Thread: Why no VE tuning guides for the Late model v6 (LFX)?

Why no VE tuning guides for the Late model v6 (LFX)?

Tuning for MAF is pretty easy. I would like to know how to tune for VE if possible for my LFX.
    So, anybody know how to tune VE on these LFX yet?

thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Tuning the VE is done through tuning the Virtual Volumetric Efficiency table under Edit tab. Is done the same way as tuning the VVE on the other vehicles.

You need fail the MAF sensor so that why you are running in speed density only. I do this by setting MAF fail high to 1 Hz and MAF fail low to max allowed setting (16,000 Hz in your case) under Engine Diag>Airflow>Mass Airflow Sensor. Then I set all MAF codes to MIL on First Error, you can uncheck the SES Enable box so that way the check engine light stays off under Engine Diag>DTC's. I then go to Engine>Airflow>Dynamic>Dynamic Airflow and set High RPM disable to max allowed setting (8192 RPM in your case) and then set High RPM Re-enable to just under max allowed setting (8191 RPM in your case).

Now the engine will be ready to run in speed density mode.

Next part is setting up your Virtual VE table. It is blank from the factory. So it takes quite a bit to get it setup.

I would start off by using a factory equipped 3.6L V6 tune file that has the Virtual VE table, Dynamic and Speedy Density tables already set up. To copy and paste from as a starting point. Example vehicle: 2015 Chevy Colorado 3.6L V6 Automatic Transmission, found from HP Tuners Tune Repository.

Start off by coping and pasting the following
    Edit>Virtual Volumetric Efficiency
    Engine>Airflow>Dynamic>Dynamic Airflow>Zone RPM Boundaries
    Engine>Airflow>Dynamic>Dynamic Airflow>Zone PRatio Boundaries
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>Constant
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>MAP
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>MAP2
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>MAP.RPM
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>MAP.IntakeCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>MAP.ExhaustCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>RPM
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>RPM2
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>RPM.IntakeCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>RPM.ExhaustCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>IntakeCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>IntakeCam2
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>ExhaustCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>ExhaustCam2
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>ExhaustCam.IntakeCam

Then you can start dialing in your Virtual VE table.

I create two Graphs in my scanner that duplicates the Virtual VE table and log LTFT+STFT [Math] on one and AFR Error/EQ Error on the other.

*Note: the x-axis and y-axis of the Virtual VE table are adjustable, so if you need you can modify your rpm range and/or PRatio(MAP/Baro) range if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    Tuning the VE is done through tuning the Virtual Volumetric Efficiency table under Edit tab. Is done the same way as tuning the VVE on the other vehicles.

You need fail the MAF sensor so that why you are running in speed density only. I do this by setting MAF fail high to 1 Hz and MAF fail low to max allowed setting (16,000 Hz in your case) under Engine Diag>Airflow>Mass Airflow Sensor. Then I set all MAF codes to MIL on First Error, you can uncheck the SES Enable box so that way the check engine light stays off under Engine Diag>DTC's. I then go to Engine>Airflow>Dynamic>Dynamic Airflow and set High RPM disable to max allowed setting (8192 RPM in your case) and then set High RPM Re-enable to just under max allowed setting (8191 RPM in your case).

Now the engine will be ready to run in speed density mode.

Next part is setting up your Virtual VE table. It is blank from the factory. So it takes quite a bit to get it setup.

I would start off by using a factory equipped 3.6L V6 tune file that has the Virtual VE table, Dynamic and Speedy Density tables already set up. To copy and paste from as a starting point. Example vehicle: 2015 Chevy Colorado 3.6L V6 Automatic Transmission, found from HP Tuners Tune Repository.

Start off by coping and pasting the following
    Edit>Virtual Volumetric Efficiency
    Engine>Airflow>Dynamic>Dynamic Airflow>Zone RPM Boundaries
    Engine>Airflow>Dynamic>Dynamic Airflow>Zone PRatio Boundaries
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>Constant
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>MAP
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>MAP2
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>MAP.RPM
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>MAP.IntakeCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>MAP.ExhaustCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>RPM
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>RPM2
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>RPM.IntakeCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>RPM.ExhaustCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>IntakeCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>IntakeCam2
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>ExhaustCam
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>ExhaustCam2
    Engine>Airflow>Speedy Density>VE Coefficients>ExhaustCam.IntakeCam

Then you can start dialing in your Virtual VE table.

I create two Graphs in my scanner that duplicates the Virtual VE table and log LTFT+STFT [Math] on one and AFR Error/EQ Error on the other.

*Note: the x-axis and y-axis of the Virtual VE table are adjustable, so if you need you can modify your rpm range and/or PRatio(MAP/Baro) range if needed.
    Thanks Mark!!

By chance how close is your shop to Tracy?

Advanced Tuner
    Approximately 2-3 miles.

Am i only changing certain MAF to Mil on first and uncheck, or anything that says MAF?
    Last edited by benf; 03-06-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I typically set all MAF codes to first. That way it for sure fails the MAF on the first error it sees. And unchecking the SES enable is just so you don't have a check engine light on during the tuning process. That way if you do get another error you know to check it. So do not have to do that step if you do not want to.

Tuner in Training
    Glad I found this information.
    Last edited by lpfeifer1980; 05-26-2017 at 09:49 AM.