Thread: Lifter Death - Rebuild leads to Tuning query

Potential Tuner

Lifter Death - Rebuild leads to Tuning query

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, 6.0 L L76 engine

lifter died so in for a penny, in for a lb. Decided to do a full DOD delete and some other work since the car has 149K on the clock.

DOD delete kit, new LS3 rockers (because of the noise), new GMPP LS3 Hot Cam, New LS7 lifters. new oil pump and assorted other bits.

Car started on stock tune - surprised us as it ran and kept running for a while. got hotter started to stumble - idle irratic always. Reved - but it would die if you dropped off the throttle quick. Yes we knew it would need tuning this was mostly to get the oil going and check the rockers and pushrods out.

I asked in other G8 forums if I someone could send me links to a stock Pontiac G8 GXP Automatic tune. So I could base line to the LS3 auto car.

I got 2 that I'm working with but any help would be appreciated. Also with the GMPP hot cam I'm now at or near the LS376/480 crate engine so if anyone has a tune or a line for those I'd also greatly appreciate it.

I am wanting to go for driveability not power since I DD this car. Thank you again.

Potential Tuner
    So attached is the tune I am using now. I will say I'm out of my element with this as I've not taken the opportunity to learn tuning with my previous car. And this one is way more complicated than my GTO ever was.

To that end. Note - new cam is the GMPP LS3 Hot Cam. I'll post specs if I need to Car is a Pontiac G8-GT. SO 6.0L base engine but full DOD delete, new cam etc. 6L80E automatic.

Conditions currently.

Cold starts - no problem. Warm/hot starts - has to have a flick of the throttle to keep going.
    surges a bit - but I expect a touch of that with the cam.
    Bucks the transmission if in D, on Brake, at a stop light for say 1min or longer. This varies but it does take a minute or more to do it.

Sets the p0172 and p0175 code after about 20 -30 minutes of driving. I think its more running time than condition as it happens most often when coasting or low throttle after driving about 20-30 minutes.

We are having some issues making a log file - so that's the next step to get.

But If anyone has any tips of thoughts on this current tune please let me know. Oh and also the trans tuning.

Thank you.2009 G8 GT mods 3132017 WITH TM DKB REV A.hpt

Getting the idle airflow tables in will help you with the starting issues for the most part and the rest can/should be fixed with the MAF/VVE tuning. Both of those things must be done for the change in camshaft. There are a few write ups in the VCM scanner section about tuning the MAF/VVE with fuel trims if you do not have a wideband right now. For anything WOT related you must purchase a wibeband to tune WOT air fuel ratios.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

whats the part number on the cam?ls3: New #12623063. Old #12603844
    204/211. 551/525 117
    if this is the cam it should run on the stock tune ,

Tuner in Training
    Napalm, what's your email? I can try to help you figure it out.

Potential Tuner
    so I got the GMPP hot cam - not the stock LS3 cam.

its a 219/228 and .525/525 with the stock 1.7 rockers.

LSA of 112

Potential Tuner

Potential Tuner
    some log files to go with the second tune

Log-2017-Mar-23_20-29-02.xlsx