Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HPTuners for 1996 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    GM often used the phrase UART (universal asynchronous receiver transmitter) to describe communications between modules. The UART lines for the early DBW throttle body vehicles were also referred to as dedicated redundant Serial Data lines.

So, if you do indeed require UART communications for the ABS system to function - will Serial Data communications work (i.e. are these actually the same).

... you won't know for certain until you can conduct some testing.
    Agreed. I will report back my findings.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 07-16-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Got the blower and exhaust back in and brought all harnesses up to the ecu..

We also supposed to find more power aside from correcting driveability issues with this conversion. One thing that is going to help that end in a big way is moving away from that restricted 3.5" screened maf. we are switching to a card style maf and sticking it in a larger 4" tube just so the maf is not causing any type of a restriction up high..

And from underneath the LT looks very different without the optispark and ignition wires..

This car should be running and on the dyno before the week is over.

Advanced Tuner
    Optispark and poppet injection, probably the two worst designs gm ever incorporated into their production vehicle's IMO. Wow man its nice to get the underneath perspective without optispark look at all that new free space.

Potential Tuner
    Jet DST is a version of the old tuner cats software. It's still sold and supported... Maybe not very well, but the DST is still supported through Jet.

The newer DST interface also has a USB connection since you can no longer get serial ports on a laptop. You can also buy Additional license for it as well through Jet.

I have it running under compatibility mode for Windows XP3. I think there was something else we had to change to get it to function with out shutting down but I can not remember.

That still doesn't fix the optispark issue or lack of adjustable parameters in the early PCM's.

We have used jet DST a few times before. We have used tunercats a whole bunch. Along with it's datalogging companion datamaster. And we have the usb chip burner for it and never had a problem with all the stuff we have done with it. The jet dst is in the garbage and we will never use their product again. DST is NOT supported in any meaningful way. That is when there is a problem with hptuners or when one of us gets stuck we can come here. A whole forum just for helping us out. If we can find what we need here, we can shoot an email to someone @ hptuners.com . You don't get any of that out of jet. You don't get that out of tunercats anymore either, but it is ok because tunercats doesn't destroy ecu's. and even if you did somehow end up with a dead or unburnable chip they are easy and cheap to replace. Jet DST at this point and in my professional opinion has absolutely no place in any shop setting. It can only cause trouble. For us this conversion is the first of many, for sure. Every corvette made from 1992-1996 had this opti spark setup. And we are the Corvette Experts: http://www.corvette-performance-expert.com/
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 07-19-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Back on the subject of the card style mass air flow sensor..

We need to wire in the connector for it but we need to make a quick change to the connector first. Here is our 5 wire pigtail..

We need to convert this to a 3 wire. Because we would rather be measuring inlet air temps downstream of the power adder and heat exchanger. So we open the connector and remove the 2 pins for the iat sensor..

And here is our 3 wire card style maf all wired in and ready to go..

Advanced Tuner
    Looking good!!!

I had some CPC 24x gen 1 fun this week myself. Co-worker just built a flat top piston 355 Vortec and I helped him convert to the 24x and 0411. Running the stock intake manifold with upgrade spider at the moment. Its in a big heavy, lifted 4x4 truck. With the LT4 Hotcam, shorty headers, off road mid pipes (2 1/2" no cats), 2,200 stall and 4.56s it performs quite well despite having 37s on it.

I had done the north star style coil on plug from a marine application for my old 1994 z28 392 stroker. Used the opti just for the cam signal and used tunercat or moates to tune the car. 10.05 136 all motor lt1 afr heads solid roller. Very trick setup and fast car for late 90s. I still have all my tunercat stuff even recently updated it to do my 2016 vsport and has some files hptuners doesn't have access too. They are also working on the trans for this car the tl80sn. About to start looking into my zl1 as they just released the access to that. Problem with tunercat is you had to be grandfathered into them to still pay 80 bucks for a bin file and tune all the cars you want with it just like your probably familiar with from early tuning using there system before jet bought it and ruined the whole deal. But those that were in way back then can still get the benifits. He claims working on 10 speed now with no mail in when done for tcm just read and write like everything else so will see.
    My main reason is if ever get to where need to tune lt stuff again rather then convert I wouldn't be against loaning you my stuff to do the car. Seems like s lot of work for a impala ss but someone must love the car to not just do a full ls swap on it at this point. I have lt stuff left but wouldn't build one again knowing what you get with ls engines for a lot less money. Love the build though. Pm if ever need my stuff and can work it out.
    Joe
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    How did tuning go for this? Any issues along the way?