Thread: Tuning Built 5R110W

Tuning Built 5R110W

Anyone had experience in tuning one? The stock shift pressures seem to be to high with the MTS Diesel solenoids. I have twice the off idle pressure of a stock 5R110 trans. stock being 60psi and mine being 120psi. 200psi in reverse (which is stock). 5 to 3 downshift will snap your neck. Upshifts are really firm and I expected this with the transgo shift kit and ALTO 150% over rebuild kit. Down shifts are what I think are too harsh for a daily driver. Everything is billet and I don't expect breakage, but DAMN. The downshifts are CRAZY.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Senior Tuner
    I don't know what your file looks like but the one I pulled out of the repository was missing a lot of tables. Generally you would add time to the adaptive tables to produce a smoother passenger feel shift. Of course these changes don't take immediate effect but over time it would smooth the shifts out as the ECM learns and adjust shift pressures to the ideal shift times. This might be your best bet until more tables become available.

I found this procedure to "speed up" the learning process. This may work on other transmissions also.

1) Start the engine, allow the engine and transmission to reach operating temperature with all accessories off.
    2) Once operating temperature has been reached, idle engine for a minimum of 1 minute with all accessories off.
    3) Idle engine for a minimum of 1 minute with the A/C turned on.
    4) Drive the truck and allow the transmission to shift from 1st to 5th with light throttle input. Repeat the process at medium throttle input, and finally at wide open throttle (if permitted, always obey local traffic laws).
    5) With the vehicle stopped and the gear selector in the N (neutral) position, perform the following series of gear engagements (the order is not important, but three different sets of gear engagements must be made):
    Shift from neutral (N) to reverse (R), then wait a minimum 3 seconds
    Shift from reverse (R) to drive (D), then wait a minimum 3 seconds
    Shift from drive (D) to neutral (N), then wait a minimum 3 seconds
    Repeat this sequence once more with the Tow/Haul mode activated. Following these procedures will potentially reduce the relearn time of the adaptive strategy system.

Something odd with this transmission is 4th gear ratio is only used during cold operation shift schedule - 5R110W normally shifts 1-2-3-5-6
    Last edited by murfie; 04-28-2017 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    I don't know what your file looks like but the one I pulled out of the repository was missing a lot of tables. Generally you would add time to the adaptive tables to produce a smoother passenger feel shift. Of course these changes don't take immediate effect but over time it would smooth the shifts out as the ECM learns and adjust shift pressures to the ideal shift times. This might be your best bet until more tables become available.

I found this procedure to "speed up" the learning process. This may work on other transmissions also.

1) Start the engine, allow the engine and transmission to reach operating temperature with all accessories off.
    2) Once operating temperature has been reached, idle engine for a minimum of 1 minute with all accessories off.
    3) Idle engine for a minimum of 1 minute with the A/C turned on.
    4) Drive the truck and allow the transmission to shift from 1st to 5th with light throttle input. Repeat the process at medium throttle input, and finally at wide open throttle (if permitted, always obey local traffic laws).
    5) With the vehicle stopped and the gear selector in the N (neutral) position, perform the following series of gear engagements (the order is not important, but three different sets of gear engagements must be made):
    Shift from neutral (N) to reverse (R), then wait a minimum 3 seconds
    Shift from reverse (R) to drive (D), then wait a minimum 3 seconds
    Shift from drive (D) to neutral (N), then wait a minimum 3 seconds
    Repeat this sequence once more with the Tow/Haul mode activated. Following these procedures will potentially reduce the relearn time of the adaptive strategy system.

Something odd with this transmission is 4th gear ratio is only used during cold operation shift schedule - 5R110W normally shifts 1-2-3-5-6
    Thank you for your input. I have done all the relearn stuff several times. Hasn't really helped. I have seven days on the trans and about 200 miles. Has gotten better, but still.... I have adjusted shift schedule and it has helped. I am thinking of adjusting slip time on down going shifts to compensate for the larger clutch surface the trans has now. When I added that tune to repository, there wasn't as much support for the trans as there is now. I will post my latest tune when I get home from work.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

My latest tune. Down shifts are much better now. I had to adjust the speeds to a LESS aggressive speed to compensate for the LACK of slip the trans has now. This tune is a monster.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2023 Ford Edge ST

what is done to the trans as far as the build goes tune looks aggressive but not bad i was going to try it in my truck

Quote Originally Posted by gibbswrecker View Post
    what is done to the trans as far as the build goes tune looks aggressive but not bad i was going to try it in my truck
    Truck has 200gph Air Dog system. Fuel filter delete. external engine oil cooler, RCD stainless manifolds and up pipes. 5 inch intake and exhaust. Trans is fully built to 1000hp specs. Alto 150% clutches, billet input, intermediate, low/rev hub, and planetary. Transgo shift kit and manual valve. Deep pan. Billet triple disk converter. CCV delete. RCD intercooler pipes.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Potential Tuner
    Did you ever end up with a tune you were happy with?