Thread: New to tuning looking for someone to take a look

Potential Tuner

New to tuning looking for someone to take a look

Hey guys been reading a lot and still lost but i'm learning. I got a 2001 lm7 5.3 a couple years ago that was suppose to be good. Popped the heads off to have them freshened up and noticed some rust in the cylinders. So I had it taken .020 over and did flat top pistons and shorty headers. Other than that the motor is stock. I removed all the evap and egr system. And am running a th400 behind it. The motor is in a strictly off road jeep, with 45" tires and low gearing. I was having a really hi idle found that my iac valve was bad, it was no longer pressed together somehow and a vacuum leak was coming from it so I got a new one. Yesterday I drove it around for a couple of minutes and am attaching a log of it. Im pretty sure one of the origional O2 sensors are bad so Ill be replacing it this week. I was wondering if you guys could take a look and and tell me what you think. My fan didnt turn on, so at the end when i saw it shoot up I manually turned it on. My autometer ect gauge did not say it was that hot either. Thanks guys.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You will want to change the cylinder volume in the tune to be correct for the size motor it's now running. It is no longer a 5.3 since you bored it larger, figure out what size it is and correct it so the computers calculations can be more accurate.

Past that you'll have to re-tune the MAF curve and primary/secondary VE table for the change in engine size, you can see that in the fuel trims how off they are now. Trims go very positive at time, nearly 23-25%.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Past that you'll have to re-tune the MAF curve and primary/secondary VE table for the change in engine size, you can see that in the fuel trims how off they are now. Trims go very positive at time, nearly 23-25%.
    What??? I'm seeing 0.4, 0.3, -0.6, -1.3, -1.7, -1.4, -0.6, -2... (Average) fuel trims everywhere in my ST fuel trim graph. A couple -9 but those cells only had a couple hits. Looks good to me.

@akprice regarding your fan: Your fan temps are set at 140C (max values) + under Fan Type = No Fans (under the "System" tab). So if you want your fan to work, change them to something - normal.

Speaking of "- normal"..
    Just before the 16 minute mark of your log, your Fuel System Status goes from "CL - Normal" to "CL - Fault". Check your DTCs.

Potential Tuner
    When you say fuel system status I dont really know why it would change. I have a fuel cell in it with no gauge on it. Here are my codes.

0x10: P0405 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low (Pending)
    0x10: P0443 - Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit (Pending, Current)
    0x10: P0449 - Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit Intermittent (Pending, Current)
    0x10: P0452 - Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low (Pending, Current, History)
    0x10: P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit High (Pending, Current)
    0x10: P0706 - Transmission Range Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Current)
    0x10: P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit / Open (Pending, Current)
    0x10: P0748 - Pressure Control Solenoid A Electrical (Pending)
    0x10: P0753 - Shift Solenoid A Electrical (Pending, Current, History)
    0x10: P0785 - Shift/Timing Solenoid (SES, Pending, Current)
    0x10: P1860 (Pending, Current)

Thanks for all the help. Ill fix the fan

Mr smith, did you even look at his long term fuel trims?

They are all over the place positive.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Mr smith, did you even look at his long term fuel trims?
    No..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    I'm seeing...........in my ST fuel trim graph.
    I just checked out his log again and saw his LTs.. and remembered why I stopped bothering with LTFTs. His ST (and LT) will be saying -0.3, -0.8... then out of the blue, his LT (only) will shoot up to 20%.
    Makes sense..

Just noticed his LTFTs shoot up when his revs drop below 600.
    Maybe raise idle to 610.. see if the LTFTs shoot up at idle then..