Thread: Torque Check? Purpose?

Torque Check? Purpose?

Does anyone know what this switch does? It's under Engine -> Torque Management -> General

Torque Check
    Enables check for torque when determing if vehicle is in motion

Senior Tuner
    My guess is its just like oscillation switch for tip in RPM smoothing, but for vehicle speed acceleration and steady state. Seems to be on newer turbocharged vehicles. I could see it reducing any rapid change of acceleration during the turbocharger spooling up giving a more linear power feel and helping maintain steady state speed if load on engine changes a lot.

The torque check switch is literally what it says. If its enabled, the ECU uses engine torques and transmission input torques to determine if the car is in gear and moving, primarily for the purpose of transmission diagnostics.

At the dragstrip, I did a really hard launch at about 2500 RPM and then mashed the gas down, which caused some kind of Engine Speed Limit error and limited me to 15 mph (wasn't even the same limp home mode or wrench icon error like when you mess with the torque tables). I'm wondering if this torque check has to be enabled?

I've seen it disabled in some aftermarket tunes, but whether it really needs to be or not is another story. Like you, I don't know what exactly it does.