Thread: Question on Mapped Points...Why Not Disable All But A few?

Senior Tuner

Question on Mapped Points...Why Not Disable All But A few?

Getting acquainted with the coyote (specifically 2015) tuning and see a lot around determining which mapped point you are in to determine which to tweak in the tune. What is the downside to making all the tables the same for spark, torque, and variable cam timing, is it just a loss of usable datapoints to tune?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Getting acquainted with the coyote (specifically 2015) tuning and see a lot around determining which mapped point you are in to determine which to tweak in the tune. What is the downside to making all the tables the same for spark, torque, and variable cam timing, is it just a loss of usable datapoints to tune?
    Everyone does things different, you could disable the ones you don't feel like dealing with, but you have to make sure you update the distance tables in order to make sure the ECM isn't going to try and use a now disabled map. By disabling them you are really just limiting what how adaptable the ECM can be for varying conditions. Technically you could disable all but 1 map and the OP and then car would run like most other cars that only have 1 spark map, but you lose adjustability this way. I leave them all on and then add spark to the tables being used during WOT, which is usually just the OP table in the 11-14s. This is different on 15+ though since they almost never use OP

Senior Tuner
    Thanks makes a lot of sense.

Advanced Tuner
    Lol. I mapped out OP and ran with just that on and all the rest off. Sort of a "what happens if I press this button?". It's how I learn. Ran great too.

I often run only 3-5 MPs rather than 80 billion like stock.

Idle, part throttle, WOT

Advanced Tuner
    You have to remember that much of the tune, including MPs, is there to meet emission and fuel economy standards. In addition, the engineers had to make sure the car is "comfortable" for the average driver. The Roush strategy has 7 MPs active, while the stock tune has 13.

Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    You have to remember that much of the tune, including MPs, is there to meet emission and fuel economy standards. In addition, the engineers had to make sure the car is "comfortable" for the average driver. The Roush strategy has 7 MPs active, while the stock tune has 13.

Also as cam position changes so does cylinder pressure. I think that's the main reason to have a few different MP timing maps vs just 1.

Tuner in Training
    I'm only using half of them on my turbo car. It seems to be working fine, and made things a lot easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Everyone does things different, you could disable the ones you don't feel like dealing with, but you have to make sure you update the distance tables in order to make sure the ECM isn't going to try and use a now disabled map. By disabling them you are really just limiting what how adaptable the ECM can be for varying conditions. Technically you could disable all but 1 map and the OP and then car would run like most other cars that only have 1 spark map, but you lose adjustability this way. I leave them all on and then add spark to the tables being used during WOT, which is usually just the OP table in the 11-14s. This is different on 15+ though since they almost never use OP
    How exactly do you configure the distance tables when you do this?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by meatbag View Post
    How exactly do you configure the distance tables when you do this?
    Go to the distance tables and set them for a value that corresponds with a still enable map, if they are pointed to a now disable map you will run into some issues, so if it says it points to row 6, and row 6 is listed as a disable map, then you need to point it to a row that is listed as a still enabled map, or change the value of the row to a still enable map

this looked a good thread to post my question. I still don't know how the strategy "picks" the mapped point it "wants" to be in. For example, I can copy all the VCT angles, speed density and even spark tables from MP8 to MP0, and then change the distance tables to never look past MP0 and the car still will shy away from MP0 and want to use (higher weight) other mapped points (like 8 or 10) at idle. What am I missing?
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GapRider View Post
    this looked a good thread to post my question. I still don't know how the strategy "picks" the mapped point it "wants" to be in. For example, I can copy all the VCT angles, speed density and even spark tables from MP8 to MP0, and then change the distance tables to never look past MP0 and the car still will shy away from MP0 and want to use (higher weight) other mapped points (like 8 or 10) at idle. What am I missing?
    There are other tables for optimal stability, fuel economy, that is selected based on load, then that once enabled it will reference the distance tables for that source, then use that table to determine which map to run and how much to blend with another map

There are other tables for optimal stability, fuel economy, that is selected based on load, then that once enabled it will reference the distance tables for that source, then use that table to determine which map to run and how much to blend with another map

What's the decimal/half values mean in the distance tables?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrooks98 View Post
    What's the decimal/half values mean in the distance tables?
    That is going to cause a blend

I should have mentioned, I've tried to make it favor MP0 there too by decreasing max load for fuel econ and raising max load for opt stab, I've got every mapped point and distance table pointing to MP0 @ 1000 RPM and below and still it weights away from MP0 to MP1,8 or 10. It just seems like there's other factors that are controlling the MP weight at that situation at idle RPM and I can't find them.

Forgot to add, I've also copied tq and invtq table values from MP8 int MP0, yet car still wont settle on MP0. It seems like even though all those tables for MP8(which are correct from the factory I assume) are copied to MP0 for idle, something additional is driving the weighting factor.
    Last edited by GapRider; 05-25-2017 at 05:53 AM.
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else

Tuner
    I am really glad this topic came up as I was just about to post a new thread on how do I tune for distance tables. I recently posted a thread on IMRC deletes ( https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...-delete-tuning ) and have played with many different settings by disabling many maps to see best performance without using IMRC's. On my S550 I disabled all but maps 14, 15, 16, 21 and OP, mainly using map 21 for my WOT spark and OP for cams, just an an experiment. My setup is E85, long tube headers, GT350 intake with stock TB. I was also using stock distance tables and map point configurations for emission reduction, fuel economy and optimal stability as I did not know much about how these worked. Using these maps alone and some OP cam timing the car runs great I can run up to 32 degrees of timing before knock. Per the thread I posted on IMRC's, Murfie suggested I look up a Vortech tune for reference and found this link ( https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...5-vortech-tune ) which I experimented and copied all the map point configurations but not the distance tables and left everything else the same......
    Attachment 69741
    .....This tune has maps 14-25 enabled. When I did this and went to go log I had horrible knock and after many spark adjustments I found I could not run my timing past 28 degrees before knock, which I found very strange because I was getting knock at WOT on the same map 21 as I used before in the previous tune which I could get up to 32 degrees timing without knock, knowing all cam timing was coming from the same OP came tables on both tunes, so I really don't know what other difference caused such a huge change. I can only think that by not configuring the distance tables had something to do with the car not running right spark wise. Question is, can anyone please explain how these distance tables work, because when looking at this Vortech link tune posted (see below pic), the distance tables "values" don't point to any map points that are turned on even though the car cycles through them on the log. Same can be said for the stock distance tables I used on my first tune, so maybe I am not understanding how these tables work correctly or how these values are used. Why at WOT I could not get the same spark timing too? Also, is there a way when going into WOT you can pick only one map to use?

Attachment 69742

I'm answering with what I believe to be true, hoping for clarification from those that do know.
    The trio of MP tables - MP configuration, snap to point and snap to line look to define how it works.
    This is what I understand but anyone please correct me.
    MP Configuration is just a table of toggles to flag each MP as either enabled or disabled - I assume that means "use" or "don't use"
    Snap to line looks like it defines the path of progression through MP's, it goes in order 0-1,1-2,2-3...ending with 7
    Snap to point I don't get: 0-7 are enabled and I see as I gently accelerate, MP's follow that progression following the snap to line path 0-7 in order
    but I don't get the meaning of 8-9 snap to point being 0, does that mean they are MPs that the ECM will jump to but no line progression to follow?
    MP trio.JPG
    Stock everything else

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by R8Bill View Post
    I am really glad this topic came up as I was just about to post a new thread on how do I tune for distance tables. I recently posted a thread on IMRC deletes ( https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...-delete-tuning ) and have played with many different settings by disabling many maps to see best performance without using IMRC's. On my S550 I disabled all but maps 14, 15, 16, 21 and OP, mainly using map 21 for my WOT spark and OP for cams, just an an experiment. My setup is E85, long tube headers, GT350 intake with stock TB. I was also using stock distance tables and map point configurations for emission reduction, fuel economy and optimal stability as I did not know much about how these worked. Using these maps alone and some OP cam timing the car runs great I can run up to 32 degrees of timing before knock. Per the thread I posted on IMRC's, Murfie suggested I look up a Vortech tune for reference and found this link ( https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...5-vortech-tune ) which I experimented and copied all the map point configurations but not the distance tables and left everything else the same......
    Attachment 69741
    .....This tune has maps 14-25 enabled. When I did this and went to go log I had horrible knock and after many spark adjustments I found I could not run my timing past 28 degrees before knock, which I found very strange because I was getting knock at WOT on the same map 21 as I used before in the previous tune which I could get up to 32 degrees timing without knock, knowing all cam timing was coming from the same OP came tables on both tunes, so I really don't know what other difference caused such a huge change. I can only think that by not configuring the distance tables had something to do with the car not running right spark wise. Question is, can anyone please explain how these distance tables work, because when looking at this Vortech link tune posted (see below pic), the distance tables "values" don't point to any map points that are turned on even though the car cycles through them on the log. Same can be said for the stock distance tables I used on my first tune, so maybe I am not understanding how these tables work correctly or how these values are used. Why at WOT I could not get the same spark timing too? Also, is there a way when going into WOT you can pick only one map to use?

Attachment 69742
    I was trying to look at your tunes file differences to see how they would/should act differently, but the files arent actually attached?
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere