Thread: question on a 2015 mustang mapped point

Potential Tuner

question on a 2015 mustang mapped point

Stays 100% mapped point 14 all the time never moves?

Senior Tuner
    Some people tune them that way.

Potential Tuner
    This ones not tuned that way. Its a roush tuned 2015 GT

Senior Tuner
    Post a log and tune also if possible. Make sure it includes VCT Source and cam angles.

Potential Tuner
    Last edited by southern speed; 05-25-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I wonder if you have an early 2015+ Roush tune and if they didn't tune them like this originally. I have no knowledge of them ever tuning them this way but I know it's a valid way to get the 2015+ to play nice with IMRC deletes.

I would guess that they would have at least started their tunes for the new ECU this way and then just began enabling more mapped points as they go. Do you not have the tune to look at?

Potential Tuner
    I posted the tune

Senior Tuner
    That's a strange one. Try doing a Write Entire to make sure that everything is good. I haven't seen a log from a 2015+ Roush tune yet but just from looking at the tune I would not expect to see what was in your log.

Potential Tuner
    did not change

Senior Tuner
    I would say you need to redo the snap to line so that the distance tables can reference the proper lines and move the weight around. Your cam angles are coming from only the OP table values. You want more control over them so they reference the proper torque, spark, Etc for the proper cam angles. This will give you the best mix of drive-ability and power. Ill try to explain using the stock 2015+ setup compared to where the roush phase 1 tune went.

First I labeled the line segments and distances of the line segments. as you can see 1-4 distances are used in fuel economy and IMRC is closed. distances 5-7 are used in best drivability and are in the area where IMRC could be transitioning from open to close. you notice above 4000RPM the IMRC would be open from the stability tables and so thats represented in the distance tables both fuel and drivability. distance 8 is not WOT but IMRC is open. They give it a large line with many segments of MPs to work from 14-22. Distance 9 is WOT and a line from 21-14 can be used. MP 25 is a snap to point that can be used when in distances 8 or 9. It is used to incorporate the values in OP. you will see in a stock log at WOT it will be using MP 14 or 21 then goes to 25 around the peak torque RPMS then back to MP 21 or 14.

Stock MP config.PNG

Now if you look at the roush tune you see they have disabled the IMRC and modified the distance tables. What they left is the line segments in the smaller distances and the IMRC open line at 4000RPM in the fuel and drivability tables is still there.

Rouse phase 1 setup.PNG

Hopefully with this info you can come up with a plan to change these tables and get out of MP 14.

Im adding an ECO boost mustangs configuration with labels as just another example. It uses 11 distances. as you can see 0-3 and 3-0 are used in the fuel economy up to distance 6. This describes out of boost cam angles. 0-4 is the transition into boost and is at distance 7. emissions reduction cam angles are used at the low boost points to improve emissions are part throttle and boost. this is up until distance 9 so distance 10 and 11 are cam angles for power and no emission reduction. you can see at 3500 rpm how these engines are tuned for low end torque and emission reduction top end all through VCT control.

ECO boost MPs setup.PNG
    Last edited by murfie; 05-26-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    I would say you need to redo the snap to line so that the distance tables can reference the proper lines and move the weight around. Your cam angles are coming from only the OP table values. You want more control over them so they reference the proper torque, spark, Etc for the proper cam angles. This will give you the best mix of drive-ability and power. Ill try to explain using the stock 2015+ setup compared to where the roush phase 1 tune went.

First I labeled the line segments and distances of the line segments. as you can see 1-4 distances are used in fuel economy and IMRC is closed. distances 5-7 are used in best drivability and are in the area where IMRC could be transitioning from open to close. you notice above 4000RPM the IMRC would be open from the stability tables and so thats represented in the distance tables both fuel and drivability. distance 8 is not WOT but IMRC is open. They give it a large line with many segments of MPs to work from 14-22. Distance 9 is WOT and a line from 21-14 can be used. MP 25 is a snap to point that can be used when in distances 8 or 9. It is used to incorporate the values in OP. you will see in a stock log at WOT it will be using MP 14 or 21 then goes to 25 around the peak torque RPMS then back to MP 21 or 14.

Stock MP config.PNG

Now if you look at the roush tune you see they have disabled the IMRC and modified the distance tables. What they left is the line segments in the smaller distances and the IMRC open line at 4000RPM in the fuel and drivability tables is still there.

Rouse phase 1 setup.PNG

Hopefully with this info you can come up with a plan to change these tables and get out of MP 14.

Im adding an ECO boost mustangs configuration with labels as just another example. It uses 11 distances. as you can see 0-3 and 3-0 are used in the fuel economy up to distance 6. This describes out of boost cam angles. 0-4 is the transition into boost and is at distance 7. emissions reduction cam angles are used at the low boost points to improve emissions are part throttle and boost. this is up until distance 9 so distance 10 and 11 are cam angles for power and no emission reduction. you can see at 3500 rpm how these engines are tuned for low end torque and emission reduction top end all through VCT control.

ECO boost MPs setup.PNG
    Thanks for posting this it really helps understanding of the system over all and reiterates things I thought were true but couldn't actually confirm. For even better clarification could you please give definition of the terms snap to point and snap to line and how they are used in conjunction with the distance tables and mps for each vct mode as well as the relationship between the modes in determining which it will use versus the other as both the fuel economy and drivability table both seem to reference the fuel economy mps if I'm understanding this all correctly

Bumping old thread because this is the best explanation I've found so far.

How are the distance values assigned in the snap to line? That will help me understand how to make my distance tables to control my mapped points.

Senior Tuner
    It's a scanner bug, have sent to support, they reported it fixed in the last beta release but it is not fixed.

My FRPP phase 3 sits in MP 14 the entire time and the tune IS NOT setup to run that way.
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 08-08-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev1360 View Post
    Bumping old thread because this is the best explanation I've found so far.

How are the distance values assigned in the snap to line? That will help me understand how to make my distance tables to control my mapped points.
    In HPT we don't have access to the row values or the column values. I don't think it matters as it just makes lines the ECU can snap to. You can manipulate these lines using the IVO and EVC values directly.

Its easy to see when you plot the mapped points.

Heres a pic with all points in a 2015 plotted. The snap to points are orange. I drew the lines and labeled them with their distance metric.

MP and SNap to points.PNG

MP and SNap to points.PNG

First metric starts at 0,0 moves right then up then left then down. As you can see the snap to lines are all around the out side. So are most of the Snap to points, with an exception. This would be mapped point 22, It is in the stability array. Its also right near the end of the line you get when you plot the OP angles. Everything is set up to flow from one to the other in a nice loop from stability to OP and back to stability.

OPline.PNG

This is the OP line plotted. As you can see it spends nearly all its time left of the snap to line 9. Snap to points 14 and 21 influence it in the low and high RPMS, snap to point 25 influences it in the mid range.

There is no need to modify the snap to lines or snap to points. You can modify the IVO and EVC values and find great drivability improvement. Just watch how you are shifting the values around and how it effects the metric.
    Last edited by murfie; 08-10-2017 at 02:01 AM.