Thread: supercharged 6.0 won't start - backfires

Advanced Tuner

Thumbs down supercharged 6.0 won't start - backfires

got a nightmare project on my hands that i'm trying to wrap up...03 silverado, originally a turbo 5.3, previous tuner blew it up and caught the truck on fire, it sat for a year then wound up in my shop with a 6.0 from the same shop that blew it up (with an unkown cam in it) and a radix blower off another unknown vehicle, and a TH350 from God knows where.

It cranks, hits a couple times, then cranks without so much as a sputter, then occasionally backfires...pulled spark plugs out and they're soaked and black. i pulled fuel from the VE and cranking VE, virtually no change at all. The truck has the 42# 8.1/marine injectors than nobody can agree on data for that came with the blower. There may be errors in the tune, i don't know, that's why i'm posting this though so hopefully somebody can find something. i can't even get it started to have a baseline to work off of and i'm trying really hard not to consider the mechanical issues that could be awaiting discovery in this unknown-condition 6.0. i've attached the current calibration and a log of it cranking. any ideas?

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    truck has a C5 filter regulator, no vacuum reference or anything like that, fwiw

Look at your MAP sensor, it's running at nearly 100kpa just at idle.

Is it still a 2 bar MAP like the tune is setup for?

Do you have a stock MAP sensor to quickly swap it with and then change the linear/offset settings for a quick test?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    i do not have the original MAP, it has one for a Cobalt SS in it.

it's not actually idling, its just key on with nothing happening or cranking. it doesn't fire for . shouldn't the map show ~100kpa KOEO?

If it's a cobalt map then the settings are 200 and 10.33. This is my thoughts here too, if the vehicle is running a speed density tune keep the MAF table factory and disable the MAF sensor with the MAF fail high set to 0hz and the 3 MAF dtc's set to first error. The MAF fail high isn't set to zero in that tune.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    i literally just noticed that...took another log, and here it is...better, but no dice...acts like it wants more airflow, so i'll try that
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Truck still won't start and is soaking the plugs, even with me taking up to 60% out of the VE and cranking VE... Based on some reading I've done, the injectors that are in it won't be big enough for the setup anyway, so we're going to swap to bigger injectors with known characterization data. I'm also going to try swapping in a spare pcm this evening first, just to rule that out as being faulty. I can't imagine all 8 injectors are stuck open or all firing wrong in the same manor, but that seems to be what's happening. I can't tell if they're they problem or the pcm. I know my calibration (and all the variations i tried) isn't perfect, but it should start up or at least fire up and struggle for a few seconds then die....i would think anyway.

Advanced Tuner
    In the back of my mind, i keep thinking it's acting like the cam is out of time. I'm just trying to rule out a few things before i tell the owner the engine may need pulled out.