Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HT383e/0411 dyno tuned IFR @ 19 instead of 23.1lb/hr

Thanks for the help 489,......
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

For 0411 swappers,...Both tunes have been loaded into the HPTuners Repository. One is the 100% Stock base tune for the 2002 Express Van 5.7L Vortec, 4L60e, 3.73 Rear 4WD. And, the other is the same,.. except the base tune's been changed for the HT383e, typical systems/items switched off, and, the 4L60e section was modified so you don't have to put the wires from the PCM to transmission (don't know if that's only for the 96 truck though,.. you'd better check that first).

Both tunes are bases for the 5.7L Vortec, 4L60e, 3.73 rear, 4WD 0411 swap,...except one has mods for the HT383e (which I stated in the repository tune description). These are straight from LexTech himself thus, you know there right (what a good guy he is),...

I just uploaded them,... HPTuners said they need to verify its an HPT format (or something like that) before they post them, so, may be a day or two before you can see them.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Is this right? To fix the issue, my local tuner adjusted the IFR vs Kpa table from 19.0 to 21.9 (across the board),....then simply scaled up the entire VE and MAF tables by the same % increase,...without putting the truck back on the dyno. The truck was previously dyno tuned and ran good. Is this cool/correct/good to go?

Noboooody knows,....da troubles dat I've seen,....

It seems like sound logic to me, but at the same time I would really want some kind of verification that everything is indeed correct. I don't think it would be that hard for your tuner to put the truck back on the dyno, reinstall a wideband, and just put it through it's paces to verify the VE and MAF tuning.
    2000 K2500 - 489 CI Vortec w/ comp XE270 cam - 0411 swap and rear mount turbo
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Thanks 489. My local tuner actually adjusted the MAF/VE table percentages from the 19.1 to 21.9 difference,....instead of 19.0 to 21.9,....I don't know if that .1% really makes any difference.

But, I went back through both tables and adjusted the %,....from 1.1465968586 to 1.1526315789,....again, don't know if the difference in percentages would really make that much of a difference,....but figured best get er right, numbers wise anyway.

I agree, it shouldn't be hard to slap it back on the dyno to confirm everything,...but, he acted like adjusting these few tables was a big pain in his ass,.......I guess he thinks, because he's had a little media exposure, that he's too good now,....I hate to sound negative,...but when you combine this, with him adjusting my shift tables much higher/then not adjusting my TCC table at all (to suit - see my other post),...it leaves a bad taste.

Thus, the reason I'm now going down the path of learning all this stuff myself,....can't trust anyone anymore,...even when you pay top dollar.

I definitely do not blame you for being a little sour about the whole deal, because the changes he made probably took 10 minutes, if that.

I wouldn't worry about the 1% too much, and really I think you're probably safe to enjoy the truck and run it hard. But it definitely wouldn'y hurt to learn how to do it yourself, install a wideband, and verify everything someday.

Do you have HPT pro or standard?
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Yeah man, it only took me a little bit to change those tables to suit the .1% adjustment,...thus for him, would have been a blink. Thus, don't know why he had an attitude,....but, can say,.... it needs tweaking.
    I was thinking last night, would there be any other tables/adjustments I'd have to make (along with those MAF/VE tables)? Idle airflow or anything like that? Just wondering.

Yes sir, next on my list is a good wideband,...and upgrade to HPT Pro version. I first need to get a book or some DVD's to learn tuning sequence/proper way to do it. I've been researching those DVD's,....so I can first get better acquainted (I learn quicker with monkey see/monkey do),...then go over the books to firm it all up.
    You have any experience with any of those DVD's/know of anyone selling their's used at a good price? The books are cheap, but, man,...those DVD's hurt the wallet a bit (not saying there not worth it). Any preferences from your experience?

With a Wideband, because I have a pair of Hedman Hustler long tube race headers, it may be a challenge to get the wideband bung in the header collector,....I had Hedman weld bungs in both collectors before ceramic coating (didn't want a potential header collector flange leak throwing my main O2 sensors off),....I've heard, we don't want to mount the wideband sensor downstream of a collector header flange (in case of leak),...yet, needs to be a certain distance from the factory O2's?,....I'm probably wrong here,....any thoughts?

Thanks man,...I appreciate it.

I just noticed, HPTuners upgraded me to "Tuner" status,....man, I ain't no tuner,....ain't even close. HPTuner reps, can you please adjust this back down? I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression that I know what I'm doing/talking about.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutchinson View Post
    I just noticed, HPTuners upgraded me to "Tuner" status,....man, I ain't no tuner,....ain't even close. HPTuner reps, can you please adjust this back down? I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression that I know what I'm doing/talking about.
    Bwahahaha! You're good man. It's just based on how many posts you have.

bahahaha,...And here I thought HPTuners made a mistake and plugged me instead of some other guy on their list!

I honestly haven't looked at any books or anything like that. I just spent a lot of time reading on this forum and a few others to get an understanding of the process, then once I had the software I just went slow and started with the VE and MAF and have been expanding from there. Some of the stuff just takes trial and error. I am by no means an expert.

As far as other things that reference the IFR, there isnt anything else that I can think of, as long as the truck starts well.

You may want to read the instructions for whatever wideband you're looking at, the one that I bought called out a distance downstream from the headers. I have to imagine that it would be a nightmare getting an o2 bung welded in to the headers, with them in the truck. I would just put it in one of the mid-pipes, near one of the factory o2s should be fine. Just make sure your collectors aren't leaking while you're tuning.

If you are going to tune in open loop, you could just put the wideband in one of the factory o2 bungs as a temporary deal, unless you want it to be permanent.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Appreciate it 489,....thanks for that piece of mind on the IFR,...we adjusted idle air/idle when we dyno tuned the truck. Thus should be good to go,....aaahhhhh piece of mind,,,,,good place to be. The truck fires right up, not even a full revolution,...and bam, it fires and purrs like a kitten. If you couldn't hear it, you wouldn't even know it was running,...smooth.

I'm studying "how to" VE/MAF tuning right now. Doesn't seem difficult,......my wife probably thinks I'm having an online affair or something, due to how long I'm on the net

I hear you on the wideband/headers,....the dual ss exhaust (StainlessWorks cats delete) has an "X" tie pipe, located where the two lines come close together/before entering the two separate Flowmaster 50's. I may just weld a bung in that "X" pipe so I can read all 8 cylinders flow/mount it permanently,....if wideband install instructions say it's cool. Just have to tighten the hell out of those Stage8 locking bolts to assure no leaks at the header collector flange,...the rest of the stainless exhaust system is fully welded.

Thanks again 489,......I truly appreciate it bud. Look up "Florida Tarpon Fishing" on YouTube,....if your ever down here in Florida,...let me know,...I'll put u on one of those beasts,...best be ready for an hour long, bare knuckle fight.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't suggest trying to read all 8 cylinders. If you are only going to run 1 WB sensor run it on 1 bank or the other. Use the mV readings from the stock sensors to compare the bank to bank differences. This will give you an idea of how both Banks are running.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglegoat View Post
    I don't suggest trying to read all 8 cylinders. If you are only going to run 1 WB sensor run it on 1 bank or the other. Use the mV readings from the stock sensors to compare the bank to bank differences. This will give you an idea of how both Banks are running.
    ^^^ I put my Wideband in the leaner bank.

Try to shoot for slightly negative fuel trims so that the PCM is not adding fuel when you go into PE.

Advanced Tuner
    Also I run a lean cruise enabled calibration in my Express. I run about 16-16.5:1 afr at steady cruising speed. I run down the road at 50-60 kpa, 16.5-16:1 and 48-42? of timing. The afr/timing numbers I listed so they correlate with the KPA. 50 kpa, 16.5:1, 48?, 60 kpa, 16:1, 42?. you won't be able to run that much timing with the distributer, tops out around 40? due to mechanical limitations. With the 24x coil per cylinder I do not experience misfiring and the oil temps stay low very reasonably low with the factory radiator mounted oil cooler. I have gotten 19 mpg running 2,400 rpm @ 75 mph when I had 3.73 gears. With the Lunati 218/228 @ .050 Hotcam, 4.56 gears and running 3,000 @ 75, I was still knocking on 18 mpg my last long road trip.

Glad things are coming together. And I appreciate the offer haha that sounds like a damn good time.

Eagle is correct, just throw it in the leaner side, not sure which that would be though.

Fast, how did you get LC enabled? I had been reading around on it but the only thing I found was that I would have to change to a holden platform type? I am currently running OL and commanding 15.5 AFR in those cruise areas. But obviously I cant take advantage of a timing adder like the LC function has. Either way, my mileage isn't terrible. Dailying (10 miles highway, 3 city each way) I'm getting 12.5 to 13.5 with a crew cab pickup.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Thanks guys,....when I read y'all's responses, that light bulb "bing" went off in my head,.......and damn near knocked me down! Imagine being smacked with a Tyson looping right hook,....laaaabam! Yeah,...that was me.

I'll definitely review and put it on the leaner side.

Fast 4.7, yes sir, that 24x CPC is a sweat upgrade,.....I plan to install it at the same time I put the Whipple/marine intake on. I've been watching OleBlue's thread about his EFI intake install,...that may be in the cards, instead of the marine.

I sure wish I could get 19MPH (that's badass, especially in an Express) but,......I just can't seem to keep my right foot from arguing with that 383.

489,...yes sir, fill the cooler with your favorite carbonated malt beverages and go let those 150-200# fish commence to whippin that ass all day. If you haven't watched Florida tarpon fishing on YouTube yet,... I simply must warn you first,....do it when your wife ain't around,..it'll give you a chubby, and leave her thinking you been watching naughty stuff on the net,...

Tuner in Training
    I have the same setup in a96 Yukon just did the swap & I have no 3or4th gear was reading your about having to add 4x4 tables! what yr did you use? I think we use a 01 g van is it compatable w/that file? could you help a brother out & point me in the right direction to get this tuned properly? thanks a lot!

Tuner in Training
    o yes I do exact same set up! maybe you could help a brother out!Lol!