Thread: idle integral explanation

Senior Tuner

idle integral explanation

been wondering about this for a while be havnt seen anyone mention it in any idle threads i have a 2007 E38 LS2, my stock integral adjustments are all positive and it says in the description that rpm high values are subtracted and rpm low values are added which sounds right but if all values are added then how does a high event become lower..?

and in saying this ive noticed even having the positive values in the table (rpm high) if i zero just that rpm high side out my idle goes high 1100rpm so having a positive adding value also lowers my idle, so now im confused does it work backwards since ive been redoing my idle should i add more to that high idle error side to bring idle control down more..? im trying to get more TB control and less spark control because it seems like the spark is just correcting for the TB going little too far now i just want to understand the integral a bit more to know how to adjust it

Advanced Tuner
    normally trying to correct idle fluctuation with the throttle is less stable than spark correction but nothin wrong with trying it. in the past if you wanted more movement in these tables you would apply an over all % change. more responsive give it an additional 10%. less active go the other way. integral, if im not mistaken is like long term throttle trims. they dont move fast and hang out longer. proportional i believe is like a short term table. meaning it is the most active. dont know if that was very clear.

Giving this a read will probably help, https://www.csimn.com/CSI_pages/PIDforDummies.html

Senior Tuner
    thanks guys ill have a bit more of a go when its back on the road after exhaust upgrade, ill have a good read of the link maby a few times so it sinks in