Thread: Turbo 5.3 low boost cant seem to rid myself of KR Please Help

Tuner in Training

Turbo 5.3 low boost cant seem to rid myself of KR Please Help

I have been trying to rid myself of KR. I have tried to richen everything, pull timing in the trouble areas and cant seem to make any progress. I am hoping someone can look at my most recent tune. The truck runs great in the morning when the temps are lower and the truck has gotten warm but not hot. I have a feeling the high IAT is a concern so I started to log it to find out. There doesnt seem to be a real correlation between high temps and KR that I can see. What I do notice is that the truck break up from 3200 to 4500 rpm so Ive richened it and pulled timing. That made it worse so I leaned it a little and left the timing alone. I think the breaking up is more of a reduction of timing from KR than anything. I have attached my most recent tune s10 turbo mod tune 5 5 17.hpt and a most recent log file. i 90 headed home.hpl The KR always seems to happen at roughly 3600 rpm then grows.

Can someone take a look at my tune and let me know if I am crazy or not?

Is it possible that the KR is phantom?

Would a meth kit help this? I am only running 5 lbs of boost but can only get 91 octane ethanol free fuel

Here is the layout I am using in case your's is different turbo layout 6.Layout.xml

Here is also a picture of a TR6 plug. There are no noisy spots on it.turbo 5.3 plug.jpg

The truck is a 2wd 87 S10
    3.73 gears
    700r4 trans

2 Bar SD tune

Motor is a 2000 5.3 with beehive valve springs, hardened pushrods, TSP 220/220/114 cam

The turbo is an On3 76mm 60mm wastegate, ebay intercooler, decapped truck injectors (roughly 80lbers)

Well, im looking at your VE and its really spiky... If it were my tune id work those spikes out.. might help a bit on the KR.. Also plot your timing retard with MAP in KPA instead of Cylinder AirMass, then take the MAP KPA row axes from your VE and put in for the row axes in your scanner and then you can see which cells your getting knock in vs what VE cell and see that the spikes and dips are where its happening...

I mean i really dont know, iv never tuned boost, though iv been studying how to for 3+ years now, soon i will be doing just what you have.. on3 with decaps.. i modded your tune but there is no way for me to save it.. and i tried doing it with my file but my OS is different than yours so..

Really man i think those spikes and dips have something to do with the KR unless you have some sport of vibration or the exhaust is hitting the frame or block or something like that.. I mean your also getting KR out of boost too so yeah .. like in the 50kpa to 115kpa from 3600rpm to 6400rpm, lots of cells there getting KR..

Im seeing the KR in the dips and spikes.. but like i said i could be wrong.. but its worth a try.. this is my tune on stock OS i tuned the VE with LTFTs then scaled the MAF +10... I can tel ya this for a fact, your engine will run WAY better part throttle out of boost with that VE smoothed out..

Ill throw up a tune.. Now in the 2 bar tune it is just what i made only in the VE, PE and BE nothing else.. id start with this and tune from that.. im not saying this is what you need to use, but im saying this is how smooth yours should be.. or really close, mainly in the part throttle areas lower MAP none boost..

Neways yeah man the VE from 5kpa to 105kpa is what im running now, 5.3 GM LS hotcam.. Well ill go a head and post both my files the 2 bar tune i modded for you and the one im running now. Hope they help you in some way.. peace
    Last edited by Monty; 05-07-2017 at 01:59 AM.