Thread: Fuel Source: (OL) Cold Eng. / Startup 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost 170 Thermostat

Question Fuel Source: (OL) Cold Eng. / Startup 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost 170 Thermostat

2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost running a 170 Thermostat.

Getting a OL Cold Eng. / Start up fuel source and its commanded lower then my .820, It happens durring a WOT pull and normal driving.

I set the Base Fuel enable ect 20 deg lower then stock and still getting this source, Im thinking there is another table we don't have that is needed for a 170 Thermostat.

Anyone else run into this?

Screenshot (41)_LI.jpgScreenshot (42)_LI.jpgScreenshot (43)_LI.jpg

What does your base fuel table actually look like?

The way the Ford logic works depends on what year/generation the vehicle is.
    15+ Tricore (and a few others under 15, such as FoST, FiST, and I believe SHO) can target "OL Cold" fueling even though the engine is technically not cold.

If you're in power demand, the OL Cold logic can take over if your Base Fuel Table target is LESS than the power demand target.
    If you're not in power demand, if your Base Table is NOT Stoich, it will also use the OL Cold table to target that particular fuel type.

Thus, depending on your base table I could see this happening if yoru Base Table is setup to hit either of these conditions.

Screenshot (45).png

I set it like the tuning school training said.

the biggest thing I have seen is that when in the OL Cold eng/start up, my commanded shows .760 but the HPFP cant get me there with 12+ psi at 2000rpm and I end up at .790-820 lambda.

Richer then what WOT lambda I want and I figured there is another table that we dont have that we need to set to a higher commanded lambda.

And thank you for the reply, always very helpful and enlightening.
    Last edited by LastPlace; 05-28-2017 at 12:07 PM.

I fixed this problem by replacing the 170 thermostat with the stock one.

Interesting. I have a Reische 170F on my SHO and don't have this issue. It warms up properly. Are you sure you're using the right type of 170F t-stat? I forget which ones we need (hot side or cold side) but I remember that I have the Reische 4D. I actually bought it from American Muscle since it is the same type of t-stat used on the 4V modulars (I think...)

FWIW, I don't feel colder plugs or a colder t-stat or needed on the EcoBoost. Save your money and time, stick with the stock plugs and t-stat.

I'm not sure which model they sold me (reische).

Only thing I gained from it was less gas mileage.

100% agree, save your money.
    Last edited by LastPlace; 06-15-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Yours would have used the Reische-50, same one for a lot of the RWD vehicles. I never noticed a drop in fuel economy with my 4D. The only thing I did notice was that the engine coolant temp stayed cooler even without changing the fan settings. The owner at Reische was getting snippy when I was trying to get info on fan settings for my EcoBoost, and I guess he just didn't know. I was going to share with him my settings but since he was snippy, no dice.

Sounds like the interaction I had with them.

I contacted them after hearing they had a new version of the thermostat that fixed some problems there first model had (running colder then it was supposed to) but was told what I had was normal...

so so back to stock and works great.

Ah, that explains why the latest Reische 50 is listed as 2nd gen.

I found the 170F did keep the cylinder heads cooler, but it had zero impact on knock resistance - the same goes for the spark plugs.