Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Courses for newbies

Tuner in Training

Courses for newbies

Hi all
    I just purchased hptuners pro and a wideband for my 2012 Camaro SS

Despite my automotive engineering background and reading some books
    I don't have any experience with mapping

I need like a tutorial for the gen 4 that I can follow step by step to get good results
    Will possibly stop at a cam/heads with Boltons on this car

Basically there is the hpacademy flash course and thetuning school level 1 home or video (not sure if there is any difference between the 2)

Although thetuning school looks more tailor made to my needs I heard some not so good reviews about the book and that they learnt most through directly ticketing Mike

I believe both are somewhat expensive

There is also a guide by Lasota racing as well as ermperformance tuning.com

What do you guys recommend and what are the pros vs cons for each if you can help with that
    Thnx so much in advance
    Inspiro
    Last edited by Inspiro; 03-18-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Look for Mowton's screen name on here, he has a course you can take with some extra material to get you started. Very nice guy to work with.

There in a way can never be a complete step by step quide for some of this stuff because not all GEN 4 computers are exactly the same. Many of them have completely different settings and tables depending on application, some of it can't be spoon fed like you want it and it just takes time and trial/error on your part to understand it all. Heck even me, I've had this software for 5 years and I'm still learning new stuff all the time.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Look for Mowton's screen name on here, he has a course you can take with some extra material to get you started. Very nice guy to work with.

There in a way can never be a complete step by step quide for some of this stuff because not all GEN 4 computers are exactly the same. Many of them have completely different settings and tables depending on application, some of it can't be spoon fed like you want it and it just takes time and trial/error on your part to understand it all. Heck even me, I've had this software for 5 years and I'm still learning new stuff all the time.
    I agree nothing is complete, my target for now is to be able to do a "good" or a "very good " tune mysef relying on one or more of these courses/books
    I checked ermperformancetuning.com and
    honestly got lost what to choose, were you referring to start with the "ERM Performance Tuning Tutorial" ??

Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspiro View Post
    I checked ermperformancetuning.com and
    honestly got lost what to choose
    I'm in the same boat.
    For me, I need something a 3rd grader can understand. This HPT program is really cool but what does what is overwhelming.

I will be following this thread, hopefully someone will have something not so complicated.

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

2007 Silverado NBS 1500 4x4 Z71 LT 5.3 4l60e

Tuner in Training
    it seems there is quite a bit of info lacking on the Gen 4 and Gen 5 stuff, that most experienced tuners know already because they started in the Gen 3 stuff and learned it there.
    (any of you OG's who read this, please feel free to correct any of my posts if you see something that is not correct)

I understand that it's confusing and frustrating to read through all the Gen 3 stuff knowing most of it won't work with your Gen 4 setup, but there's a lot of good basic info there that will help.

i've also found that it helps to pull your factory tune, and play with it, compare it with others of your same engine/ecu/induction combination, see where things are different (compare feature is useful here) see where they are the same.
    I'm definitely still on the learning side, though i have the advantage of using a few different types of tuning software on many different engines(megasquirt, apexi powerfc, subaru OS [ecutune/romraider]; Rotary, boxer, v6, v8). some extensively, some only a few small changes. knowing the basic steps of what to tune in what order is most important, and yet one of the most debated subjects.

When tuning ANY engine, personally I like to:
    Get a basemap.
    Something that will let the engine run and idle to operating temp, it is usually pig rich, and the timing everywhere is retarded a lot. idle is often high, and untuned.
    Tune the VE/fueling
    use a wideband, and info from forums, and others who regularly tune the engine you're tuning. they'll know roughly what lambda the engine likes to run at, and likes to make power at. Make your own decision on where you want your fueling ratios to be and tune for that ratio. Get ALL the cells you can tuned to this lambda, not just WOT (too many tuners in my area only tune a WOT pull, maybe 4 dyno pulls and call it tuned).
    Tune the Spark advance.
    use your knock sensors, or det cans, and best case a Dyno. Tune the spark advance in conditions you'll most likely be driving in. 80+ days means you don't want your iat to be 45 while tuning. on a dyno you can tune spark advance for max torque, while paying attention to the knock feedback/cans. if you get knock, pull some timing. Once you think you're done with the timing in all the cells you can, smooth the curve (no spikes, holes) and then pull a degree or three out for safety's sake.
    Tune the VE again.
    yes, again, though this time around it'll be much closer to where you want it, and if you have your VE and Injector settings correct, it truthfully shouldnt' have changed any reasonable amount.
    Tune the spark advance again.
    yes, again. (like above, it shouldn't have to change much, if at all)
    Smooth graphs
    go over all the maps/graphs you have changed, and make sure there are no holes/spikes in them, a well setup engine doesn't change VE/spark from one cell to a neighboring cell drastically, then back on the third.
    Tune the Idle
    Adjust idle timing/fueling to get the car to run smoothly at idle, some ECU's have separate idle control (most factory ECU's do) and that needs to be adjusted separately from the regular VE/Spark tuning.
    Tune the startup
    adjust the ASE (afterstart enrichment), priming pulse, cranking pulse, and other start related items to get the engine to crank and catch quickly while at operating temperature. On a rotary, this is very difficult.
    Tune the Warmup enrichment/cold start enrichment
    this one often takes the most time, and is very season dependant. adjust fueling offsets and enrichments at the temperature you are and above, until you get a smooth start and run. then if you'll likely never see colder, extrapolate and guess where it should be when colder just in case. It's difficult to tune when you only have one chance per day to log and adjust (maybe 2 if you don't have anything else to do) and let me tell you, on a rotary, this is also a pain
    Go over my work again.

now because these ECU's have the PE (performance enrichment) we have to tune twice. once for out of PE, and once for in PE. out of PE is specifically designed for good fuel economy while keeping the engine alive, so it can be much more aggressive with leaning out the fueling (usually set to stoich). IN PE is where you want the engine to run safely, it's where you're beating on the engine, lot's of load, lot's of heat; so tune for it.

you'll hear a lot about Open and Closed loop tuning. these are really just different methods of tuning. Open loop is generally quicker, and better for the vehicle if you know what you're doing or if you've changed a lot of things that affect how the engine runs. BUT it costs more (wideband) and takes more care not to melt/destroy your engine. Closed loop takes the factory tuning corrections, and uses them as your telltale for adjusting things. it works well for small changes in how the engine runs, and is cheaper because it doesn't "Require" a wideband; but it takes a long time and if the tune is way off to begin with you may be melting/destroying your engine for a while till you get the tuning/logging/tuning/logging done.

I find dyno tuning is a lot like Open and Closed Loop tuning. on a dyno it's much easier to open loop tune, because you have full control of what the engine is doing and you don't have to care about being safe on the road. and usually it's cost prohibitive to rent a dyno for three solid days while you try to Closed loop tune on a dyno.

Without a dyno Closed loop tuning is easiest because you don't have to worry too much about if you're melting things. if setup anywhere close to where it should be the ECU will try and correct for the tuning discrepancies, and you log these to know where to adjust what. and renting the road is quite cheap when compared with renting a dyno.

hopefully this brings together a few of the basics, and helps you understand a bit more.
    Last edited by Ironhydroxide; 03-18-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Ironhydroxide for taking the time to write that
    Every bit helps

As indicated previously, Mowton's tutorial/reference data is well worth the money. Ed is also releasing version 1.4 pretty soon and you will have the latest and greatest. The amount of information is significant. Send Ed a message and he will hook you up.
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Thank you for the kind words relating to our Tutorial and other products. Hundreds of hours went into its development and embedded video's and is constantly being updated. Version 1.4 is due for release in April. You are also provided a 1 year free upgrade for subsequent updates and new releases.

As far as what to order, there is a cart located on our website home page specifically for the tutorial. For our other products please feel free to ask all the questions you would like to help see if any of our other products may assist you in your learning process.

Here is a link to a small sample of the tutorial......

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9hj16cyso...x-8UaoCIa?dl=0

Please feel free to ask any questions....

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner
    I have been chasing my tale with this stuff for probably 15 years. that's when I first bought the software. I finally broke down and bought the tuning school course a couple of weeks ago because I got screwed by a tuner that did my truck. all I can say is it was like someone lifted a blindfold off my face. I have been reading on here for many years and now a lot of it makes sense. I'm definitely confident up to gen 4 on basic tuning now. good luck
    2010 silverado 6.2 ,Doug Thorley try-y headers, cats deleted ,spectra air cold air, lifted with 33's,tsp vvt 1.2 cam hp tuners

Tuner
    Just to clarify, "open loop" and "closed loop" are modes of ECU operation they aren't tuning methods or anything else. The way some folks talk about them, I can see it being potentially confusing/misleading to folks just learning the ropes. Put simply, closed loop utilizes feedback (o2 sensors, either wideband or narrowband, depending on the vehicle) to tell the ECU if it's hitting it's "commanded" target or not. Open loop doesn't use any feedback, the ECU simply looks up a value on a pre-defined table and squirts the specified amount of fuel.

Anyway, as to tuning process...

The first place to start when tuning is your fuel. You *HAVE* to have your injector/fuel settings correct. For most folks, that's easy because you're running factory fuel setups so you can just re-use the factory fuel settings.

The next thing you have to sort out is your airflow. Again, most folks are going to be running factory-ish airflow setups so you will have a solid jumping off point. That said, GM did make things a bit more complicated here because they use both SD and MAF methods. Given that the E38 ECU is (seemingly) SD-only below 4k RPMs, it's probably best to start with SD first. The general process is to drive around and get a pile of data so you can go back through the various airflow points on the VE map and see how much things were off in the fuel trims. You want your combined fuel trim on each cell to be as close to 0 as possible, but there's some give-and-take here as sometimes a particular cell will need +3% at one load point, and -3% at another (in that case, I would just leave the cell alone).

I wouldn't go too crazy on the CL airflow at this point. Just get it so that things are reasonable and make sense. If you're within 3-5% for this go around, you're off to an OK start. Use this data to roughly plot where you "ought" to be at WOT. It won't be perfect, but you don't want to be off by 30% either.

At this point, I'd go into your WOT (PE) table and ensure it's nice and fat/rich (on an NA car I'd probably start around 11.5 or so, unless your air metering up top is likely/expected to be *WAY* off, in which case I'd drop down to the low 10's if not 9's). Also go into the PE timing tables and do yourself the favor of putting your low octane timing values in the high octane map. Do a short WOT pull or two (not all the way to redline; up to say 4k and dial that in, then "trend" that out to 7k, do another pull to say 5k and dial in, then to 6k, etc.), and see how your actual AFR's line up to your expected AFR's. Make the necessary adjustments to the various MAF points and try again. Once you're within 1% error (the lower the better) you've dialed your SD and MAF in. Don't go too nuts trying to get everything perfectly to 0% error; you never will. There are just too many variables that will creep in from pull to pull. Be reasonable.

Now that you have your airflow reasonably dialed in, you can start to play with timing and AFR (EQ) tables. If you want, restore your high-octane table from your backup tune (you did read the HPT manual and create an original/back-up tune, right?) and work from there, or work from the reduced values you copied in before you tested your airflow. So far as the best values to put in those tables, that's a matter of dyno testing and/or experience. Different engines and setups like different things. Sometimes you'll make more power with a slightly leaner AFR and a few degrees less timing, and other times the car will prefer to be a point or two fatter on AFR and have an extra degree or two of advance. "Max power rich" on gasoline is typically considered to be ~12.5 AFR (EQ 1.171), and "max power lean" is 13.23 (EQ 1.111). On an N/A car with 93, I'd start at ~12.4 (1.183) and go from there. I've never been a fan of very lean AFR's, even if they do make more power. I'm perfectly content to leave something on the table unless we're talking a spec-class car where every 0.001 WHP matters. Anyhow, most N/A pump-93 vehicles will find their "happy place" between ~12.5 and ~13.2 but it will be hard to tell what AFR is best for you without some method to quantify differences (e.g. dyno or track time). For "street only" guys, you can get a rough gauge by watching 70-90 times (how long it takes to go from 70 mph to 90 mph). If leaning out your AFR drops your 70-90 time by .2 seconds, you know you're making more power.

Timing is a whole other ball of wax; some engines/setups shouldn't be pushed beyond 14-15* of advance, whereas others you can push in as much as 25* (and sometimes even more!). Look at the factory maps as a reference here, but bear in mind that they will do things for emissions reasons as well (again, this is an experience thing). Again, you'll need some sort of objective measure to know if you're getting any value (track, dyno, 70-90 times) -- and watch your knock/KR! Personally, if I see knock I will pull out at least 2x as much timing as the knock/kr reading is indicating. This is because things change, and just because you only got 1* today doesn't mean that in tomorrows weather you won't get 3*. For max-effort situations, you can pull out HALF of the KR reading, and often times your knock count will go to 0; knock is a funny thing as it doesn't take but a degree or two to make it happen, but it will need a few degrees removed to go away (e.g. a knock count of 3 can be resolved by pulling out a single degree of timing so that knock never starts).

At this point, you will have an operable car that's reasonably tuned at WOT. A lot of folks will be content at this point and will just enjoy their vehicle. Others will want to go in and make it drive like a Camry. If you want to really smooth out your car for the street, go back and continue to fine-tune your MAF in both CL and OL, and then look into tuning your "transients" (a.k.a. "acceleration enrichment" and "decel/coasting fuel cut") so that on "tip-in" (when you blip the throttle) or let off the pedal you don't get lean or rich spikes.

This is my process and it works for me. I'm well aware there are plenty of folks who will have a different process and likely won't agree with mine, but I've developed it over 15 years of building/tuning/racing (as well as helping to reverse engineer, develop, and test an EMS or two). Hopefully someone finds this helpful!
    Last edited by sillycon; 03-21-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    2007 Z06 (E38 ECM), stock LS7 short block, .030" milled/ported heads, PLX SM-AFR, MPVI Pro

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sillycon View Post
    Hopefully someone finds this helpful!
    Definitely!

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

2007 Silverado NBS 1500 4x4 Z71 LT 5.3 4l60e

Quote Originally Posted by davez28 View Post
    I have been chasing my tale with this stuff for probably 15 years. that's when I first bought the software. I finally broke down and bought the tuning school course a couple of weeks ago because I got screwed by a tuner that did my truck. all I can say is it was like someone lifted a blindfold off my face. I have been reading on here for many years and now a lot of it makes sense. I'm definitely confident up to gen 4 on basic tuning now. good luck
    Which one did you buy? I bought the coyote cookbook since I that is what I have but I have to switch between the book and finding out the basics. So I still feel like I want to get an entry level course just to make sure I don't miss any basics.

Tuner
    I got the level 1 Book & Video. In my opinion it definitely gives you easy step by step initial start. The only thing that sucks is now I want the level two. The level one included a lot of information for doing heads and cam and some forced induction stuff. I would have rather them given more information on fuel mileage tuning and other things related to a bolt-on only vehicles instead of putting it in the level 2 book. It was still worth every penny for me.

Tuner
    I did the GM course. I'm not sure about ford
    Last edited by davez28; 03-22-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Dear sillicon
    Big thanks for this writeup
    I really appreciate everyone's help to simplify things for newbies like me
    I understand most of the things you are trying to explain
    But my main concern at this stage is which table is for what that's why I'm looking more for a tutorial after which I can come asking for help here regarding specific questions

Let me give you a couple of silly questions I have which irritate me and at the same time tells me I need a good tutorial and to learn ALOT before I actually do my first tune

1. To tune the SD
    I should go to Edit>VVE
    Change as needed then> calculate coefficient's
    Is that right?

2.for the fuel trim(CL)
    Honestly I'm not sure exactly which table to work on!?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Thank you for the kind words relating to our Tutorial and other products. Hundreds of hours went into its development and embedded video's and is constantly being updated. Version 1.4 is due for release in April. You are also provided a 1 year free upgrade for subsequent updates and new releases.

As far as what to order, there is a cart located on our website home page specifically for the tutorial. For our other products please feel free to ask all the questions you would like to help see if any of our other products may assist you in your learning process.

Ed M
    Hi Ed
    I thought it might be better to post my questions here

I belive the current book is based on hp tuners very 2.x and 3.0
    Plz correct me if I'm wrong
    Which version will the new book use?

What vehicles /engines/ECM's are used in both books as examples?

Thand in advance

Tuner
    Let me give you a couple of silly questions I have which irritate me and at the same time tells me I need a good tutorial and to learn ALOT before I actually do my first tune

1. To tune the SD
    I should go to Edit>VVE
    Change as needed then> calculate coefficient's
    Is that right?

2.for the fuel trim(CL)
    Honestly I'm not sure exactly which table to work on!?
    I have yet to use the VVE tool in HPT (I'm still getting familiar with it myself), but as I understand it that is the correct process, yes.

So far as your second question, in simple terms the fuel trims are the product of three things:
    1) basic injector setup/config (e.g. fuel pressure, configured flow rate, configured battery offsets, etc.)
    2) air flow metering
    3) o2 sensor output

I'll again take for granted that in this context we can safely (and correctly) assume that #1 (basic fuel config) is spot on thanks to the GM engineers. This leaves your trims up to two things: air metering/mapping and o2 sensor(s). The one you have control over is your air metering. In this instance, that would be your VVE tables, and your MAF tables (Engine > Airflow > General > MAF Calibration, both "Airflow vs Freq. Low" and "Airflow vs Freq. High"). The particular table that needs editing to correct a particular airflow/rpm point is variable depending on a bunch of factors which is why the tuning guides suggest you lock in SD mode to tune SD, and lock in MAF mode to tune the MAF, and THEN go back to blended mode if you want to.

Now, mind that you do have a 3rd variable -- your o2 sensors. Your o2 sensors can be your best friend, or your worst enemy. Old sensors can respond more slowly than is helpful to you which can cause you to chase your tune/tail in an endless cycle of confused aggravation. My personal mantra with sensors (particularly O2's) has become "when in doubt, change it out!". These days sensors are darn cheap. Too cheap to putz about with on toys that are decidedly NOT cheap enough to make preventable mistakes on. I can't tell you how many times I've chased a tune because someone swore "the o2 sensor is brand new, I just changed it!" only to find out that it was "just changed" a year ago and it was run all that time with the car setup so rich that the "new" o2 had gotten completely fouled out. Another issue with O2's (particularly widebands) is that the heater circuits can quietly die (there's no "dummy light") which will invalidate the sensor readings (it may be at the right temp to read correctly, or it may not be; and you can rest assured that for half of your data it will be right, and half of your data will be wrong -- without your knowing which is which) leading you to tune the car with bad data and also potentially give yourself a good run in circles. What's that phrase again? Repeat after me: "when in doubt, change it out"!

Start yourself off in SD-only mode and get your "tuning legs" there with the VVE and timing tables in the lower RPM's with lower (non-WOT) airflows. With modern ECU's (at low engine loads), so long as you are reasonable and take your time (e.g. a degree of timing or two or a few percent airflow adjustment one way or another) it's pretty darn hard to make a change that is such a big/bad mistake that the ECU won't be able to save you from yourself and keep the engine together so you can try again.
    2007 Z06 (E38 ECM), stock LS7 short block, .030" milled/ported heads, PLX SM-AFR, MPVI Pro

Hi Ed
    I thought it might be better to post my questions here

I belive the current book is based on hp tuners very 2.x and 3.0
    Plz correct me if I'm wrong
    Which version will the new book use?

What vehicles /engines/ECM's are used in both books as examples?

Thand in advance
    The Tutorial's latest version is 1.3 and has been updated to include VCM Suite usage to 3.4. Tutorial version 1.4 is in process (April/May release) and will include updated/corrected modules 1-7 as well as a new Spark/Ignition theory of operation and tuning strategies Module and a bonus A4/A6 Transmission tuning module :-). The tutorial also comes with a 1 year free update period including version 1.3 to 1.4. Version 1.4 will increase the cost of the product due to increased technical and tuning content so buying 1.3 now is an instant $35 savings.......

Attached is an overview of the Tutorial as well as our one on one, interactive Training curriculum which we conduct right from your computer.....its like a personal class just for the student with unlimited real-time Q&A. Most students will complete our full course in 10 to 15 hours which covers beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. In addition and be ready to tune stock, bolt-on's, H/C/I and SC/FI setups.

Our training philosophy is to teach how the PCM and sensors interface together and which tables are affected/effected so you are learning how and why....not just a step by step editor table update approach. You will engineer your tune and understand why it works or doesn't and what you need to do to correct the issue(s). It is near impossible to develop a step by step tuning process for every Gen III-Gen V platform due to differenced in Editor table content/context and Scanner parameters. That is why we believe in learning the lower level operational details so you can develop your custom tuning strategies/processes based on the platform you are working.

The Tutorial and Training Curriculum covers all GM Gen III and GEN IV in detail as well as the use of HP Tuners VCM Editor and Scanner. The Power Point presentations include a 2004, 2008 and 2011 embedded tuning files to support the discussions. The Scanner/Editor operation is pretty close to universal as its operation is very similar to Ford and Dodge platforms and will go a long way in getting you operational on non-GM platforms.

There are Power Point Addendum's covering Wide band setup/use, Filter design/verification and MAF/VE street tuning as well.

Hope this helps guys. More info can be found on the website.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 03-22-2017 at 06:55 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Here are some extremely good write ups to get you started on the scanner. The scanner in this software needs to be learned before you tune. The data you log is what you are using to change data in the tune. If you log data incorrectly or don't have things set-up properly, it will give you bad data and therefore a bad tune. Learn the tables in your tune and what affects what. Also, check out the help file in the software. Look at the gen3 write ups and they for the most part carry over to the gen4 stuff aside from using VVE instead of a normal VE table.
    https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...tarted-Threads
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post

Ed M
    Just ordered it..if I had opened my eyes and known this was out there I would have ordered it a long time ago?
    2010 silverado 6.2 ,Doug Thorley try-y headers, cats deleted ,spectra air cold air, lifted with 33's,tsp vvt 1.2 cam hp tuners