Thread: Need 2002 Express van 5.7L 4L60e 4WD base tune file (factory)

Need 2002 Express van 5.7L 4L60e 4WD base tune file (factory)

Good day all, I've totally rebuilt a 96 GMC Sierra K1500 over the past year with the following mods;

New HT383e engine, rebuilt/beefed up 4L60e (I know, I know - should've 4L80e'd it), rebuilt/beefed up rear axle and added Detroit helical locker, 6" Procomp lift with 35x12.50 BFG All Terrains, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,..... the list is extensive,....basically, no bolt/nut left unturned.

Additionally swapped the ECM to 0411 (with the above mentioned 2002 Express van base tune already installed from Lextech).

I took it to my local tuner/dyno'd tuned the truck (got good numbers for a 4WD truck),......then, purchased HPTuners so I could play a little with it too.

Problem now is I need the requested base tune to bounce baseline against all the changes made to date. I've looked in the HPTuners repository, there is a factory base tune for a 2002 Express van with 5.7L but, it has the 4L80e (I need the 4L60e with 4WD version). I've also looked online (a lot), but can't find one. I found on gmtruckcentral they have the base tune I need but, its EFI-Live based (not our beloved HPTuners). When I tried to download/open from their site, HPTuners said "wrong file name" or something like that.

I know a lot of these year trucks with 4L60e's have had the 0411 swap,...any of you guys have the base Express van file or, maybe point me to where I can get one? Someone asked me for my tune a few weeks ago, but, I knew it had been heavily modified thus knew it wouldn't serve what he was looking for.

Much appreciate y'alls help guys,....this is a great forum with outstanding experts in the field.

It doesn't really matter if they came with a 4L80e or not, it's not going to change really anything on the enigne side that you'd want to be looking at. Same with 4WD, good luck finding one of those. I only seen the 4WD express vans come later on with the 5.3 and 6.0 motors.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks for responding 5FDP.

I had my stock 96 4L60e rebuilt with all kinds of Sonnax and Alto goodies (list too long to post/simply tried to build a good one),...yet now after only 353 miles, it's got a quick (yet, very load) shudder when it downshifts from OD into 3rd,....admittedly, I'm romping on it when it does this,.... and it feels like it's slipping all the way up through 3rd in the process. And now the trans fluid is starting to smell a bit burnt. I know that HT383e ain't that strong to smoke this trans that quick (considering the tranny mods made).

I'm trying to find the stock 5.7L/4L60e/4WD file so I can bounce stock settings off what my local tuner guy changed,...so I can "maybe" eliminate the ECM/tune changes made as a potential culprit,.......good Lord knows I don't want to pull that tranny out again and rebuild it.

Anything else I can do/anywhere else I can look? Thanks for helping a newbie out guys, don't know tuning yet, but man I'm learning a lot on this forum.

I am no expert but that does not keep me from doing this stuff every day and getting better at it.

Sounds like a fun project. Maybe Lextech would send you the file he originally used. He is a great guy, very helpful.

As far as an issue with the downshift from 4th to 3rd....the only thing happening in that trans is the 2nd/4th band is releasing. The main weakness (3rd/4th clutch pack) should not be affected. There are a few tricks people do on the 2nd servo to get it to release the 2/4 band quicker during this downshift, possible that the spring on the back side of the 2nd servo is weak, or the check-ball for 3rd could be gummed up. You might try a medium throttle manual downshift from 4th to 3rd using the shifter to see if you get a similar noise. It is possible that the pump is not producing enough volume at low rpm/low load but I would expect other symptoms if that were the case. It seems to me that a bad sprag could cause a bit of noise as it gets loaded by the release of the 2/4 band but I cannot remember off of the top of my head.

I like the idea that a well built 4L60E can handle the riggers of this kind of stress (383,tall tires) but there are a number of variables that can keep a 4L60E from living a long life even if it has the best parts money can buy. Run-out in the front or back halfs can have a big effect. Here's to hoping you won't have to pull it back out! Good luck!

Jeff (LEXTECH) uses EFI LIVE so I don't think that will do you any good. Any stock 01 Express Van tune will give you an idea if you compare the files. I'd love to take a look at the current tune that you. I'm in the beginning stages of learning this stuff too and am having issues reading my VE tables. I'm also running a 383/4L60E but I have an 80 and 14 bolt sitting on the floor waiting to go in. Are you still running the spider assembly, upgraded to MFI spider or external injectors?

Thanks for responding guys.

I contacted LexTech and your right, he runs EFI-Live (I purchased my 0411/connectors w/base tune done up from him for $170 -good deal IMO). You may have hit the nail on the head Snowbound,...I'll try to post both the tune and a scan/run file today/tomorrow (when I make my next run),....maybe someone can have a look at them and say "all you got to change is this or that,....newbie." Today/tomorrow scan won't have any WOT runs, I'm putt-putting around right now,...trans is close to failure.

I went with the MPFI upgrade from Delphi. Originally wanted to go with the marine intake with external/rewired injectors, but decided to wait till the supercharger goes on. 5.7L Vortec stock intake flow/stock 19# injectors are good up to roughly 480 crank horsepower (so I've read), so,...to get my truck running, I popped the MPFI upgrade on it. I must say, that HT383e is worlds apart from a stock 5.7L. I put Hedman Hustler long tube headers and 2-1/2" exhaust with Flowmaster Delta flow 50's,....sound good, low rumble at idle and growls at WOT. I'm pleased,....if only I could get my trans figured out,...I'd like to finally drive it with confidence,....

Snowbound, how's that 60e holding up? You running the HT383e? If so, what 60e upgrades did you do? I went stupid with Sonnax parts and still have 4-3 downshift hard/short shudder under a lead foot. 1st and 2nd run out ok under load. Going today to have a trans shop hook it up/test with both line pressure gauge and software to diagnose what's going on. I don't want to pull/rebuild trans again till I know exactly why this trans failed. It shouldn't have,....

IARLLC, thanks man, I'll try that manual downshift 4-3 (medium throttle) and let y'all know what happens.

I have base tune for your truck, and of course I have HP Tuners. email me, [email protected]

Thank you, thank you, thank you man! I was stumped. I sent an email a couple minutes ago. I truly appreciate it brotherman.

I haven't made a run/scan yet (to post on here) but, will do shortly.

Senior Tuner
    Here's what I pulled out of mine when I bought it (used)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Jimmyblue, I see your roughly down the road from me,....I'm an Ol' Plant City hick (grew up in the sticks between PC and Lakeland). Thanks for the help man, truly appreciate it, I'll check it out this afternoon.

Right now trying to decide on who has the best 4L60e trans for my truck/engine/lift with 35" tires. I'm between Performabuilt and Finish Line Transmissions right now. I don't want to go 4L80e just yet,...cutting driveshafts, moving cross members, segment swapping tune/re-tuning, etc, etc. My truck recently dyno's at #355 RWTQ,....a lot better than stock, but, still ain't that much,....so should be able to build a 4L60e to handle it. When I supercharge the HT383e in a couple years, I'll upgrade to the 80e, and then re-tune/re-dyno them as a pair.

Since we have a lot of haul tater/performance guys on here!...who do y'all think would be the best shop,...Performabuilt or FLT? Or, others? I done went the local rebuilder route,....don't get me started talkin bout that dude.

Potential Tuner
    jimmyblue is that a stock tune for 5.7 4l60e 4x4

Potential Tuner
    Did u ever find the base tune

Potential Tuner
    does any one have the base tune for 2002 express van download

screenshot.02-03-2024 17.01.17.png

(sometimes this feels a lot like trying to kick water uphill)