Thread: Maf tuning airflow vs. Period.

Maf tuning airflow vs. Period.

When tuning the maf. Ive heard airfloe vs period is better way to tune rather vs voltage. When tuning for maf. I need to log mass airfloe period am I correct? And also mass airflow? When tuning what do i have log to see if i increase or decrease the numbers?

I assume the car runs now. This is a brief overview only: If you are starting from scratch then copy the MAF transfer from a similarly modded car from the repository. Load the appropriate PIDs into the channel section of the scanner. Then build a graph that logs those PIDs. (There are many different ways to do this). Log the car by driving around, trying to hit various RPMS to get some good data into the scanner. Once the scanner has good data, you will then see if you need to remove or add flow at that particular airflow period. There are many good and precise tutorials on this located in the forum. I would recommend you search for MAF transfer function and follow those threads to get a detailed overview of the process.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

What do I need to look at the scanner to see if i should add or remove. Truck is a 6.2l f150. I had a canned tune but i know it will need to be modified since the truck was not logged they only emailed tune

MAF Tuning with the Scanner

Again, search this forum for the tutorials. There are plenty of different ways to modify the MAF transfer function. Here are screen shots of one of my channels and charts. These screen captures illustrate some of the many PIDs you can utilize to fine tune a late model Coyote.

Log1.png Log2.png Log3.png Log4.png Log5.png

Once you have good data, you simply modify your tune based on the numbers in the scanner. Do a search on the forum for 'Tuning MAF Transfer function'. Another suggestion: If you want to learn proper techniques, purchase the Coyote Cookbook from Don LaSota (www.lasotaracing.com) or sign up for some on-site tuning classes or web-based tutorials.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Tuner in Training
    Don't discount the MAF, it is the bases to getting your fueling issues diales in. Do like the others told you and study this forum and also go to youtube, there are some great guys on there also. GoatRopeGarage is a great goes over mostly GM stuff but, a lot of it can be applied to Fords also.