Thread: 2004 - 5.3L bored to 5.7L - HELP! LOOKING FOR A TUNE FILE or HELP.

Potential Tuner

2004 - 5.3L bored to 5.7L - HELP! LOOKING FOR A TUNE FILE or HELP.

Thank you all in advance!

I have a 2004 5.3l bored to a 5.7l with the below mods/specs.

-AFR cylinder heads
    -42lb fuel injectors -(fuel psi 58)
    -FAST / LSX intake manifold
    -Jet Throttle body -(#7100)
    -Howards Cam -(#197245-12)
    -MAF = Stock and the air inlet tube

Does anyone out there have a tune that can be installed to make this run?? HELP Please. I am pulling my hair out trying to get this combination close / right. I'm looking to start over! Everything that I have tried has not worked or has gone in the total wrong direction. I can get it to run but idle stability is very poor. If it idles, when you blip the throttle it will stall coming back to idle.

PLEASE HELP !
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well along with your idle airflow tables the rest of the airflow tables need major adjustment. You can't expect it to know what to do when it has the stock VE and stock MAF curve still in there.

If it can idle on it's own you have a starting point, past that you need to work on the MAF and VE tuning. Hopefully once those are closer you will be able to fine tune your idle to throttle trasitions better.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Is there a specific amount I should change it to become close?

Google VE and MAF tuning, its not just a simple scale by __%. You're going to have to retune the entire VE and MAF, and you'll probably need to do some work with the base idle airflow. Do you have a wideband? If so that will make it easier.
    2000 K2500 - 489 CI Vortec w/ comp XE270 cam - 0411 swap and rear mount turbo
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Potential Tuner
    I have a innovative lm-2 wide band. Sometimes I'm not sure if i trust the data from it. seems very inconsistent. I'm just getting killed trying to get this straitened out.

See https://youtu.be/WA9XFuDQHjU how to tune idle for after market mild to large camshafts.. might help ya some.. Also see how to MAF fail for VE tuning with LTFTs on stock O2s https://youtu.be/R5lpDjVsioc you can log your wideband the same as in this video uses LTFTs then tune your VE from that.. it might help a little..

Here is my file same year almost same engine, this was from a 6.0 file i used for the junkyard 5.3 swap, i modded the VE, from a 5.3 file and then tuned it with the LTFTs and the Stock O2s, but your going to need to add more fuel in the higher MAP vs RPMS since you probably have a larger cam than a gm ls hot cam, and better flowing heads then stock 862s.. and will need to remove fuel for the lower RPMs and idle.. Not much im sure though.. Or you can install your stock O2s and do it as the video.. But its not so hard once you get the idea of it down..

Just make pid or whatever they are calling them now.. to log your wideband.. Or you can upgrade to SD and RTT and use your wideband gauge reading to tune in real time.. That would be the way id do it, since i dont have pro.. But again this tune here will get ya close man.. hope it helps ya peace

This is the full name of the file 2004 2500HD the404man 5-8-16 idle change converted to 5.3 tables smoothed VE with idle spark, airflow P-N to Gear, trans, idle rpm MAF+10% mods saved using 3.4

Now as long as you have the injector data right you should be good to go.. and start tuning your VE then MAF.. if you need injector data, have a look in the tune repository for 42lbers or in the sloppy wiki

Oh almost forgot.. with larger camshafts with overlap the O2s or wideband will read lean or be way rich..at idle sorry its getting late, i can not remember 100% correct someone will hopefully correct me here but its really not.. the unburned fuel tricks them, it will even smell rich.. and burn your eyes.. so sorry i can not recall the facts.. but one way or the other.. it will seem rich but its lean.. or lean but its rich.. just google large camshaft vs wideband.. or something like that..

Ok now one last thing.. and im done for the night ... whew.. yawn.. lol.. But i changed the injection timing (Normal & MakeUp) .53+ .. You tune will have the stock.. But this will change the way your cam lopes, see my videos for how this sounds.. 5.3 LM7 7500 mile update.. Also if not changed and you have a stock stall, your car will lurch forward with the cam lope.. i found this out because of that reason, trying to get rid of the lurch.. which, i think the cam has a better sound now.. neways so hope this helps ya out Jim.. peace man 2 thumbs up 2 got this Edit: ha at the time i uploaded the file, i double clicked thinking i was unlocking it but it was already unlocked ... ha but yeah its unlocked now.. :End Edit
    Last edited by Monty; 05-06-2017 at 07:21 PM.

How inconsistent? Good advice Monty.
    2000 K2500 - 489 CI Vortec w/ comp XE270 cam - 0411 swap and rear mount turbo
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Obsolete489 View Post
    How inconsistent? Good advice Monty.
    Thanks man may God bless you.. peace

Potential Tuner
    Monty, the file you attached is locked and will not open. any way you could unlock it and resend it? Thank you very much in advance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimford2 View Post
    Monty, the file you attached is locked and will not open. any way you could unlock it and resend it? Thank you very much in advance!!!
    Sorry man ha, i totally thought i made sure it was unlocked, doubled clicked it and all.. turns out it was unlocked to being with haha and i locked it... neways yeah its unlocked now.. peace
    Last edited by Monty; 05-13-2017 at 02:36 PM.