Cutouts "Cop Button"
    Duspeed Intake
    CXRacing Coilovers
    Hinson Polyurethane Motor Mounts
    Pedders Radius Rod Bushings
    26x11.5 Hoosier QTP's on 15x10 Racestars
    Spec Stage 3
    Pacesetter LTs Catless Mids
    Magnaflow Catback
    GMM Ripshift
    Mishimoto
    HP/TQ = 451/387

what was your 60'? I never could do any good on 17's. I put on 15'' welds and dr's. I haven't looked at your tune...but just throwing out my experience with my goat.
    2005 gto A4
    Darton sleeved 427, prc ls3 heads, custom cam 243/257
    Fti 3400 triple disc convertor
    553/555 N/A 839/823 nitrous on hub dyno

Tuner in Training
    I threw a picture of my time slip in the original post. It was a 1.85 though which I know is fairly low for 26x11.5x15 bias plys, but I figured my mph would still be a bit higher

Quote Originally Posted by jawss View Post
    I threw a picture of my time slip in the original post. It was a 1.85 though which I know is fairly low for 26x11.5x15 bias plys, but I figured my mph would still be a bit higher
    my bad..I only saw the first line of mods and saw 17's. You don't rub with 11.5's? I run 26x10 M/T pro radials. I haven't seen any 6-speeds on the track around here. There's several A4's with stalls..
    2005 gto A4

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 13qtr View Post
    my bad..I only saw the first line of mods and saw 17's. You don't rub with 11.5's? I run 26x10 M/T pro radials. I haven't seen any 6-speeds on the track around here. There's several A4's with stalls..
    I've got rolled fenders and CX racing coilovers in the rear so the tire clears pretty well. Hoosiers have a 10"contact patch too which makes them a little smaller than a true 11.5" tire. I've got the 6 puck spec stage 3 which I don't think helps too much because that's either on or off, there's not much slipping that clutch lol. I've got 4.10s sitting at home waiting to go into a spare diff that I have laying around, but I am having a tough time getting the side adjusters out. Once those go in I think that'll help a lot, but my mph is what's really bothering me. With the stock gears I thought I would be at 118 mph in the quarter with this setup

Quote Originally Posted by jawss View Post
    I've got rolled fenders and CX racing coilovers in the rear so the tire clears pretty well. Hoosiers have a 10"contact patch too which makes them a little smaller than a true 11.5" tire. I've got the 6 puck spec stage 3 which I don't think helps too much because that's either on or off, there's not much slipping that clutch lol. I've got 4.10s sitting at home waiting to go into a spare diff that I have laying around, but I am having a tough time getting the side adjusters out. Once those go in I think that'll help a lot, but my mph is what's really bothering me. With the stock gears I thought I would be at 118 mph in the quarter with this setup
    aaahh...those tricky side adjusters. Mine came out pretty good,but went back with the gforce billet ones. I'm running the kings suspension.. 1/2" drop up front and raised 1" in the rear, with the 'mini tub'. what's weird is after going with the 3.70's...it didn't make any difference at all at the track. Just cruising around.. takes less throttle on take offs and pulling hills.
    2005 gto A4

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 13qtr View Post
    aaahh...those tricky side adjusters. Mine came out pretty good,but went back with the gforce billet ones. I'm running the kings suspension.. 1/2" drop up front and raised 1" in the rear, with the 'mini tub'. what's weird is after going with the 3.70's...it didn't make any difference at all at the track. Just cruising around.. takes less throttle on take offs and pulling hills.
    Really... I'm hoping it'll take about 3-4 tenths of a second off my quarter time. All the power from my cam comes in in the top end around 4500 and up so I think gears will help a good amount when I get those in. I guess since you're already cutting 1.5 60's going from a 3.46 to a 3.70 won't do a whole lot. And yeah I've got 100k on my side adjusters so those are a pain to get out. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to put aluminum side adjusters into a steel housing was a freakin genius. I'm trying not to spend 300 on side adjusters and 120 on the tool, but it looks like it may have to come to that unfortunately. I'm going to try the tool first from Gforce and if they're in good shape after I get them out I'll probably put them back in with some anti sieze.

i didn't buy the tool. We just used a good ole brass punch and a hammer. tapped them out...
    2005 gto A4

Tuner in Training
    I've tried a hammer and punch and even got an oil filter wrench which was said to work from other people on the forums and that didn't work. Hooked it up to an impact and hit it for about 20 seconds straight and it still didn't get it off. Tried it 3 or 4 times and it finally broke. That's why I'm thinking about getting the tool and trying to get it off with that. Soaked it in pb blaster for a few days before hand too and still did nothing.

Tuner in Training
    Bump
    Fast 102 LSXR
    Duspeed Intake
    CXRacing Coilovers
    Spec Stage 3
    Magnaflow Catback
    GMM Ripshift
    Mishimoto
    HP/TQ = 451/387

What RPM and what gear are you in when crossing the stripe?
    From reading this, I think you either need 4:10 or bigger gears or a much smaller cam.
    I ran this through an Engine sim program that is usually only + or - 5% from an actual engine dyno.
    With the limited info available i was more interested in changing the cams as you have.
    There was only 5 HP and 2 lb ft difference between them.
    That should help explain why it runs the same et/speed with either cam.
    Imo, I would run a smaller cam than what was in the motor first.

Tuner in Training
    I've actually got 4.10s going in either this weekend or next to help out a bit. But from what I've seen cars with a very similar setup are making about 20 more hp and about 40 more ft lbs of torque. I just didn't know if it was in my tune or somewhere else in my setup that I might be missing.
    Fast 102 LSXR
    Duspeed Intake
    CXRacing Coilovers
    Spec Stage 3
    Magnaflow Catback
    GMM Ripshift
    Mishimoto
    HP/TQ = 451/387

Tuner in Training
    Also I'm in 4th at about 5200 rpm when crossing the line with a 26" tall tire. The gears should put me in the low to mid 6000's
    Fast 102 LSXR
    Duspeed Intake
    CXRacing Coilovers
    Spec Stage 3
    Magnaflow Catback
    GMM Ripshift
    Mishimoto
    HP/TQ = 451/387

Tuner in Training
    Also you're telling me that a 239/244 .630/.610 cam should only make 5/2 more power than a 232/234 .598/.598? Something doesn't sound right about that...
    Fast 102 LSXR
    Duspeed Intake
    CXRacing Coilovers
    Spec Stage 3
    Magnaflow Catback
    GMM Ripshift
    Mishimoto
    HP/TQ = 451/387

Whether it makes 5 more or 10 more or... the increase is ALL at higher rpm so it really needs those gears to get it up there sooner. It is losing torque probably from idle to 3000 or more so.....it will love the 4.10s. I am looking forward to seeing the results. Please post them soon.

I also expected a slightly larger increase in hp/torque.Your old and new cams are not very different. Gears may help.As stated,by IARLLC. Both cams have their torque peak @ 5000 rpm,HP peaks between 6-6500 rpm. As you stated earlier, Iam running the same et and speed with either cam.

Tuner in Training
    I'll definitely post up the results with the gear swap for sure. When I put the new cam in though, I put ported heads and a fast 102 on as well. The original cam only had stock heads and intake on it which led me to believe that I would definitely make more power with the new setup compared to the old one. I mean the whole point of adding a bigger cam, heads and am intake is to go faster than before and it seemed to have no adverse effect on my time. That just seemed really odd to me. Be it that I'm doing all of the tuning myself as well, I figured there would be some power left in there that I might have possibly missed. I am also revving this up to 7k to get the most out of the power curve.
    Fast 102 LSXR
    Duspeed Intake
    CXRacing Coilovers
    Spec Stage 3
    Magnaflow Catback
    GMM Ripshift
    Mishimoto
    HP/TQ = 451/387

I would smooth out your spark,VE,MAF tables,there should not be any big peaks/valleys.
    Did you try to add/remove fuel and spark to see if that would help?
    It may want less timing.try -5* and test it.
    Use the strip or other time/distance road.
    Your P/E enable MAP should be higher like 75kpa.
    The same with the P/E TPS.
    The way it is, it will be in P/E during off idle driving.
    I think that 7k is high enough rpm,since the cam is done at 6-65.
    just my worthless opinion.
    Last edited by Earwax; 06-03-2017 at 02:44 PM.