Thread: Wideband bung

Tuner in Training

Wideband bung

My AEM 30-410 wideband came in yesterday! The instructions say to weld the bung 18" from the exhaust ports. And at least 36" if you expect EGT's over 1500* or turbo or extended high RPM's AND preferably BEFORE THE CAT.
    My truck has both R&L cat's about 8" off the manifold.

So how am I supposed to keep the bung 18" from the exhaust ports?

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

2007 Silverado NBS 1500 4x4 Z71 LT 5.3 4l60e

In that situation you can't and that is still fine.

I've installed the wideband right next the drivers side o2 sensor without any problems, it's not going to hurt the sensor at all. When other people tune vehicles like in shops, they just remove one of the pre-cat o2 sensors and install their wideband straight into that spot.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks again 5fdp!
    I was thinking that would be the way to go.

I’m no expert but I have read on the WWW that you can get both NB and WB from one wideband unit using a narrowband simulator. That means you can use a stock front sensor bung for both functions, no welding in an extra bung for the WB sensor. It’s cheaper, easier and it works fine… I guess.

Also read in dyno shops another way of doing it is to use a tailpipe sniffer. I suppose they know how to compensate for the lack of O2"s from the cat.

God Bless America ! ! !
    Thank Jesus

2007 Silverado NBS 1500 4x4 Z71 LT 5.3 4l60e

Tuner in Training
    I used two Innovate LC2's in my build, replacing the front O2's, LC2's are dual channel, so you can calibrate one to mimic a narrowband, and then use the other for your wideband reading. very useful.