Thread: Want to firm up 4R70w Shifts - Clutch Fill Time?

Tuner in Training

Want to firm up 4R70w Shifts - Clutch Fill Time?

'09 Crown Vic P71 with 4R70W transmission and I'd like to firm up the shifts.

I don't see a table to control line pressure, but from what I can tell I need to drop the Time in the "Trans Upshift Clutch Fill Time" tables (Trans | Auto Shift Properties | Ramp).

Any guidance on this?

You can disconnect the power to the shift pressure solenoid. Every shift will be at full pressure. Just imagine going 25 mph and having 3rd gear rattle the dashboard. I have that issue right now. Line pressure too high or no voltage going to line pressure solenoid.
    Current project:
    2016 Hellcat Charger over the 200 mph...
    Email: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by AWEBB View Post
    You can disconnect the power to the shift pressure solenoid. Every shift will be at full pressure. Just imagine going 25 mph and having 3rd gear rattle the dashboard. I have that issue right now. Line pressure too high or no voltage going to line pressure solenoid.
    Boost pressures can have a similar effect. I learned the hard way that 6th gear was affected by more than one boost pressure and that increasing both boost pressures was like getting slammed in the rear when it shifted into 6th.

shift pressures would be the ideal place I think to firm up shifts. You don't have those tables?

clutch fill time is a slippery slope. It can give the feel of a firmer shift, but also cause 2 or 3 different clutch packs to try and engage if not done incorrectly. I would adjust pressures first. Fill time should be left alone, but I f you have to play roulette with your trans. I wouldn't move them more than .500 mils.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
    clutch fill time is a slippery slope. It can give the feel of a firmer shift, but also cause 2 or 3 different clutch packs to try and engage if not done incorrectly. I would adjust pressures first. Fill time should be left alone, but I f you have to play roulette with your trans. I wouldn't move them more than .500 mils.
    Where can pressures be adjusted in HP Tuners? I don't see any table or cells related to line pressure.

Tuner in Training
    I do not. Under Trans | Auto Shift Properties I only have Clutch Fill Time.

Under Auto Shift Speed it's only RPMs or Speeds to do upshifts/downshifts.

Under Auto TCC there are some Apply/Release speeds, Lockup Rates, Delays... But nothing related to boost pressure or line pressure.

Tuner in Training
    Just to close the loop here: I finally submitted a ticket with support and they got right back to me. The shift pressure tables hadn't been activated for my OS/Processor, but they are now. I am now able to firm up the pressures.