Thread: Best Turbo AFR and timing for launch control?

Tuner in Training

Best Turbo AFR and timing for launch control?

Just curious what others run for AFR on there two step/launch control? Also what timing are you running and how much boost do you build?

I am at 15-17 AFR with 19* timing at 4300 rpm at 105 kpa. Idk if this is good or if it can get better. I run 18lbs of boost at the track on E85, my WB isnt setup for ethanol so it still reads gas AFR.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    u need more fuel by the looks your WB is way leaner then your EQratio commanded ur WB should be around 11.5 AFR to match commanded, also its easier to use lambda then with a scaled tune and ethanol u dont have to worry about calculations it just works all the time

Tuning Addict
    Lambda and air fuel are all the same thing - 15 to 17 afr is WAY lean... 07GTS stated it clearly - if commanding 11.5 - should be doing something very close to this... You can use lambda error or air fuel error to correct... I posted the math parameter for air fuel error if you prefer to use that - even though it's the same as lambda error - in the scanner section on here... It's titled air fuel error for changing stoichiometric and alcohol or something like that? This is all of course if your not talking about the two step cutting fuel throwing your air fuel ratio off? I honestly didn't look at the log...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Haven't done it on a GM so not sure if you can use the Launch Spark to do this or not but on an Evo running rich with retarded timing will generate a lot more boost. EGTs and manifold pressure will rise and the increased pressure will help spool the turbo.

Senior Tuner
    keep in mind, the two step if used as a timing cut, or spark control may show lean on the wb due to the fuel mass going past it.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Senior Tuner
    Good point I forgot to mention. By retarding timing you are creating a misfire and raw fuel is dumped into the exhaust. The wideband will read lean when this happens. This isn't really the kind of thing where you're tuning for a specific AFR or anything you just need to make changes in the right direction until you get your desired results or see no more progress in the desired direction at launch.

My 2-step cuts timing (does not retard). As soon as load is put on the motor, AFR goes happily to commanded. I always presumed it was the excess fuel in the system and spark cut that made for the wonky WB reading.
    2017-03-02 (2).png
    2013 Camaro LSX433 with TFS 245cc cat heads
    AGP 65/65 Twin Turbos into BTR Equalizer intake
    BTR 237/247 .610"/.601" 116+5 (10* overlap) cam
    ID-1700x on AGP Fore Triple w/ Flex Fuel sensor
    Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT box | custom anti-lag

Senior Tuner
    I guess my saying retarded timing was not good wording. I meant retarded from the normal point of spark advance not necessarily less than 0. It just depends how far you take it if you will start getting bad misfires and raw fuel dumping in the exhaust causing a lean reading. Pull enough out and it will happen.