Thread: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost 6R80

Tuner in Training

2016 Mustang Ecoboost 6R80

Have a built motor but no clue how to tune the trans for faster crisper shifts normal driving and WOT. Can anyone help and explain in lamest terms? Thanks!

I typically drive in Sport mode and shift with the paddles.

Senior Tuner
    I'm going to post the pics and info of a stock shift Vs modified 2-3 shift. You can tell the modified shift from the MPH spike from wheel spin. When I refer to lines I am referring to the stock shift. the line in the modified shift is for reference.

start shift and boost pressure.PNG

Lines show the command of shift and the boost pressure being reached. Watch for RPM flare here as too short a boost time or too low a boost pressure will be the cause. Too high of a boost time and you get what you see in the stock shift where off going pressure is delayed from on coming pressure ramp. I shortened the boost pressure times and did not lower the boost pressure, until shifts started when oncoming gear started its pressure. High initial slip time can over time undo your hard work here. If RPMs flare boost pressure needs to be increased along with boost time. you can always reduce the time but you want the pressure just high enough to prevent rpms flares.

begine TQ phase.PNG

Lines show the start of the TQ phase(transfer power from one gear to another). I actually lengthened this phase, torque transfer times can undo this if not increased to more than what you initially see.

end of TQ phase.PNG

Lines show end of TQ phase. AS you can see the reason for lengthening this was to increase the pressure at which oncoming and outgoing are equal for a firmer shift. Overall slip times can soften this over time by learning and lowering the pressures.

inertia phase.png

Lines show where the inertia phase starts. This is where the gears actually change and RPM starts to drop. As you can see the modified shift had slightly too short of clutch fill times. You can also see the RPMs drag going down. The stock shift has exceptionally long clutch fil times to ensure clutch engagement and no wear. The oncoming or Ramp rate is not applied until clutch fill times are done. Ramp rate was left alone.

I hope this information is simple enough to follow to improve your shifts and get them how you want them.

Also these shifts do not look that different, but they feel extremely different. I forgot to add the output shaft speed as you can see the clutch fill times from it before you get the tire spin.
    Last edited by murfie; 05-13-2017 at 06:15 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    I'm going to post the pics and info of a stock shift Vs modified 2-3 shift. You can tell the modified shift from the MPH spike from wheel spin. When I refer to lines I am referring to the stock shift. the line in the modified shift is for reference.

start shift and boost pressure.PNG

Lines show the command of shift and the boost pressure being reached. Watch for RPM flare here as too short a boost time or too low a boost pressure will be the cause. Too high of a boost time and you get what you see in the stock shift where off going pressure is delayed from on coming pressure ramp. I shortened the boost pressure times and did not lower the boost pressure, until shifts started when oncoming gear started its pressure. High initial slip time can over time undo your hard work here. If RPMs flare boost pressure needs to be increased along with boost time. you can always reduce the time but you want the pressure just high enough to prevent rpms flares.

begine TQ phase.PNG

Lines show the start of the TQ phase(transfer power from one gear to another). I actually lengthened this phase, torque transfer times can undo this if not increased to more than what you initially see.

end of TQ phase.PNG

Lines show end of TQ phase. AS you can see the reason for lengthening this was to increase the pressure at which oncoming and outgoing are equal for a firmer shift. Overall slip times can soften this over time by learning and lowering the pressures.

inertia phase.png

Lines show where the inertia phase starts. This is where the gears actually change and RPM starts to drop. As you can see the modified shift had slightly too short of clutch fill times. You can also see the RPMs drag going down. The stock shift has exceptionally long clutch fil times to ensure clutch engagement and no wear. The oncoming or Ramp rate is not applied until clutch fill times are done. Ramp rate was left alone.

I hope this information is simple enough to follow to improve your shifts and get them how you want them.

Also these shifts do not look that different, but they feel extremely different. I forgot to add the output shaft speed as you can see the clutch fill times from it before you get the tire spin.
    Thanks Murfie

Potential Tuner
    thats good stuff up there pete! When you going to GLD next?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyR View Post
    thats good stuff up there pete! When you going to GLD next?
    Very soon my friend