Thread: Newbie Tune Question

Tuner in Training

Newbie Tune Question

Ok guys please bear with me as this is brand new to me. . Did a swap 5.3 i to my 1980 trans am. Just got my hptuners and learned enough to turn off enough things to get ut running. Im excited! However we are eye burning rich. First let me tell you what i have. 5.3 with ls1 intake. 30lb injectors. Headers. Maf for the 5.3. No e trans. Soooi i am guessing i need to do some fine tuning for the different intake and larger than stock injectors. Can you experts tell me in laymans terms where to start? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Just dont get over ny head technical just yet. Im learning.

Change the injector flow rate to match the size injectors you are running. If they are stock injectors from a different vehicle find a tune file in the repository and copy over the injector data.

You'll have to retune both airflow tables, as in the primary VE and the MAF curve.

Without cats you'll never really get rid of the smell or burning eyes stuff from the exhaust.

Get yourself a wideband and you'll really know how the fueling is.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Wideband o2 sensors? Right now i installed the stock 5.3 sensors. Are you saying to get wideband? The injectors i bought are cheapos off ebay. If a camaro 5.7 has same intake and close injectirs can i download a stock tune for camaro firebird ls1? And for now the headers are open till i can drive it to muffler shop. And thanks

If they are just ebay injectors there won't be any data for them, so you'll have to make it yourself. Not ideal of course but it's likely your only choice because camaro/firebirds run like 28lb/hr injectors from the factory. If you look at the injector flow rate table in the editor you could put 29 at 0kpa and then 31 at 80kpa, then just interpolate between those two numbers. Should avg out to around 30lb/hr in the middle.

As for the wideband, yes want/need to buy one. Not two, just one wideband. The stock narrowband sensors are still wanted/needed but they can not tell you the actual air to fuel ratio going through the exhaust. They can only report that the mixture is lean or rich of the stoich value, which would show up in the fuel trims saying that it's lean or rich based on positive trims or negative trims. For the most part you could tune everywhere outside of full throttle with the trims to correct the airflow tables but once you start wanting to tune WOT you need the wideband to tell you what is going on. You wouldn't want to damage the motor because it ran way too lean and popped a piston or it's running so rich that you are losing tons of power.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Man you are my hero. Now i gotta figure out how to apply all that into the program... does it need to be running to do these things? Its so loud i dont start it at night.. in other words will i be doing this live or will i sit down with the laptop and configure then plug in and write changes?

The injector table can just be done on the laptop, then you flash it in whenever you need to.

The airflow tables or anything like that you need to have the car running and you driving it to collect data in the scanner to put towards correcting the tables.

Tuner in Training
    Ahhhh i havent even opened the scanner yet. So i read the data from the scanner and then tweek away on the editor then rewrite correct?

Tuner in Training
    Correct.