Thread: MAF only tuning am I doing it right?

Tuner in Training

MAF only tuning am I doing it right?

so I'm maxing out the factory map sensor so I thought i'd try a maf only tune before getting the 2bar map. I'm unsure if i'm doing it right as i can't find a clear method of accomplishing this. I have the dynamic airflow/High rpm disable set to 0. I am still getting a p0101 code and my transmission shifts like crap until the p0101 code pops up. I really could use some guidance on this.
    MAF Tune 1.hpt
    2 maf only.hpl
    2000 2500 CCSB 4x4 OBS 6.0LQ4 swap, Magnacharger
    2015 SS sedan ls3 w/ LSA
    1989 rx7 ls1 t56
    1970 chevelle 540bbc w/ls fuel injection 0411

Is this a boosted setup?

There really is not need to upgrade to a 2 bar MAP if this isn't, you can get a different factory MAP sensor from a later year car/truck that reads up to around 120kpa before needing a 2 bar.

That VE table looks really rough though, look at how many dips and sharp points there are in the 3D graph. It needs a alot of work still before you get too far. You using a wideband to tune? Or how are you getting the AFR/EQ error to apply towards the VE?

Just set the MAF dynamic airflow to like 200rpm, you shouldn't be setting a DTC when doing this.

I'd also remove that 60 second PE time delay so this vehicle will actually go into PE and have fuel there when you go WOT.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 02-24-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Is this a boosted setup?

There really is not need to upgrade to a 2 bar MAP if this isn't, you can get a different factory MAP sensor from a later year car/truck that reads up to around 120kpa before needing a 2 bar.

That VE table looks really rough though, look at how many dips and sharp points there are in the 3D graph. It needs a alot of work still before you get too far. You using a wideband to tune? Or how are you getting the AFR/EQ error to apply towards the VE?

Just set the MAF dynamic airflow to like 200rpm, you shouldn't be setting a DTC when doing this.

I'd also remove that 60 second PE time delay so this vehicle will actually go into PE and have fuel there when you go WOT.
    This is boosted, I never smoothed the VE table as im trying to go MAF only. When I was messing with the VE before boosting i was tuning with the LTFTs. I do not have a wideband. What would cause the p0101 code then? as I thought tuning the MAF table would fix that.
    2000 2500 CCSB 4x4 OBS 6.0LQ4 swap, Magnacharger
    2015 SS sedan ls3 w/ LSA
    1989 rx7 ls1 t56
    1970 chevelle 540bbc w/ls fuel injection 0411

Not sure why you are getting that code.

I'd honestly just throw the MAF in the tool box and get rid of it, tuning GEN 3 boosted setups with a MAF is just more work. Going straight to speed density with a 2 BAR OS is way easier.

You must have a wideband for tuning, you will only be guessing and pissing in the wind without one. Blowing the motor up because you don't know what fueling is like is not the way you want this to end.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.