Thread: 99 4wd ford ranger 6.2?

Potential Tuner

99 4wd ford ranger 6.2?

hey guys new to the forum. ive been building a truck the last few years. started as a 99 ranger with a 2000 suburban gen3 ls 5.3/4l60e drivetrain swap. Ran a painless engine harness and the factory ecm/tcm. Just finished a gen 4 2010 escalade 6.2 swap. Engine and trans running same harness and ecm/tcm just added lingenfelter signal convertor to change crank/cam signals to gen3. I am waiting for the hpt pro suite to show up any day and just throwing random questions out. Will the hpt be able to tune my factory 2000 ecm/tcm to work with signal convertor? Will the hpt work with whatever painless uses to flash the vats when my harness was flashed? Gosh...will it all even work? LOL! I know the original 5.3 was fun but this is gonna be more fun. Any help is much appreciated.

If your computer was first controlling a 4L60e, it won't control a 6L80e.

You'd need to use a E38 computer to properly control the 6.2 and the 6L80e.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Not using a 6l80. Using the 4l60 that I had with my 5.3 swap.

Senior Tuner
    im curious to see what mounts you used. I have a 93 ranger i have kicked around the notion of dumping the 2.3 turbo for an ls. The sad truth is, the l92, or gen 4 motors run so much better on the e38 ecm.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Potential Tuner
    My lower mount is factory 3.0 Ford and the upper to the block is hand made out of a couple old chunks of scrap iron. Why does the e38 work better? Also I'm doing this as cheap as I can right now. I already had a painless harness for the original 5.3 swap. So I just used what I had. I work for a Chevy dealership here in town and the motor was going in the scrap truck so I figure why not convert back to gen3 and run the sh** out of it. It's just a sleeper 4wd ranger. Plus had a new kiddo a few months back and money is tight. Everyone's been there or is in my boat.

Senior Tuner
    its a faster ecu, better processing and more over all control. in my experience, the ls3 series doesn't like the 411 style ecm.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Potential Tuner
    Well that's not good stuff to hear. For now we gonna give it a try. If I end up changing to the e38 I would have to get a new harness as well correct?