Thread: E40 - 2006 TBSS LS2 - Starts and dies

Tuner in Training

E40 - 2006 TBSS LS2 - Starts and dies

2006 trailblazer SS LS2 and a 2009 Silverado 4L60E swapped into a 240Z. The Engine will start but dies shortly after (less than a second).

From what I can tell the fuel (and maybe the ignition?) is being cut off. I thought I had disabled the VATS but maybe I missed something. I've attached a log with a couple start attempts and the .hpt file here. Can someone please have a look and help me track this issue down? TIA

log_file2.csv
    log_file2.hpl
    apr 20.hpt

Did you do a "Write Entire" after disabling the VATS?

Tuner in Training
    Can you try running it on an alternative fuel? Like have someone spray brake cleaner into the intake tube to keep it running. Then you can narrow down fuel versus spark problem. Also, try using a "noid" light on an injector to verify it's firing. Sounds like a VATS problem to me.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kgraves View Post
    Did you do a "Write Entire" after disabling the VATS?
    yup, I've done a write entire. I even shut everything down and read again to make sure it took the changes.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 1967Birdman View Post
    Can you try running it on an alternative fuel? Like have someone spray brake cleaner into the intake tube to keep it running. Then you can narrow down fuel versus spark problem. Also, try using a "noid" light on an injector to verify it's firing. Sounds like a VATS problem to me.
    From what I can gather in the log is that the timing is being cut (from 10.5 to -20) as soon as the RPMs get around 700, but I'm not sure why or what may be causing it.

I see the MAF reads nothing and your intake temps are always at -40, you need to fix that for sure.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I see the MAF reads nothing and your intake temps are always at -40, you need to fix that for sure.
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I didn't have the maf installed, but the engine should still start in a limp mode, shouldn't it?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lukaniuk View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I didn't have the maf installed, but the engine should still start in a limp mode, shouldn't it?
    Hook up your MAF, on a gen 4 it also contains your IAT.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the help everyone. It ended up being a fuel pressure issue, unrelated to the ecm.

Hopefully you fixed your MAF sensor issue as well in the process, can't be trying to tune a vehicle that shows -40 intake temps.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Hopefully you fixed your MAF sensor issue as well in the process, can't be trying to tune a vehicle that shows -40 intake temps.
    No tuning yet. Just wanted it to start and run a couple seconds.