Thread: What the hell is this?

Tuner in Training

What the hell is this?

Hope I didn't do anything stupid. I clicked OK...

​If I did something stupid what now?

IMG_0140.jpg

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

2007 Silverado NBS 1500 4x4 Z71 LT 5.3 4l60e

Did you follow steps 1 through 4, exactly?

VCM Editor is one of those applications where just clicking ok to breeze through windows without reading can cause serious or irreversible damage to your vehicles computer.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    I didn't do anything yet.

So do what it says and I should be ok?

What do I do with the stock program?

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

Tuner in Training
    Actually, it didn't say anything. Down at the bottom, nothing like do not select this!!

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 11.13.35 PM.png

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

It is not that nobody should ever do that.....It is just that if you do....you need to follow the directions exactly.....and you need to know why you would make that change.........before you make it. For most naturally aspirated motors there is no need to upgrade to 2bar system.

HPTuners system can destroy a motor or PCM if not handled with respect. I do not just go punching buttons figuring I can back up later....much better to read, read, read, read, then look at all what is availed to you in the VCM Editor. Running the cursor over the different options brings up a description at the bottom. If you have not learned about that particular option yet you can search the forums for info on that item.

ENJOY! And never be afraid to just ask a question on here.

Tuner in Training
    What are my options at this point?

I could follow the instructions 1-4 BUT !

The steps what I did:

Started with this, clicked "apply code modification"
    1.png

Then it went to this, clicked OK
    2.png

Then it went to this
    1.png

I closed the OS page with the red X, opened the engine page, went back to the OS page and it looked like this again
    1.png

By now I did all this about 5 times.

So I ask you again, what are my options?

Can I delete all the saved files and be safe?

I thought about uninstalling HPT and start all over. Which is no loss because I didn't get very far.

If I try to open the files I get this
    4.png

I haven't done anything except what I wrote.

HPT is still open waiting for my next move.

I hope your not as confused like I am!

Please help!

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

Tuner in Training

OK, Think I'm getting the gist on this OS enhancement. Still a lot of reading and re-reading to do. I hate reading!

I didn't realize poking around would bite me. I thought it was just another scale or parameters I could look at.

I haven't found if there is a way to stop the proses.
    And going forward might be risky, since I closed and reopened the page 5 times.
    The second time was because I didn't realize what I did, the other 3 times was to take pics, figured it couldn't hurt at this point.

So I think I will uninstall HPT and start over. Unless someone has a better idea.
    I have the original stock program in my other lap top, a POS PC.
    Last edited by Blueboy; 03-22-2017 at 09:56 AM.

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

Tuning Addict
    Do you have a another stock file saved? If not, just read another one out of the vehicle. This isn't a big deal. They just put the warnings on there to let you know the possibility of trouble is there. In the future when you want to do the enhancement all you need to do is apply it then close the window and immediately save the file under a new name. No biggie.

Tuner in Training
    I do have a stock file in my other computer.

Can I delete the current file I did the enhancement in and forget this ever happened?

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

The Warning is important

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The Warning is important
    Understood. But that doesn't answer my question.

Can I follow the steps in saving, even after I closed and reopened the page 5 times??

Or can I delete the current file I did the enhancement in and forget this ever happened??

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
    Understood. But that doesn't answer my question.

Can I follow the steps in saving, even after I closed and reopened the page 5 times??

Or can I delete the current file I did the enhancement in and forget this ever happened??
    Yes you can just exit and NOT SAVE CHANGES, all is ok. And, most importantly you didn't WRITE anything to your ECU, so your double fine.

I would go back to the car and re-read a fresh file and label it properly, then stash it away somewhere for safe keeping and save it as something like "My Camaro 000 - 100% stock DO NOT CHANGE" for reference. Delete all other files, start fresh. You can also go to your stock file in Windows and right click, choose properties and select READ ONLY. THis should stop any changes being made to it by accident...

Then, you can open your stock file then Save As (or simply create a copy by right clicking COPY then PASTE), and rename to a new name such as: My Camaro 001 Disabled Trac Control... etc. Then go make changes only to this new file, when your done save them and make that file 002, 003, etc. I keep a text file explaining the differences in each version of file, then I save my datalogs as 001, 002, etc also.

Once you make your first modified file such as 001, then you just open that one, make changes and save it as 002, 003, etc. Or, if you dont want all the files building up, then just keep saving to the same one, just make sure it's not your stock one.

When I converted to 2 Bar using that OS Enhancement you showed, I starting using 2B001, and so on. I'm currently at about 2B174 or so.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 03-22-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    Yes you can just exit and NOT SAVE CHANGES, all is ok. And, most importantly you didn't WRITE anything to your ECU, so your double fine.

I would go back to the car and re-read a fresh file and label it properly, then stash it away somewhere for safe keeping and save it as something like "My Camaro 000 - 100% stock DO NOT CHANGE" for reference. Delete all other files, start fresh. You can also go to your stock file in Windows and right click, choose properties and select READ ONLY. THis should stop any changes being made to it by accident...

Then, you can open your stock file then Save As (or simply create a copy by right clicking COPY then PASTE), and rename to a new name such as: My Camaro 001 Disabled Trac Control... etc. Then go make changes only to this new file, when your done save them and make that file 002, 003, etc. I keep a text file explaining the differences in each version of file, then I save my datalogs as 001, 002, etc also.

Once you make your first modified file such as 001, then you just open that one, make changes and save it as 002, 003, etc. Or, if you dont want all the files building up, then just keep saving to the same one, just make sure it's not your stock one.

When I converted to 2 Bar using that OS Enhancement you showed, I starting using 2B001, and so on. I'm currently at about 2B174 or so.
    Finally! 10_SS thank you very much!!

OK didn't save changes and deleted that file. Glad I don't have to uninstall HPT and start from scratch.

I will put back the stock file from my old computer and save it again to this one. Good idea making it a read only.
    Then I'll make the changes I did before this unfortunate event took place.

Been thinking on getting the videos from the Tuning School, even more so now.

With over 174 modifications I can't imagine the tuning hours you must have spent in you Camaro. What bolt-on parts did you use? And how much horse power have you added?

I'm excited again to start programming. I just have to make sure not to go poking around wondering, what's that do, what's that do...

I appreciate everyones input.
    Blueboy

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
    Finally! 10_SS thank you very much!!

OK didn't save changes and deleted that file. Glad I don't have to uninstall HPT and start from scratch.

I will put back the stock file from my old computer and save it again to this one. Good idea making it a read only.
    Then I'll make the changes I did before this unfortunate event took place.

Blueboy
    The file from your old computer is all you need, just copy it to new computer, you don't need to flash it back then read with the new computer. Just copy it to the new computer, make a copy, rename it and open it in editor, and go from there. No need to flash and read to transfer to new computer.

Well when you do say 5-10 per item, they add up fast. Allot are just playing around with stuff, learning what does what. Then you fine tune everything like TPS opening rate, throttle movement, decel fuel cut off, transients, MAF/VE tuning, knock, etc. Since this is not real time it takes allot of scanning and tweaking a table then more scanning then tweaking a table to get things right. Could have left it alone my mod 10 or so, but you get bored and curious and start tweaking again, or discover something not right and start tweaking again.

You also may want to apply all of the "patches" right from the start since I had my tune dialed in fine then later read up on the patches and added them, then my fueling changed a bit so I had to start over tuning MAF and VE again... little stuff really
    Last edited by 10_SS; 03-22-2017 at 07:12 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    The file from your old computer is all you need, just copy it to new computer, you don't need to flash it back then read with the new computer. Just copy it to the new computer, make a copy, rename it and open it in editor, and go from there. No need to flash and read to transfer to new computer,
    Ya that would be the easy way of doing it but I can't find my flash drive.

Anyway, long story short, all is good!

The write did fail about 5 times but it finally was a success. I had that happen only once before. Everything is off, except there is something under the dash that sounds like a motor but it's not the heater, because I pulled the circuit and it's still running.

Time to start tuning!

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus