Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rich idle

Tuner in Training

Rich idle

First off thanks to all the people who have helped me along the way to learn how to tune my truck in. But the issue I'm having now I have been fighting for a few days. Truck idles at 10.6 af on my wideband. I have tried playing with the ve table and took it all the way down to 9 -10 in the idle zone to which the truck would barely run and was still only showing 11.5. So I tried the short pulse adder and went all the way down to the negatives with no change. I must be missing something

In cases like this, watch your injector pulse, if it's not changing, then you have something else blocking it.

Try changing the setting in the image below, to the value I have.

minFuel.jpg
    Persistence is the key to success

Tuner in Training
    I'll try that now. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    .002 is to low to run so I cut back from the. 044 I had down to 32 and it's at an 11.3 now but if I cut anymore it won't start

Advanced Tuner
    Are you logging inj. pulsewidth? What is it, roughly, at idle? 2.5ms or so??

I run my transient fuel at 0.028 and that will allow the injectors to go wayyy under 2ms, on the overrun they'll be at .5ms.

What sort of engine spec is this thing? I ask because your injector flow rate is 3x mine. Is it a turbo or? -ahh cancel that, I see it is from the VE...

If your injectors are big you'll have a hard job, maybe impossible job, to get it lean at idle - thats why bigger isn't always better, "just right" is the thing!
    Last edited by dermotw; 05-02-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Set it how I showed, Then add to the VE in idle and start area.

Tuner in Training
    I tried that and jacked the he'll out of the table by the end and it still will just fire and go all the way mean and shut off

Tuner in Training
    When I put those numbers in my afr commanded is 23 no matter what I do to fuel

Upload current tune.

Tuner in Training
    blue truck afterstart, transient,prime.hpt the tables i played with are in the title. got it to 12 in gear and about 11.6 in park

Tuner in Training
    After start enrichment and prime because I wouldn't start when I lowered the trans fuel. Tried the ve a lot. I must have messed something up in the beginning to can use this

Advanced Tuner
    Perhaps someone will correct me, but I don't think you can operate injectors like that. The absolute minimum PW any injector can run at is somewhere between 1 and 2ms (varies by manufacturer and injector sizing). You have set far less (0.12). I don't know what happens if you set figures like that, but I know that injectors don't work at such timings... set the min inj. pulse and default inj. pulse to 1ms as a base point imho.

And, log the injector pulsewidth at idle. If its down around (or under) 2ms then, to put it bluntly, thats your lot. You can't reduce the fuel more. You have to reduce the injector size....
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Tuner in Training
    The truck runs and drives awsome. Just rich idle. That data came directly from injectors dynamics for those injectors

I'm a fan of running the smallest injector you can while still getting your target power safely. You end up with the best drivabilty, Post a log of it at idle and driving.

Advanced Tuner
    10Sec - Indeed, so am I...

Hmm well I don't know why they would set such low numbers, but heres a quick snapshot of I-D's own site, talking about PW, just so you can see what I mean. No-one's injectors work properly under a 1ms or so, and usually they are inaccurate under about 2ms. Thats why I suggested to log the idle pw (which you can see they say as well in the text).

Once you have logged the PW, you will know if this is 'fixable' or if you are simply chasing your own tail trying!

Capture.JPG

Tuner in Training
    I'll log it right now. Idk why it's like that. I just copy and pasted

Tuner in Training
    blue drive rich idle.hpl
    highway alot of idle.hpl
    blue truck narrow band upstreams pluged in.hpl
    i tryed plugging my upsteam o2s in on th last one and it got alittle scary on the afr

Advanced Tuner
    Ok so your pulsewidths down in the low speed/idle areas are still ok, so it should be possible to get it lean enough. When I looked at yr VE table vs. my AFR error graph, the bottom end of that table is about 20% too rich just about everywhere...

I can't alter your file for you, but heres a couple of snapshots of what I did:

First, I highlighted 1st 2 columns (400/800rpm) and then multiplied them all by .85 (i.e. reduced them by 15%)
    Then did the same thing to the horizontal rows 15-45kpa but of course not the 1st 2 which are already reduced by 15%

Capture.JPG

Then just to blend it in slightly multiplied the highlighted section of the 1200 column by .95

Capture1.JPG

After that, yr VE looks more like this below. It won't be right, but I'd expect it to be much leaner low down, & you can check...

Capture.JPG

Just FYI, this is what your AFR said, I imagine you have it setup as well, sorry I'm not set to show the boost areas but its still relevant;

Capture.JPG

Adjusted VE based on the long idle log.. Give this a shot.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 10SecSleeper; 05-03-2017 at 03:33 PM.