Thread: Noob needs help on first run LQ9, runs terrible after engine warms up, throws codes

Potential Tuner

Noob needs help on first run LQ9, runs terrible after engine warms up, throws codes

So after start up, the engine warms up and then starts back firing and will shut itself off. ?ngine codes are
    0x10: P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Low (Pending, Current)
    0x10: P0103 - Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit High (Pending, Current)
    0x10: P0336 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Pending, Current, History)
    0x10: P0650 - Malfunction Indicator Light Control Circuit (Pending, History).
    The CPS is new. Coils are wired correctly. Here is log file and tune.
    The tune was done by BP automotive who also rewire harness.

Are you running a MAF sensor?

If you are, you have a wiring problem. The MAF reads nothing and your intake air temp sensor is pegged at -38, thus also showing you have no power to the MAF sensor.

If you aren't, you must set the tune up for that. All 3 MAF dtc need to be set to fail on first error, then uncheck the SES box to keep the engine light from coming on. You also must install a seperate intake air temp sensor somewhere, the computer uses it for all airflow/fueling calculations. Pretty lousey tuning if they can't even set the speed density tune up correctly and even wire in a IAT sensor into the swap harness.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I am. I will check the wiring on it. I have found two other issues with the harness already, including a ground that got missed. Although, after a lot of research, there was not much mention of a third ground at the alternator. Of coarse the alt bracket did have it clearly marked. What do you think about the P0336, my tach does get a signal, so what would be causing this code?

If you are running a MAF you need to re-enable the MAF Fail High settings. It's currently set to fail the MAF at 0hz, thus not running right because the other MAF settings aren't correct. Change it back to the factory settings, should be like 13,500hz. Still check for a power problem as the IAT sensor is not working.

Not sure on your tach problem.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Here is another start up. Mass Air has a signal, but still need lots of help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Did you re-enable the MAF settings?

Post the tune file.

I don't see the MAF reading anything in that log.

Potential Tuner
    I set it at 13500. My look at a stock truck file and it was 14000.

The MAF airflow freq fail high under ENGINE DIAG > AIRFLOW is still set to 0hz, you need to change that.

You MAF Calibraion under ENGINE > AIRFLOW > GENERAL itself is still zero'd out, you need to add factory numbers back in there.

Potential Tuner
    I see it didn't take the change for some reason.

Potential Tuner
    Wait. That was the back up I made. Here it is with the change.

The MAF CAlibration table is still zero'd out under the engine side. You need to populate that table with factory numbers and then it will run way better.

Potential Tuner
    Got it. Fixed it. I used the factory numbers from my 2000 5.3. I guess I screwed up paying them to do a start up tune, as I ended up with a bad tune and my factory numbers for this 6.0 are gone.
    I will log a run tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for your help. Check with me Tomorrow if you have time.

Potential Tuner

Still not right.

Well the thing still has a miss. Bank to Long term fuel trim leans way out. Do you have any suggestions?
    Codes thrown.
    0x10: P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank 2) (Pending)
    0x10: P0650 - Malfunction Indicator Light Control Circuit (Pending, History)
    Then Log 6 it Leaned of and shut off.

Check all the normal stuff like always. Check for vacuum leaks, bad seals on intake gaskets or exhaust leaks before the o2 sensor. If none there, move o2 sensors side to side to make sure it's not a sensor issue itself. Swap injectors side to side or atleast check the o-rings for possible problems.

Past that it still likely needs a lot of fine tuning if everything is not factory.

Potential Tuner

Need some expert advice

I am trying to VE tune the engine. It was very rich to start with like -18% out. I have adjusted it and now it has gone somewhat rich. My problem is when this thing warms up and I guess starts running in a closed loop, it still starts misfiring very bad. Like to the point that it wont run, or has 0 power. Am I missing something. Should I try something else besides VE tuning to stop the misfire? It runs decent cold, no misfire just a little sluggish. Does this just happen sometimes that it is so far out it takes a while to get it to act even decent.